Official Gen Con specific only Coronavirus thread
( Locked)
3 4 5 7 9 10 11
3 4 5 7 9 10 11
Posted by cmegus

They just shut down California. Entire state on lockdown...

G

Posted by lore seeker lehane

lehane wrote:
Planet Comicon in Kansas City just announced new dates for August 14th to the 16th. Was supposed to have been this weekend. So people aren't writing August off yet it seems. 

Similarly, Naptown Clutch 2020 (a fighting game tournament in Indy) rescheduled from April 24-25 to August 21-22.

Posted by rfsullivan tinabear81

tinabear81 wrote:
Gencon is my one vacation/year. I am going unless it is cancelled or going might endanger my life, and tbh partner will probably realize I need to not go way before I would ever admit it. 

Same boat here; last year was my first Gen Con, and I was looking forward to the second before Sunday was over. If the Con is there, I'm going, and I'll socially distance my own damn self for 2 weeks and change when I get back if there's still a danger. 

Ironic swag seems like it would be fun. "I Didn't Go To Gen Con 2020 And All I Got Was This T-Shirt And A Negative COVID-19 Test".

Posted by rayken roganca

[This post has been removed]

Posted by galen_rasputin

Any thoughts on maybe creating a virtual convention? Maybe partnering with one or more of the virtual table top hosting companies and running something online. I mean even if GenCon doesn't get cancelled in July it still good be a good way to expand.

Just a thought.

Posted by roganca rayken

[This post has been removed]

Posted by roderick

Calm down guys. Take a break, do some yoga, take a walk, binge-watch a show, but don't take anything online personally, nor get nasty. Mike is in a banning mood, and has already warned the thread a couple times; for him, we are in third-strike territory. 

Stuff you may think is "just asking or answering a question" is getting heated again, possibly without you noticing. 

Your friendly local sheriff,
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by roganca roderick

roderick wrote:
Calm down guys. Take a break, do some yoga, take a walk, binge-watch a show, but don't take anything online personally, nor get nasty. Mike is in a banning mood, and has already warned the thread a couple times; for him, we are in third-strike territory. 
Stuff you may think is "just asking or answering a question" is getting heated again, possibly without you noticing. 
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

If this is the movie Tombstone, are you kind of the Wyatt to Mike's Doc Holliday?

Posted by roderick

I like to think of myself more like James Garner in Support Your Local Sheriff. 

Posted by sgt engee

My state, California, is shut down.  No travel unless for common sense stuff which is basically food, medical, exercise, and to care for others who can't care for themselves. It's probably not long before other states follow suit and do the same. It would probably be a good idea to postpone the convention.

Posted by tinabear81

At least no one is Barney Fife.

Posted by traveller roderick

roderick wrote:
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Sorry, can't take a walk.  Shelter in place, a walk is non-essential travel.

And Roderick, before you call yourself a sheriff, you should watch this from John Oliver.  Just saying....

Stay safe, stay sane, and for the love of gencon wash your damn hands with soap and water.

Posted by squirecam galen_rasputin

galen_rasputin wrote:
Any thoughts on maybe creating a virtual convention? Maybe partnering with one or more of the virtual table top hosting companies and running something online. I mean even if GenCon doesn't get cancelled in July it still good be a good way to expand.
Just a thought.
I saw that there was a virtual option for Garycon. So its possible.

Posted by tinabear81 sgt engee

sgt engee wrote:
My state, California, is shut down.  No travel unless for common sense stuff which is basically food, medical, exercise, and to care for others who can't care for themselves. It's probably not long before other states follow suit and do the same. It would probably be a good idea to postpone the convention.
Postponing is one of those things that sounds great on paper, but is probably nothing short of a Lovecraftian eldrich horror to get done. Most vendors, gms, game companies, artists, publishers, etc have already blocked out a certain time for GenCon in their company schedule and plans. Some of them would be able to easily pivot, others wouldn't. That doesn't even take into account trying to get the ICC, Lucas Oil, and the surrounding hotel blocks all available simultaneously for both Con Prep, the Con itself, and Con Closure/Takedown. Trying to do all of that working around previously booked engagements and in the middle of football season is quite a feat. While I'm sure the city of Indianapolis would do their best to work with GenCon because of the sheer amount of revenue it brings into the city, that's no guarantee that an appropriate time could be found. Then if you postpone it "too late" there's the problem of 2 GenCons too close together in time which could cut revenue and gives the company very little turn around time between one and the other. Edited to add: All that said, given the collossal feat it is to pull of GenCon every year. I'm sure that if it can/should be done, the GenCon team will get it done. 

I'm planning on going until they tell me there's no GenCon. Now, as far as I know, I only get 1 more paycheck while things are shut down, and unemployment will only go so far. The end result is many people, like me, may fully intend to go to GenCon, but have to use their saved money to survive in the interim, thereby making a previously affordable trip unaffordable.

Posted by monkeyknifefight traveller

traveller wrote:
roderick wrote:
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Sorry, can't take a walk.  Shelter in place, a walk is non-essential travel.And Roderick, before you call yourself a sheriff, you should watch this from John Oliver.  Just saying....
Stay safe, stay sane, and for the love of gencon wash your damn hands with soap and water.

I actually can't find an article that details on the statewide shelter in place, but the one that was in San Francisco metro allowed outdoor exercise.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/16/shelter-in-place-california-coronavirus-bay-area-explained

Posted by squirecam tinabear81

tinabear81 wrote:
sgt engee wrote:
Postponing is one of those things that sounds great on paper, but is probably nothing short of a Lovecraftian eldrich horror to get done. Most vendors, gms, game companies, artists, publishers, etc have already blocked out a certain time for GenCon in their company schedule and plans. Some of them would be able to easily pivot, others wouldn't. That doesn't even take into account trying to get the ICC, Lucas Oil, and the surrounding hotel blocks all available simultaneously for both Con Prep, the Con itself, and Con Closure/Takedown. Trying to do all of that working around previously booked engagements and in the middle of football season is quite a feat. While I'm sure the city of Indianapolis would do their best to work with GenCon because of the sheer amount of revenue it brings into the city, that's no guarantee that an appropriate time could be found. Then if you postpone it "too late" there's the problem of 2 GenCons too close together in time which could cut revenue and gives the company very little turn around time between one and the other. Edited to add: All that said, given the collossal feat it is to pull of GenCon every year. I'm sure that if it can/should be done, the GenCon team will get it done. I'm planning on going until they tell me there's no GenCon. Now, as far as I know, I only get 1 more paycheck while things are shut down, and unemployment will only go so far. The end result is many people, like me, may fully intend to go to GenCon, but have to use their saved money to survive in the interim, thereby making a previously affordable trip unaffordable.
it cant be moved into the school year. Attendance would be poor and Gencon would lose money due to renting the entire icc and Lucas. 

It goes on in August. Or its cancelled. Theres no reasonable time to place it.

Posted by helenbb

I live in the SF Bay Area, so our family was part of the first lockdown. We are allowed to go outside for exercise and walking pets, but must stay 6 feet away from other people. I went out this morning to the grocery store. My entire town was dead, except for the grocery store parking lot. Normally there would be rush hour traffic, the Starbucks would have a line out the door, schools woudl be in session, etc. none of that now.

All of this being said, I am still planning to go through with all of my summer plans (including San Diego Comic Con and GenCon) as long as they are not cancelled. 

Posted by dwintheiser

I also saw the Facebook update that GaryCon is going virtual for GaryCon XII. This is mainly due to two things:

1. GaryCon's attendance is roughly 2000-2500 people, and
2. GaryCon's focus is on tabletop RPGs, where virtual tabletops exist and can be set up on relatively short notice.

Even so, Luke Gygax himself notes that even this much wouldn't be possible without the heroic efforts of the volunteer con staff and GMs (https://garycon.com/a-long-awaited-update-gary-con-xii-is-virtually-upon-us/?fbclid=IwAR1-scCW9y_Ofnp6j50sCO_QXh33pnoAyCBHzLbWc0Hjal7aIjEWsfayPjA).

Some parts of GenCon could certainly pivot to virtual tabletops or similar virtual meeting spaces if the convention is physically cancelled (which I stress is still pure speculation at this point), but a good deal of what makes GenCon GenCon probably couldn't be effectively migrated online. Even the things that can be moved online would likely need to start planning such a move in the next few months to have all the resources available by the end of July to actually run those games. And of course this wouldn't do anything for the hotels, restaurants, and other Indy spaces that look forward to physical GenCon traffic, whether its to boost their business or just contribute to the festival feeling that is GenCon.

Someone with more knowledge on the inside can correct my ramblings above if they're off the mark, but as far as I can tell, while it would be possible for some portion of GenCon to be moved online if the convention itself can't physically take place, the result wouldn't be what most people would think of as GenCon.

Posted by mhayward1978 traveller

traveller wrote:
roderick wrote:
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Sorry, can't take a walk.  Shelter in place, a walk is non-essential travel.And Roderick, before you call yourself a sheriff, you should watch this from John Oliver.  Just saying....

Where are you located?  The orders in California explicitly allow walking/hiking/exercise outside - even in groups - as long as you keep 6 feet away from one another.

I don't think anyone in the US is in a jurisdiction that prevents them from going on a walk outside due to coronavirus.

Posted by traveller

Gencon draws from the global community, why would you assume I live in the US.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
3 4 5 7 9 10 11
3 4 5 7 9 10 11