Official Gen Con specific only Coronavirus thread
( Locked)
47 48 49 51
47 48 49 51
Posted by lehane ladye

ladye wrote:
dullorb wrote:
In over three decades I have missed GenCon once.  The first year it moved to Indianapolis.  For about a decade my buddy and I have split a VIG package every year.  (Mostly for the hotel room, but we definitely enjoyed the other perks.)
This year, there is no question that given how callous and irresponsible it would be to willingly become a link in the chain of disease that is so very dangerous I will not be attending GenCon. 
The only thing I am left pondering is whether GenCon will drive me away forever by encouraging thousands of others to engage in an activity I view as deeply immoral.
If GenCon goes on, it's because the city, the ICC and the hotels won't let them out of their contracts. The city DESPERATELY needs the money generated by the convention. I'm speaking as an Indy local, here. I'm not particularly happy about it, but I'm not going to blame GenCon if they have to choose between having this year's convention, or going out of business, because of the city.
I am glad there are other people than me that understand this. 

Posted by xantherleon

As far as requiring people to wear masks or not, I think there is 2 things that need to be said...

1. Are masks able to prevent the spread of Covid 19?  The answer to this is no.  Most of the scientific research done says that unless you have an N95 mask that has a filtration system with it, they do not prevent the spread of Covid 19.

2.  This is not an event is not a necessity.  If you are afraid of catching Covid 19, you should not come regardless if they require you to wear a mask or not.  No state in the USA have passed through their legislation the requirement for people to wear masks.  It is not law, just a guideline.  

As far as it being immoral to incourage people to cone to an event, people have a choice to make and it is there responsibility to make it...dont go blaming others just because they are making a living.

Posted by dballing xantherleon

xantherleon wrote:
As far as requiring people to wear masks or not, I think there is 2 things that need to be said...
1. Are masks able to prevent the spread of Covid 19?  The answer to this is no.  Most of the scientific research done says that unless you have an N95 mask that has a filtration system with it, they do not prevent the spread of Covid 19.
2.  This is not an event is not a necessity.  If you are afraid of catching Covid 19, you should not come regardless if they require you to wear a mask or not.  No state in the USA have passed through their legislation the requirement for people to wear masks.  It is not law, just a guideline.  
As far as it being immoral to incourage people to cone to an event, people have a choice to make and it is there responsibility to make it...dont go blaming others just because they are making a living.

Re point 1: prevent means 100%. Does it prevent, in that context, transmission? No. Does it provide significant improvement in the reduction of transmission? Depending on the quality of your mask, that number will vary, but in most cases it's substantially better than "no mask at all."

Posted by xantherleon

Again, scientific studies have not proven that a clothed made mask prevents anything, or even that its an improvement.  Those studies are still being conducted.

Posted by dballing xantherleon

xantherleon wrote:
Again, scientific studies have not proven that a clothed made mask prevents anything, or even that its an improvement.  Those studies are still being conducted.

Actually a number of studies have already been done, although some are awaiting peer review.

Getting into a back and forth on this particular rabbit-hole is off-topic for this thread, but I couldn't let this particular inaccurate statement go unchallenged.

Posted by cloak72 xantherleon

xantherleon wrote:

There is actually a study that suggests that the homemade cloth masks are better at containing the virus in individuals who are positive.   In the interest of transparency, it was an incredibly small sample size, with some funky methodology.   However, if it's followed up and holds true, it suggests some interesting things. 

Posted by wildcat78

Trying desperately to bring it back to Gen Con specific before you summon Great Mikethuhlu

anyone think Gen Con or Off World Designs will have an officially licensed mask?  I want a d20 or a dragon mouth....

Posted by gskhaladon

NEWS from Vesuvieus Media (current kickstarter for Pacific Rails, and the Dwar7s saga of games) in my email this morning.

Convention Pledge Pick up CancelledYesterday, SPIEL, one of the largest board game conventions in the world, announced it will postpone its convention until October 2021 due to COVID-19. As per our previous update, UK Games Expo also cancelled this year. Although Gen Con has not yet officially cancelled, our flights from Halifax, Canada to Indianapolis, USA were cancelled by the airline due to COVID-19. Unfortunately, that means we can no longer offer convention pick up for your pledge. 

So that's one down for sure from the Dealer's Hall.   

Posted by mikeboozer wildcat78

wildcat78 wrote:
Trying desperately to bring it back to Gen Con specific before you summon Great Mikethuhlu
anyone think Gen Con or Off World Designs will have an officially licensed mask?  I want a d20 or a dragon mouth....

I'm drawing a circle and gathering the ingredients now, but unfortunately one is a protective mask...

Mike

Posted by yooperjer1 wildcat78

wildcat78 wrote:

Me too!  Me too!

I have been lurking here for weeks and not commented but this needed a response.  

Posted by gnollandvoid wildcat78

wildcat78 wrote:anyone think Gen Con or Off World Designs will have an officially licensed mask?  I want a d20 or a dragon mouth....

I'd be happy with the pixel Genevieve from the 8-bit shirt 

Posted by captain_nemo

I'd be happy with a mask that had "This Space for Rent" on it.

Posted by traveller mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
wildcat78 wrote:

I'm drawing a circle and gathering the ingredients now, but unfortunately one is a protective mask...Mike

Posted by mikeboozer traveller

traveller wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
wildcat78 wrote:

I'm drawing a circle and gathering the ingredients now, but unfortunately one is a protective mask...Mike

Very nice!

Posted by rong

To Our Gen Con Community:It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the cancellation of Gen Con 2020 this August in Indianapolis. The safety and health of our attendees, exhibitors, and staff are of the utmost importance to us, and we cannot in good conscience host a gathering of thousands while doing so could threaten the health of so many.

https://www.gencon.com/press/updates-gen-con-covid19

Posted by mikeboozer

Hello all,

Gen Con 2020 has been cancelled. You can see our announcement here: Click here to read the full announcement.

I will be locking this thread as it has served it's purpose, a big thanks to all of you who participated.

I will begin a new thread for questions about the cancellation that you might have.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC 

Posted by jillt

Thank you, Mike, for all your hard work, best wishes to everyone, and I already ordered 2 t-shirts so yes, I will be attending in my quarantine attire :)

Jill in Nashville, TN

Posted by akb mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Hello all,
Gen Con 2020 has been cancelled. You can see our announcement here: Click here to read the full announcement.
I will be locking this thread as it has served it's purpose, a big thanks to all of you who participated.
I will begin a new thread for questions about the cancellation that you might have.
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC 

Thanks Mike.

Rolling my VIG over.  Stay healthy.

Posted by dullorb ladye

ladye wroteIf GenCon goes on, it's because the city, the ICC and the hotels won't let them out of their contracts. The city DESPERATELY needs the money generated by the convention. I'm speaking as an Indy local, here. I'm not particularly happy about it, but I'm not going to blame GenCon if they have to choose between having this year's convention, or going out of business, because of the city.

I fully understand that.  It is horrible to be in a position where the only option you have to maintain a wonderful tradition, ensure the livelihood of employees who rely on you and support yourself requires you to endanger innocent lives.  There is a tremendous amount of pressure in our society to devalue human life when weighed against revenue streams and it drives good people to make bad choices every day.

I can not state strongly enough how happy I am that the ethical decision was chosen and I will do what little I can as an individual to support GenCon going forward.

Posted by ar6474

Thank for you patience with all of us. See you next year.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
47 48 49 51
47 48 49 51