Regarding the coronavirus survey, policies need to have no exceptions or they are useless.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by joeyskywalker

One thing that I really want to stress when it comes to an in person event, there needs to be absolutely positively NO EXCEPTIONS to policies related to being vaccinated and wearing a mask.

I don't care if your uncle told you that 5G microchip vaccines cause cancer, I don't care if you think demons will fly out your butthole if you wear a mask, I'm not interested in your degree in constitutional law from Facebook university. Either the policy is 100% applied without exception, or it is useless.

Unless the GenCon staff are willing to commit to this, including ejecting anyone who doesn't feel like cooperating, then they shouldn't have an event this year.

Personally, I am absolutely desperate to leave my apartment and play some games. So I really hope GenCon does this right so that can happen.

Posted by monkeyknifefight

If GenCon or any place running a convention needs those rules it’s already over and it might as well not happen.

Everyone that wants a vaccine will be able to get one between April and June. After that social distancing policies should rapidly go away. I expect it will vary in each state though.

Posted by cmegus monkeyknifefight

monkeyknifefight wrote:
If GenCon or any place running a convention needs those rules it’s already over and it might as well not happen.

I hate to admit it, but I agree 100% with this statement.

G

Posted by xanathon

I don't claim to be a COVID expert, but isn't the whole point of getting vaccinated to be able to reach a point where people don't have to wear masks?  By August enough people should be vaccinated so that real life, which includes not wearing masks, is feasible. 

Posted by gib_rebeg

including ejecting anyone who doesn't feel like cooperating,

Wow, dictatorial. So much for personal liberties. As well as personal choice, including what one can do or put in their own body.

Posted by jeff russell (mariston#6930)

I want to thank the GENCON staff for sending out the survey and giving me a chance to make my voice heard.

Posted by insane

The only way for Gencon staff to "commit" to a Covid free convention would be to not have the convention, anything less that that has some risk just as there is a risk of being struck by lightning at Gencon.

are they to enforce vaccine on hotel staff?  food truck staff? cops? custodial staff? people begging for change?

it is easy to throw out edicts and mandates but much harder to deal with all the minutia of hosting such a large event over multiply days.  Frankly its amazing that the Gencon staff does so with what appears to be seamless panache even when a global pandemic is not involved.   

while I for one certainly hope for a mask free, vaccine proof free,  gencon. I will simple wait and see How they intend to proceed then decide if i can have fun within that frame work or not and do what is right for me.

Though it might be funny to have storm troopers stationed throughout the con demanding to see your Vaccine papers......  

Posted by xanathon

From a common sense standpoint Gen Con should require people to show that they have been vaccinated.  This helps minimize the risk of hosting the convention.  There is enough con crud that is already present that it is just a simple way to minimize any further risk of people getting infected.

I realize that some people are going to argue against vaccines, for reasons I don't understand, but this isn't about the freedoms of any one single person.  This is about the greater good for everyone.  The only way for things to get back to normal is for people to get vaccinated so that this virus doesn't impact normal life any longer.

Posted by squirecam insane

insane wrote:
The only way for Gencon staff to "commit" to a Covid free convention would be to not have the convention, anything less that that has some risk just as there is a risk of being struck by lightning at Gencon.
are they to enforce vaccine on hotel staff?  food truck staff? cops? custodial staff? people begging for change?
it is easy to throw out edicts and mandates but much harder to deal with all the minutia of hosting such a large event over multiply days.  Frankly its amazing that the Gencon staff does so with what appears to be seamless panache even when a global pandemic is not involved.   
while I for one certainly hope for a mask free, vaccine proof free,  gencon. I will simple wait and see How they intend to proceed then decide if i can have fun within that frame work or not and do what is right for me.
Though it might be funny to have storm troopers stationed throughout the con demanding to see your Vaccine papers......  
Whatever the policy is, it must be enforceable. You cannot have the one badge/mask check at the door, but no way to enforce it if you are a GM who is faced with someone who wont comply. Who do you contact? There should be a clear direction.

Also, if there was a facemask policy, you cant allow a GM who wont enforce it either.

I'm not saying what the rules should be. But I am saying to enforce the rules you make.

Posted by prchamb xanathon

xanathon wrote:
I don't claim to be a COVID expert, but isn't the whole point of getting vaccinated to be able to reach a point where people don't have to wear masks?  By August enough people should be vaccinated so that real life, which includes not wearing masks, is feasible. 
A normal vaccine, yes. This mRNA vaccine, who knows. We could be stuck with masks and social distancing for all of 2021. 

The uncertainty isn't a big problem for attendees, as we can cancel our plans at any time, but it's a mess for planning Gen Con. Can they run the con this year? If so, how much does it needs to be scaled down? Is an exhibit hall possible? How much extra staff do they need to enforce COVID rules? How do they space out the games (they can't have long tables of closely packed CCG players)? What do they need to charge to make running the con financially viable? 

Posted by grognard262

The convention might want to consider providing "I've been vaccinated!" and/or "Tested Negative!" stickers for the badges to those who have been.  I think people would find it extremely comforting to look around the table and see that everyone they are playing with is protected and safe.

Posted by malfakter joeyskywalker

joeyskywalker wrote:
One thing that I really want to stress when it comes to an in person event, there needs to be absolutely positively NO EXCEPTIONS to policies related to being vaccinated and wearing a mask.
I don't care if your uncle told you that 5G microchip vaccines cause cancer, I don't care if you think demons will fly out your butthole if you wear a mask, I'm not interested in your degree in constitutional law from Facebook university. Either the policy is 100% applied without exception, or it is useless.
Unless the GenCon staff are willing to commit to this, including ejecting anyone who doesn't feel like cooperating, then they shouldn't have an event this year.
Personally, I am absolutely desperate to leave my apartment and play some games. So I really hope GenCon does this right so that can happen.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this.  What you've proposed is not logically enforceable.  You would have to post enough staff at every single entrance just to check "papers", as well as enough staff to handle anyone that becomes, understandably, disgruntled.  On top of that, you'd have to have enough staff "patrolling" all of the interior areas to make sure attendees don't take their masks off.  Some people can't wear their masks for long periods of time and likely would get upset at being asked/told to put their mask back on or their kicked out.  I'm sorry, but this is just not best practice, in my opinion.

However, if the Gen Con staff says that masks will be required, then I will comply with it.  I trust that the staff will take every bit of data out there into consideration and whatever the final decisions are that they come to, I'll happily adhere to.  If people don't want to adhere to them, then they are welcome to not participate in the physical con and enjoy the virtual con.  The same is true for all of those that are saying they won't go to Gen Con this year.  There are many of us that want to participate in a physical Gen Con and would purchase our badges and book our rooms today, if it were possible.  I know several that have already booked flights and rooms and are just waiting for badge registration to open.  If someone is concerned that the measures that the staff put in place are inadequate, then they are welcome to participate in the virtual con and have a great time.  Those of us that want the physical con shouldn't have to miss out on it because other people, who have already said they aren't going anyway, feel that the con shouldn't happen until 2022.  If you're worried about Covid, then stay safe and enjoy the virtual con.  However, if you feel that the safety measures that the Gen Con staff deem appropriate are adequate, then by all means, come to Indianapolis and have a great time with the rest of us.

Posted by squirecam prchamb

prchamb wrote:
xanathon wrote:
A normal vaccine, yes. This mRNA vaccine, who knows. We could be stuck with masks and social distancing for all of 2021. The uncertainty isn't a big problem for attendees, as we can cancel our plans at any time, but it's a mess for planning Gen Con. Can they run the con this year? If so, how much does it needs to be scaled down? Is an exhibit hall possible? How much extra staff do they need to enforce COVID rules? How do they space out the games (they can't have long tables of closely packed CCG players)? What do they need to charge to make running the con financially viable? 
I think the uncertainty is a problem for everyone. But Gencon is in a tough spot and their survey is at least trying to gauge how they can safely put on the convention. And the state or the ICC will have their own requirements.

Posted by kar8a

Just to add.  Kids under 18 are not allowed to be vaccinated, and they will not be in any group allowed vaccination before August 2021.  So, there will have to be vaccine exceptions - which then may still require indoor masks, or which may not, probably depending on viral spread at the time.

I just got on the waiting list for a vaccine, so I'll hopefully be good to go for the Con.  Getting my spouse on (since he's the last category) is a little more iffy, but we'll be at the Con even if normal adults can't quite make the list in time.  

Posted by helenbb

I appreciate that Gen Con is taking the time out to hear our voices and see where everyone stands. I am sure that they will give weight to all opinions, and do what is best for the greatest number of people. That is likely to be somewhere in the middle, rather than either extreme. (i.e. they cannot create a completely sterile bubble, yet they can provide some assurance for people who are at low risk from COVID and are willing to attend).

Posted by kevinrg

I'm sure the survey's will play a big part in what they do.   If 90% of respondents say "I'm not coming til 2022" then chances are they won't bother.   If 90% say they would come mask free, vaccine free, then I'm sure they would take that into account.  Either way, probably looking at a decent percent on either side that will be upset about any decision and Gencon needs to accept that.

My guess is most are in that middle which is probably masks if still needed, vaccines recommended, but not required and reduced crowds.

Ultimately there is only so much they can do.   The only way I wouldn't come to Gencon this year is if I thought the weekend was going to be one big long will call line.   Then I'd probably pass.

Posted by chaos62417

While I disagree wholeheartedly with the OP and what he thinks needs to be implemented I do agree that there should be no exceptions. This is why Gen Con should not even happen unless the policies in place are minimal.

IE the only policies that should really be in place are mandatory masks (and that is if the CDC still requires them) and sanitization stations available everywhere. That is it, these are the only two adjustments that should be made.

Temperature checks/screens? Vaccination proof upon entry? are you guys serious? do you have any idea how long it would take to get into the convention center?

Social distancing? this is impossible, we cant even social distance properly in a grocery store or restaurant. if social distancing is required then that means limited entry or capacity restrictions are in place, this is an absolute no go. No chance people are signing off paying for hotels stays, air fair and badges to only be allowed a few hours of convention time for the weekend.

Mandatory vaccinations? you as Americans should be against this. you have your free will get the vaccine if you so please. Many many other people have legitimate reasons to not get the vaccine. Do not let people cross yet another line of your civil liberty. if you are vaccinated you don't need to worry about the person not vaccinated. 

Vaccination stickers? These should absolutely not be allowed, reason being? this creates an opportunity for animosity or a powder keg situation. You cannot allow people to create a have and have not situation where people with a sticker get serviced a different way or worse yet are being shown negative aggression.

Each and every rule that you want to add or enforce will require more staff, staff that Gen Con doesn't necessarily have. Without proper staffing you then introduce opportunity for people to be "enforcement police" again this leads to a possible powder keg situation. We need to think about less is more in this situation. 

Lastly and the me the largest reason less should be more is we cannot control or dictate non Gen Con businesses. You can make all of the restrictions that you would like for Gen Con attendees but none of these rules would apply to anywhere else. Hotels, no, food trucks, no, every other restaurant, no, the mall, no. So unless the changes are minimal, again I would say only masks and sanitizer, Gen Con should consider delaying everything else makes the situation pretty dire.

Posted by austicke kar8a

kar8a wrote:Kids under 18 are not allowed to be vaccinated, and they will not be in any group allowed vaccination before August 2021.

No, Pfizer’s vaccine has been authorized for ages 16 and up.

Posted by jimdigris

This post went too far. We have deleted it. Your one and only warning.

Mike

Posted by joeyskywalker jimdigris

[This post has been removed]

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5