Gencon "NOT" Listed On The ICC Website:
Posted by rla200277

I doubt the date would be changed the weekend was pick specifically not to cross over with    the Brickyard 400 or Football season.

Posted by loncray traveller

traveller wrote:
Not to pour rain on those who are suggesting late Oct-Nov dates, but there are a number of factors you are missing.

• Volunteers:  The bulk of the staff roles are filled by volunteers.  With many of those in the college age range you will have issues with not enough people.
  • NFL:  Its not just the ICC that needs to be free, but also Lucas Oil.  Until the NFL puts out a schedule you won't see any real dates.
  • Weather:  Midwest weather in the fall is chilly.  Average Oct-Nov high/low   65/43 - 51/34.  Rainfall in Aug and Oct is about the same, but in Nov it gets wetter.  While these temps might not be a big deal to those from the north and midwest, those from the west and south will find this puffy jacket weather.
  • Setup time:  Its not just the 4 days of the con.  The con is open to the public for 5 days (Wed badge day) in addition there are setups that need to be done so you are looking at a time of Monday-Sunday)

I think Traveller has it right.  The NFL expects to put their schedule out in Mid-May this year.  My guess is there won't be an in-person con at all this year.  

Posted by supremacy

If a majority of people aren't vaccinated by August then why would anyone assume that they would be in September - November? 
I obviously don't know what feedback was received but by all estimation, if you can't do it in August you probably can't do it in person at all. Hotels and airfare will become too hard to get the longer a decision takes to get made. I'd rather book for the original dates and cancel then sit in a holding pattern. 

Posted by al_kesselring al_kesselring

al_kesselring wrote:
If you take a moment to look at the Indianapolis Convention Website:
https://www.icclos.com/upcoming-events/
you will notice that Gencon is "not" listed.

Strictly as a guesstimation on my part, and based upon the Gencon initiated survey inquiring if we would still attend if the dates were moved, "pleased to present, for your consideration" (yes, in my head I said that in Rod Serling's voice), Gencon will unquestionably be moved to a later date this year in the hope that it can still happen as safely as possible.

As I see it, the dates that Gencon could select from would be based on the following criteria:
1.) The later the date, the more vaccinations are pumped into arms, and the more people would possibly attend.
2.) Gencon would be held no later than October 21 - 24 because people want to be back home before Halloween, November is too close to the holidays and people want to save their money for Christmas.
3.) Gencon needs to schedule their convention when the Indianapolis Convention Center has 4 available dates over a weekend. 
This leaves "my guesstimation" of the following available dates listed in order of possibility below that meet those criteria that Gencon would most likely (strictly my guesstimation - can't stress that enough) move Gencon  convention off to:
(1) October 21st - 24th
(2) October 14th - 17th
(3) September 16th - 19th

Submitted for your approval, in the Gencon Zone (queue the Twilight Zone sound track)............................

I nailed the dates that they selected..............................I hope to see you there......................

Posted by technoir al_kesselring

al_kesselring wrote:
If you take a moment to look at the Indianapolis Convention Website:
https://www.icclos.com/upcoming-events/
you will notice that Gencon is "not" listed.

Strictly as a guesstimation on my part, and based upon the Gencon initiated survey inquiring if we would still attend if the dates were moved, "pleased to present, for your consideration" (yes, in my head I said that in Rod Serling's voice), Gencon will unquestionably be moved to a later date this year in the hope that it can still happen as safely as possible.

As I see it, the dates that Gencon could select from would be based on the following criteria:
1.) The later the date, the more vaccinations are pumped into arms, and the more people would possibly attend.
2.) Gencon would be held no later than October 21 - 24 because people want to be back home before Halloween, November is too close to the holidays and people want to save their money for Christmas.
3.) Gencon needs to schedule their convention when the Indianapolis Convention Center has 4 available dates over a weekend. 
This leaves "my guesstimation" of the following available dates listed in order of possibility below that meet those criteria that Gencon would most likely (strictly my guesstimation - can't stress that enough) move Gencon  convention off to:
(1) October 21st - 24th
(2) October 14th - 17th
(3) September 16th - 19th

Submitted for your approval, in the Gencon Zone (queue the Twilight Zone sound track)............................

One of your original guesses nailed it. 

Posted by knuteski

Yes, Al has bested me.  My weekends were completely off.

I surrender good sir.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.