Capped attendance with rolled over badges
1 3
1 3
Posted by xanathon

How is the attendance cap going to work with all of us that rolled our badges over from 2020?  Is there going to be a lottery system similar to the hotel block to determine who will be able to attend within the attendance cap?

Posted by ematuskey

It's a good question.  If the cap is smaller than the number of rolled over badges, I predict a lottery similar to housing system.  If the cap is larger than the number of rollovers, of course, there's no issue--we get first crack, and then once we've bought (or not), GC determines how many more they can sell to everyone else. 

Posted by squirecam ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
It's a good question.  If the cap is smaller than the number of rolled over badges, I predict a lottery similar to housing system.  If the cap is larger than the number of rollovers, of course, there's no issue--we get first crack, and then once we've bought (or not), GC determines how many more they can sell to everyone else. 
its not just me but the others in my gaming group that could be a problem. If I get a badge but the people I game with dont, theres no game.

The attendance cap really matters. 

Posted by gib_rebeg

On the plus side, getting a DT hotel this year should be much easier.

Posted by matthias9

I'm sure details are coming.  Glad dates are out so I can start planning.  

Reading between the lines, the fact that badge registration date is coming suggests to me that they will be selling badges and therefore rollover badges are probably good.

As for hosting, I hope previous poster is right that housing will be easier with lower capacity but i don't know what else is going on in Indy that weekend. Nor do I know how block capacity compares to prior years.  Doesn't seem much available there right now.  

Posted by colbrook

I think moving to school term time for many/more places, and potentially Yom Kippur, will cause a lot of people to roll over again or ask for a refund. This will naturally free up space for people that can attend.

We might also see additional tranches of tickets being made available as capacity limits and guidelines in Indy change. 

Posted by gib_rebeg colbrook

colbrook wrote:
I think moving to school term time for many/more places, and potentially Yom Kippur, will cause a lot of people to roll over again or ask for a refund. This will naturally free up space for people that can attend.
We might also see additional tranches of tickets being made available as capacity limits and guidelines in Indy change. 
Think you're right about school being an issue for people attending. Many who go, this is their last vacation before the start of the school year.

Far as refunding, if you rolled it over once, best roll it again if you can't make it. The 5% hit as well as the fact you get an assurance your badge in 2022 will not cost more make it worth while. After all this, we could see major badge hikes if not this year likely next year. Least by rolling it over, you're guaranteed a cheaper badge.

Posted by tinabear81

The school schedule is most likely going to keep me home unfortunately. I’m a primary grades teacher (k-2) and GenCon is now set for the 2nd or 3rd week of school (next year’s calendar isn’t out yet). Being out 4 consecutive days that early in the year will make my job harder for 2+ weeks after I get back and it makes it harder for the kids as well. Beyond that, it’s not a great look with my boss or the families of my kids to take a vacation that close to the end of summer break. 
I’ve really got to think about it, but I’m most likely rolling my badge over and wishing GenCon could be in October or November. That will free up some space for others to go.

Posted by technoir

They've already confirmed, people who have rolled over badges are in. People who donated badges will have the first chance to purchase badges. After that they will sell a limited number. 
We have NO IDEA what the number could be. They could be limiting it to 50-60k?
The date already will limit it. 

Posted by donaldbain technoir

technoir wrote We have NO IDEA what the number could be. They could be limiting it to 50-60k?

2019 was 70k or so.  To me, limiting would be 30-40K.  Purely a guess of course.

Posted by grognard262

I'm betting that even without a cap, attendance would be way down this year.  People are still shell-shocked from Covid, and September is going to be a problem for those with kids in school.  Many will not commit until the virus numbers come down.

Posted by mikeptas

Excited at the opportunity to go.  Feel bad for those that can't but I will get over it.  The real issue is with the decreased attendance I am sure the vendor hall (in whatever form it takes) will not be as crowded... Just means I will need to find an even bigger backpack to be a nuisance...  (Kidding!  I'm much too lazy to wander around the convention carrying a ton of gaming loot!) 

Posted by lore seeker donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
technoir wrote We have NO IDEA what the number could be. They could be limiting it to 50-60k?
2019 was 70k or so.  To me, limiting would be 30-40K.  Purely a guess of course.

Does anybody know what the ICC's capacity was pre-pandemic? That might be a good starting point at guessing the capacity limits we might be looking at.

Posted by matthias9 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

Does anybody know what the ICC's capacity was pre-pandemic? That might be a good starting point at guessing the capacity limits we might be looking at.

Gen Con 'sold out' for Gen Con 50 in 2017 at "60k+", presumably as a function of ICC capacity.  However, 2019 attendance is listed at ~70k.  I believe they may have sold out Saturday or at least said they were close.  So, it seems to be in the range of 60-70,000, which is what attendance has been the last couple years. 

But, you asked about the ICC -- and I think the convention capacity is more complicated than that due to Lucas Oil, surrounding hotels, etc.  It isn't just about the ICC itself, if that's a distinction you want to draw.

Posted by lore seeker matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

Gen Con 'sold out' for Gen Con 50 in 2017 at "60k+", presumably as a function of ICC capacity.  However, 2019 attendance is listed at ~70k.  I believe they may have sold out Saturday or at least said they were close.  So, it seems to be in the range of 60-70,000, which is what attendance has been the last couple years. 
But, you asked about the ICC -- and I think the convention capacity is more complicated than that due to Lucas Oil, surrounding hotels, etc.  It isn't just about the ICC itself, if that's a distinction you want to draw.

That makes sense, about the stadium and surrounding hotels.

Here's hoping they can accommodate everyone who wants to be there in person.

Posted by sovietprince

dang wish i got badges when i could, hope this is not a day one sale out at the first 30 min type of thing, i need my gencon fix

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios

If it helps any, I cancelled my 4-day badge for this year. Sept. dates are no good for me, as I work for a school bus company. The first month of school is crazy with route changes.

Posted by technoir lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

They do not reveal that, they reveal how many sq feet there is in each area, but I can't find anything definitive

Posted by mikeboozer

We will limit badge sales based on maintaining social distance and safety requirements as required by public-health regulations while also taking into account individuals who rolled over their badges from last year.

Priority for attendance will be given first to attendees who donated or rolled over their 2020 badge, and then available to all. If we believe that we can safely hold the convention for additional attendees, we may offer additional waves of badge availability.

Mike

Posted by jillt

Forgive me if I’m getting ahead of myself but when will badge registration open up for attending the online convention?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3