Exhibit Hall?
Posted by brumcg felwred

felwred wrote:
Most of us plan the times we go to the exhibit hall. Why not just have it be a zero cost ticketed 1 hr event? Yes, some people will go longer, others will miss the slot they picked up a ticket for. Limit ticket purchases to some set number of tickets (like 3) per person. 
That would seem to create a way to avoid lines and control the number of people in the vendor hall at one time.
Fred

That's not a bad idea.

I was thinking color coded badges.  Blue badges get to go in Thursday 10-12, Friday 12-2, Saturday 2-4, and whatever on Sunday.

Posted by lore seeker brumcg

brumcg wrote:
felwred wrote:
Most of us plan the times we go to the exhibit hall. Why not just have it be a zero cost ticketed 1 hr event? Yes, some people will go longer, others will miss the slot they picked up a ticket for. Limit ticket purchases to some set number of tickets (like 3) per person. 
That would seem to create a way to avoid lines and control the number of people in the vendor hall at one time.
Fred

That's not a bad idea.I was thinking color coded badges.  Blue badges get to go in Thursday 10-12, Friday 12-2, Saturday 2-4, and whatever on Sunday.

I don't care for that idea. Being able to go into the Exhibit Hall and browse/shop whenever you want to is part of the convention fun. Besides, if you play a game at an event and decide "I want to buy this core rulebook" but your Exhibit Hall time has already passed for the day, then you're out of luck - not a good thing for the attendee or the company selling the product.

I would prefer the ticketed approach, similar to the one that's been used for the arcade and console rooms in the past. That way, people can grab tickets whenever they need or want to.

Posted by sirrogue

They could also just manage it the way most stores have done during the pandemic; monitor entrants, cap at capacity, then let people in as others exit. I think I would like this in combination with a ticketed system. So you would have a guaranteed reservation time when you would get to go in for a bit, but still be able to wait in line to come in later if you wanted.

Posted by ungmar9567 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
brumcg wrote:
felwred wrote:
Fred

That's not a bad idea.I was thinking color coded badges.  Blue badges get to go in Thursday 10-12, Friday 12-2, Saturday 2-4, and whatever on Sunday.

I don't care for that idea. Being able to go into the Exhibit Hall and browse/shop whenever you want to is part of the convention fun. Besides, if you play a game at an event and decide "I want to buy this core rulebook" but your Exhibit Hall time has already passed for the day, then you're out of luck - not a good thing for the attendee or the company selling the product.I would prefer the ticketed approach, similar to the one that's been used for the arcade and console rooms in the past. That way, people can grab tickets whenever they need or want to.
I would agree with that approach. Because, like you said, I can't say I will be out of the Exhibit Hall in just one hour, or two. I like to browse.

Posted by technoir

I think by September, there will be no limitations on exhibit hall but we'll see

Posted by garhkal

Well, no limitations on people.  YOU still have the limitation on HOW MUCH you can buy, based on "DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH DOSH!

Posted by buffythecatslayer sirrogue

sirrogue wrote:
They could also just manage it the way most stores have done during the pandemic; monitor entrants, cap at capacity, then let people in as others exit. I think I would like this in combination with a ticketed system. So you would have a guaranteed reservation time when you would get to go in for a bit, but still be able to wait in line to come in later if you wanted.

The "1 comes out, 1 goes in" system probably won't work for the Exhibit Hall.  I know a number of people, including the group I go with, that spend the entire 10-6 time in the Hall, only exiting for lunch, or if they had an event that couldn't be scheduled for later.  There is quite a bit of turnover in the hall, but the people that luckily happen to get in at 10 shouldn't be able to hog their places all day, assuming they plan to have a limit on the number of people in the hall at one time.

Posted by selene314 felwred

felwred wrote:
Fred
It appears that this is exactly what they're doing.
https://gencon.blog/2021/05/18/may-health-and-safety-update/

Posted by quarex

True, but only up to a point; I was initially horrified to read that, but it does say their plan is to only treat it as a ticketed event for the first few hours of each day, so you can presumably(?) still go without an event ticket later in the day.  Or maybe they are saying the event tickets are like three time slots: "10-11, 11-12, 12-6."  Though that sounds strange on its face so maybe not.

Posted by lore seeker quarex

quarex wrote:
True, but only up to a point; I was initially horrified to read that, but it does say their plan is to only treat it as a ticketed event for the first few hours of each day, so you can presumably(?) still go without an event ticket later in the day.

The relevant bits in the update read:

"Timed entry to the exhibit hall during the busiest times"

And:

"With regards to exhibit hall timed entry, we expect to regulate entrance up until noon of each day and then to open the halls fully until closing for the day. Entries will be made available via our event ticketing system..."

There's two possible ways of interpreting that, that I can see:

1. There will be tickets all day, but the number of people inside will also be limited until noon; after that, any number of ticketed people can be in there
2. Tickets will only be required until noon (since the mornings are typically the "mad rush" times), after which it's pretty much open season

I can't say for sure which of those is the correct interpretation, but they said more details will be available eventually.

Posted by quarex

Good point, it could be "tickets + first-come first-serve until 12" or something, in the first scenario.

Posted by garhkal

From how I read it, its more "Tickets up till noon, then open to all after"

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Why not just have it be a zero cost ticketed 1 hr event?

How would they possibly enforce this?  Once they're in the hall, who's going to find them in that massive expanse and kick them out?

Posted by ryric

I suppose it would be possible to make it a ticketed 45 minute event, clear everybody out at 10:45, then let the next wave in. I hope that's not how they go, but it might be somewhat doable. 

Posted by xanathon

As to the quality of the exhibitor hall we don't know.  Paizo and CMON have stated that they will not have a physical presence this year and I would guess that if the CO-Sponsors of Gen Con are not going to be there many other companies will decide to skip this year as well.

Posted by buffythecatslayer ryric

ryric wrote:I suppose it would be possible to make it a ticketed 45 minute event, clear everybody out at 10:45, then let the next wave in. I hope that's not how they go, but it might be somewhat doable. 

Are you forgetting how BIG the hall is?  You really think you can clear everyone out in 15 minutes?  Not without chairs & bullwhips you won't. :-)

Posted by quarex

Chair & Bullwhipcon 2K21!

Posted by garhkal ryric

ryric wrote:
I suppose it would be possible to make it a ticketed 45 minute event, clear everybody out at 10:45, then let the next wave in. I hope that's not how they go, but it might be somewhat doable. 
I just can't imagine them doing that.. 

Posted by adcjones sirrogue

sirrogue wrote:
Any idea when/if we will get a sense of who and how many of the usual vendors and game hosts will still be in attendance? I'm keen to go, because, GenCon, but we'd be silly to assume everything will be just like any other GenCon. I'd hate to pass the deadline for refunds/rollovers, intending to go, only to find out all of my usual favorites aren't hosting games this year.

I would strongly caution everyone to not register for badges until you see the full vendor list for the dealer hall, what companies are running living games, what events there actually are, etc.  I urge this in the face of Paizo pulling out after the deadline to roll over badges has occurred.  

Posted by helenbb quarex

quarex wrote:
Chair & Bullwhipcon 2K21!

I think we need that on one of the collectible pins...

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.