Is the in-person con in danger?
Posted by lore seeker

With so many major companies bailing out of the in-person convention, I can't help but wonder: is it in danger of not launching this year?

Posted by marimaccadmin

No.

Marian McBrine
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by papabees

Nah, maybe being in danger of being better than ever.

Posted by lore seeker marimaccadmin

marimaccadmin wrote:
No.
Marian McBrine
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Thanks.

To be clear, I wasn't worried about the loss of events, I was worried about the loss of Exhibit Hall presence (and possibly con funding, though I don't know how that works) that these companies represented, and whether that might damage the con's chances.

Posted by sovietprince

I like to know the reasion these company's are pulling out

Posted by traveller sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:

I'd offer the following possible reasons

• Bulk of staffing is from volunteers.  I would guess they normally have more than they need but this year could net ensure they could even meet their minimum.
  • They are not based in America.  International travel is still a sticking point and while things are looking good now, as they say in the investment world, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Posted by gib_rebeg traveller

traveller wrote:
sovietprince wrote:

I'd offer the following possible reasons

• Bulk of staffing is from volunteers.  I would guess they normally have more than they need but this year could net ensure they could even meet their minimum.
  • They are not based in America.  International travel is still a sticking point and while things are looking good now, as they say in the investment world, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Some of the vendors have said it's the attendance caps and restrictions.

It's pricey as all hell to have a booth at GC, if they don't get a price break, I don't blame them for backing out, they may not recoup the cost.

Posted by garhkal

I can understand that.  Vendors are there to make a buck..

Posted by chibi1990

[This post has been removed]

Posted by xanathon

Online conventions will cease to be a thing once the pandemic is fully over.  They were just an alternative when physical conventions were not an option.

Why go to an online convention anyway when you can go to a physical convention?

Posted by garhkal

Well, like a # of businesses, did MORE 'remote' working, and schools did online learning, some may Demand they keep things that way, for 'easiness'??

Posted by quarex

I mean, management knows better than I do, but it seems like there is definitely a market for people who cannot attend in-person to attend virtually, even if there is a fee involved.  I imagine this would be particularly popular for international would-be attendees.

Posted by abasyn xanathon

xanathon wrote:
Online conventions will cease to be a thing once the pandemic is fully over.  They were just an alternative when physical conventions were not an option.
I mean there are a myriad of reasons to go to an online con over a physical one, a few being something simple like money or distance, another simply being time four days is a lot of time and in my experience thats if you fly in and out on Thursday and Sunday.  My group drives out from Mass and its a 12-14 hour drive we leave Tuesday Night and get back Monday afternoon some folks cant swing that amount of time away from work for various reasons.  That all said I do strongly prefer being in person over online its just a nice option for those among us whom can't make it for their own reasons 

Posted by llenlleawg

Well, the past year has certainly taught us that it is possible to hold a fun and successful convention online. Plus, I suspect there were many people who were able to give it a try precisely because it was online. I also think that, all things being equal, people prefer physical presence overall. That said, I suspect that the good folks running Gen Con will be keeping an eye this year on how well they can juggle the three different aspect of the con: (1) in Indy, (2) Online, and (3) Pop-Up. We may well discover that, at least for a large con like Gen Con, having this "blended" approach is advantageous, keeping a focus on the main arena in Indy, while providing alternative means of taking part, for people like me who is one of the "would-be international attendees" that @quarex mentioned above!

Posted by qwaserity quarex

quarex wrote:
I mean, management knows better than I do, 

Quarex, this made me chuckle. My team is comprised of a manager, a programmer, a tech and an admin (me). The only reason why I had to come to the office was to make sure others got their regular coffee deliveries and the occasion deep dive into the ancient paperwork. The other three could remote for the rest of their careers. Our queen of HR is making everyone come back to the office.

Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? quarex

quarex wrote:
I imagine this would be particularly popular for international would-be attendees.

( raising a hand )

As one of those International attendees, yes.
It's definitely not the same, and time-zone differences make things a bit of a challenge, but it gives at least a part of that Gen Con feeling.

( I'm trying to use it as an opportunity to do the Gen Con stuff I never do in person; Seminars & Panels & so on, because an 8-hour time shift means there's a solid chance of falling asleep in RPG sessions )

Posted by xanathon abasyn

abasyn wrote:
xanathon wrote:
I mean there are a myriad of reasons to go to an online con over a physical one, a few being something simple like money or distance, another simply being time four days is a lot of time and in my experience thats if you fly in and out on Thursday and Sunday.  My group drives out from Mass and its a 12-14 hour drive we leave Tuesday Night and get back Monday afternoon some folks cant swing that amount of time away from work for various reasons.  That all said I do strongly prefer being in person over online its just a nice option for those among us whom can't make it for their own reasons 

Sure there are reasons that people may prefer an online convention.  However just a few years ago people would come to Gen Con without buying a badge just to hang out in the convention center while the convention was going on.  I believe they called themselves Gen Con ghosts.  So if they could be at the convention without actually being an attendee the cost argument seems irrelevant.  I get the travel distance, but again if there is a will there is a way.

I will just say that online conventions have absolutely no appeal for me.  I would rather just go to my local game store for a small gaming event than to attend an online convention.  A big part of attending a convention is meeting people that I would not meet under normal circumstances.

Posted by kevinrg

After the last year+, I've had my fill of virtual events.    Even before 2020, I needed something live or I would have zero interest (conventions, concerts, whatever)

Posted by aaronmlopez

Like others, I just don't enjoy online gaming as much as in-person. I think I read that 70% of communication is non-verbal, so you definitely miss out on more than half of your gaming experience if you only game online. 

Posted by adcjones

To be honest, I do have a fear that some large retailers would rather have an online Con over an in-person con, like Paizo, for instance.  

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.