Is the in-person con in danger?
Posted by cinnibar adcjones

adcjones wrote:
To be honest, I do have a fear that some large retailers would rather have an online Con over an in-person con, like Paizo, for instance.  

Not too worried.  Sure they think that.  But the truth is that a one-shop online convention is just too same-y to attract the bulk of the visitors.   It's the dream that people will shop exclusively at your site, for only your products, rather than use like Amazon, etc.

Posted by aaronmlopez

People can watch baseball on TV and yet many still go to games. In person attendance is simply a different experience altogether. Until technology advances to a point where there is no difference between Online and In-person experiences such as conventions, sporting events, amusement parks, etc. The In-Person cons will continue. 

Posted by helenbb

Additionally, the most dedicated fans attend in-person events. Exhibitors at Gen Con know that they will be able to reach a concentrated group of serious gamers, people who could easily become regular/long-term customers. They also know that they will be reaching a lot of bloggers/podcasters who  can spread buzz about their products in the right places.

Posted by fethbone

I'm sure companies would much rather sell via an online event versus in-person...if the exposure and sales were the same as they got in-person. Hosting an online event is much cheaper than packing up and traveling to GenCon for 5-6 days, but it's just not the same. 

While I'm sure some vendors may attend not expecting a huge [monetary] profit, if it wasn't a good investment to spend the time and money to show up at a typical in-person con, we would have switched to online-only events long ago. Apparently Paizo and others did not feel the 50-60% attendance cap and lessened convention space was worth the trouble this year. 

All that to say I am confident the show will go on.

Posted by helenbb

I barely knew that there was an exhibit hall last year. It was so easy to ignore, and had none of the spectacle that you normally expect on a show floor. Online cons don't seem to sell a lot of merchandise.

Posted by lore seeker

Holy frak, was I scared when I saw this thread got necro'd (until I read the new posts).

Posted by kevinrg helenbb

helenbb wrote:
Online cons don't seem to sell a lot of merchandise.

Online cons remove the immediate gratification aspect of buying.   At the con, it's in my hand... I can take it now and enjoy it so, you might pay a little more for it because of that.   Online cons, unless an exclusive, its more like.. eh.. if I have to wait anyways, I'll just get the cheapest deal where-ever that is online.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.