Refund Info
( Locked)
Posted by hahnarama aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
=inheritand a Vanilla Dr. Pepper.

I do like me some Vanilla Dr Pepper, especially with a splash of Kraken  

Posted by papabees

I'm not sure I think Gencon intentionally made the announcement late, but for a company that professionally runs cons, their communication has been really bad this year. Buried headlines, a surveys that lead one into answers that they seem to be looking for and nothing substantial at all about open gaming even though they claim it's going to be "awesome" this year.

I'm starting to worry about their continued survival.

Posted by eldrad12000

I mean, they are leaving proof of vaccination open. Sooo, I mean in two weeks' time they could announce they have decided to have that as well, then if you got a ticket and no shot you are really out of luck. But they did warn people that, that is something that could happen.

Posted by timjs21

For those interested I just received word from GenCon customer service that no refunds will be issued since the deadline has passed. 

I must say how disappointed I am upon hearing this.  GenCon waited to change the mask policy until just days after the refund deadline.  I find that more than a little coincidental since the COVID numbers had been rising for weeks before that.  They now offer no flexibility to those no longer wishing to attend.  That shows me their true colors.  I had attended GenCon in Indy for the past ten years straight.  This will be my last and one I will not enjoy.

Posted by ascantla

With this being the worst topic.  I agree that these changes, no matter the previous statements that they may be changed, should allow for refund. I'm vaxxed and I'll be there with a mask no problem. For some people, whatever their reasoning, it's a deal breaker.  Give them their money back and let them see if they want to come next year.  If for no other reason than they will be super grumpy sitting at my table with their chin strap on.. you know what I mean.

Posted by insane

"You must be wearing a mask while attending Gen Con Indy unless you are actively eating or drinking"

Hmmmm think I need to get one of them beer hats(put water bottles in the holders instead of beer) with a drinking tube and just sip water all day instead of wearing a mask.

Posted by hahnarama

Note to self avoid guy wearing beer hat

Posted by lore seeker

Someone on Discord jokingly brought up a possible loophole to carry around a bag of Cheetos at all times, and Kelsey actually said they would be looking out for people trying to use such loopholes.

Posted by alkorahil

All of this can change again (and probably will) by the time GenCon arrives.

Posted by qwaserity

I'm going. My friend wants a refund as he has problems wearing a mask for 8 hours a day. And no, you can't ask about his medical condition.
1. Can he get a refund? I think I know how that question is going to be answered.
2. Can he get credit and transfer it to me and I'll pay him for it? I feel guilty for talking him into going to GenCon (there's a statement I never thought I'd type).

Let's talk about the business concept of goodwill. We do things to help out each other and to help the continuation of a business. Last year, I ran 32 hours of events for GC online, sacrificing my time and vacation days to help keep GenCon running (numbers available upon request). We do things like this to help the community.

GenCon is more than a business, it's a community. Not giving refunds to those who ask for them based on the mask mandate will hurt that community. And yes, RULES, RULES, RULES! But remember that GenCon made the rules and can change the rules if it benefits the community at large.

It sucks to give the customer their money back but it is worse if you permanently lose that customer (and their friends and family) even more.

Posted by timjs21 qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
I'm going. My friend wants a refund as he has problems wearing a mask for 8 hours a day. And no, you can't ask about his medical condition.
1. Can he get a refund? I think I know how that question is going to be answered.
2. Can he get credit and transfer it to me and I'll pay him for it? I feel guilty for talking him into going to GenCon (there's a statement I never thought I'd type).
Let's talk about the business concept of goodwill. We do things to help out each other and to help the continuation of a business. Last year, I ran 32 hours of events for GC online, sacrificing my time and vacation days to help keep GenCon running (numbers available upon request). We do things like this to help the community.
GenCon is more than a business, it's a community. Not giving refunds to those who ask for them based on the mask mandate will hurt that community. And yes, RULES, RULES, RULES! But remember that GenCon made the rules and can change the rules if it benefits the community at large.
It sucks to give the customer their money back but it is worse if you permanently lose that customer (and their friends and family) even more.
Well said my friend.  I couldn't agree more!

Posted by nate_lockhart qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
Ggoodwill and retaining customers is great unless you run out of money and go bankrupt before you reap the benefits of all that goodwill. I think they should allow refunds if they can, but they just may not be able to do it and have any chance of staying afloat.  Given the huge vendor and attendee presence missing this year, and the total lack of a con last year, I don't think GenCon has the greatest financial outlook. 

Posted by grognard262 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Someone on Discord jokingly brought up a possible loophole to carry around a bag of Cheetos at all times, and Kelsey actually said they would be looking out for people trying to use such loopholes.

Cheetos are no joke, sir.

Posted by qwaserity

Question: What happens if someone catches Covid the week before the con? Do they lose the value of their badge due to unforeseen circumstances? Act of god?

Posted by tdb

If GenCon places a higher value on customer goodwill than the cost of a badge, then they'll issue a refund.

If they don't, then they won't. 

And they've said they won't, at least in the case of the change in mask policy.

Posted by stivmc qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
Question: What happens if someone catches Covid the week before the con? Do they lose the value of their badge due to unforeseen circumstances? Act of god?

Different scenario in my opinion, this would suck but outside of anyone's control.  But yea, that person would lose out unfortunately due to Act of God if you will.  This is actually covered in the ToS, where as the potential change of health and safety conditions is only listed in a FAQ from March.

The policy back and forth is a decision that is fully within someones control (and timing thereof), even if based on THE* Science.   

Posted by donaldbain qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
What happens if they get sick with something else, breaks a leg, or other unforeseen circumstance prevents them from going?

Posted by kellishaver

Gencon should never have lifted the mask mandate in the first place. It would have prevented a lot of conflict, frustration, and general nonsense. 

Posted by squirecam kellishaver

kellishaver wrote:
Gencon should never have lifted the mask mandate in the first place. It would have prevented a lot of conflict, frustration, and general nonsense. 
Unlikely. You simply would have had people creating forum posts arguing that Gencon said they would follow the CDC guidelines, so why weren't they doing so.

Gencon never lifted anything. Gencon was always going to follow the current guidelines. Those changed. Then changed again. Which is exactly what Gencon said would happen.

Posted by fethbone

father bloodlust wrote:

At least the finally sent an email plainly stating in the subject line what's going down.

Four days after they changed the policy. I'm sure many people just deleted the first email- I know I would have if I hadn't seen the to-do here first.

Just discussing on another thread the presence of overzealous badge-checkers in the hotels in previous years. Looking forward to hearing the stories of people being told they are "trying to use a loophole" for not eating or drinking fast enough.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4