What are you shopping for this year?
Posted by mjhan300

Well we are about a month out and I still have to put together my shopping list! So what is everyone looking to pick up this year?

Anyone know of some "must have" boardgames that are releasing at the Con or at least being sold?

Looking for some jewels to bring back to our gaming group.

Posted by qwaserity

Looking for older stuff and minis, both fantasy and WWI biplanes.

Posted by grognard262

Still looking for that reasonably priced, mint-condition, first edition autographed copy of Chainmail.

Posted by aaronmlopez

I don't have a set thing I am looking for this year. I figure I can wander the vendor hall and see if anything catches my eye.

(Though it might be a good idea for me to keep a list of what I already own, so I don't purchase an expansion or something that I already have. Because every gamer knows, that NEVER happens! Lol!)

Posted by lore seeker

I have a running shopping list I take to all gaming cons. It's mostly old White Wolf titles, but I add new books to it as I learn of new things.

The big things I'm looking for this year are Kult: Divinity Lost and Deadlands. I might also get the Power Rangers RPG, if I like it (I'm playing a game of it during the con) and if it's available for purchase.

Posted by thesuperskrull

I'm usually only after the new hotness if it relates to a game I already have or it's something I have been waiting to be released. I might check out the new hotness though, whatever it may be. 

For other things I make a list. I'm usually focused on a few D&D/Pathfinder minis and have a pretty good idea of what I do and don't have so I don't need the list for them. But I do need it for BattleTech minis at Iron Wind Metals. So far this year it is looking to be a BattleTech heavy year with Iron Wind and Catalyst both coming to the show and Catalyst hopefully having some new stuff from their BattleTech Kickstarter. 

Posted by eldrad12000

I have no clue, I do always stop by Iron Wind Metals, cause I like grabbing a random metal miniture. But I have a lot more board games this year, so if I really like any of them I will most likely grab them.

Posted by brumcg mjhan300

mjhan300 wrote:Anyone know of some "must have" boardgames that are releasing at the Con or at least being sold?

If you haven't checked it out, the BGG Preview is the go-to place for new releases:  https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview/49/gen-con-2021-preview

I do a similar thing for RPG releases here:  https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/285850/rpg-products-releasing-gen-con-2021-publisher

My list includes some Unmatched sets I don't already own, TRAILS, maybe Cascadia, maybe Greece Lightning, and hoping to support some of the new Exhibitors.

Posted by mjhan300

I usually look for the latest games or games with different types of play mechanics. So far I'm interested in the following. Not quite sure if they will be present, but most of the publishers are going to be there except for maybe the last one.

Maglev Metro - Bezier Games
Merchants of the Dark Road - Elf Creek
Lizard Wizard - Forbidden Games
Brew - Pandasaurus Games
Witchstone - Huchi or R&R Games or DV Giochi (maybe?)

I tend to lean towards coop games more than not.

Posted by fethbone

Probably in the minority here, but I am not much of a Collector of Things so the only thing I ever have a firm intention of buying every year is an indie game from Innovator's Alley to support new developers. I do look out for Christmas/birthday gifts as well.

Hopefully the demo-ers have polished their projection and people skills this year, as at some booths in years past I could barely hear a decent explanation/demo of the game pre-masking and distancing. 

Posted by rfsullivan

Am going to be keeping an eye out for the new Stargate RPG, and if they have them the dice set the company has listed on pre-order on their website. Aside from that, dice and minis always make neat souvenirs.

Posted by gojiratoho

I have a list of things I'm looking for for a friend, but for me I generally just wander and playtest games and pick up the ones I like. Also whatever they have new over at SlugFest games.

Posted by mjhan300

As a followup, I was able to pre order a few off my list to just pickup at their booths. I did this a few years ago when some of the vendors offered this as an option. So nice because I could try to snag that must have game knowing I have others in the bag.

For those interested, "Merchants of the Dark Road" by Elf Creek Games will be sold at their booth, but NOT the deluxe version. I was able to pre order "Dinosaur World" and "Brew" from Pandasaurus Games to be picked up at the Con.

I realize that some games might already be available on Amazon or such, but at this time of the year I try to support those vendors that make the effort to come to the show, so I buy their product at the show. I know its more expensive, but I feel I am better supporting them, even if but a little bit, rather than Amazon getting their slice.

I am on the lookout always though for supporting the smaller, independent designers & publishers. My wife and I love going thru the artists section and picking up things. Picked up some cool steam punk gear (eventually will be a costume) and signed prints for the walls of the gaming room.

Any other shoppers doing this?

Posted by kellishaver

Games I want:

• Merchants of the Dark Road
  • Rocketmen
  • Sleeping Gods

There are a few other games I'm interested in, but these are the main ones.

Other stuff I'm interested in:

• Metal coins
  • Dice
  • Would love to find some sci-fi/futuristic maps/tile sets/minis

Posted by lore seeker kellishaver

kellishaver wrote:

Starfinder has some of those, if you haven't looked at that yet.

Posted by aaronmlopez rfsullivan

rfsullivan wrote:
Am going to be keeping an eye out for the new Stargate RPG, and if they have them the dice set the company has listed on pre-order on their website. Aside from that, dice and minis always make neat souvenirs.

The Stargate RPG will be available at Gen Con this year (according to the Wyvern Gaming website). Booth 2723! (I had a chance to play it this year and had a good time. It's a 5e clone, so if you are familiar with that, you will have no problem learning Stargate)

Posted by mjhan300 kellishaver

kellishaver wrote:
Games I want:

• Rocketmen
  • Sleeping Gods

There are a few other games I'm interested in, but these are the main ones.Other stuff I'm interested in:

• Metal coins
  • Dice

I LOVE generic metal coins to swap out in some of my games. Good call, I'll have to look also!

Posted by mjhan300 mjhan300

mjhan300 wrote:
kellishaver wrote:
Games I want:

• Rocketmen
  • Sleeping Gods

There are a few other games I'm interested in, but these are the main ones.Other stuff I'm interested in:

• Metal coins
  • Dice

I LOVE generic metal coins to swap out in some of my games. Good call, I'll have to look also!

Sleeping Gods looks right up my alley too! Thanks for mentioning it. I like it when other gamers tell what they are shopping for because there are to many new games out there to know about them all!

Posted by dukejohn kellishaver

kellishaver wrote:

Maps of Mastery has a lot of great sci-fi poster maps. https://maps-of-mastery-store.myshopify.com/ 

Posted by brumcg

I've added the Rocketeer board game from Funko to my list.  It's one of my favorite IPs, but I never expected a board game!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.