Water Drinking at RPG Tables
Posted by msteinbo

Are players allowed to take short drinks from water bottles, given four hour games was curious on that policy.

Posted by grognard262

Last I knew the policy is that you need to wear a mask except while actively eating and drinking.  However, continuously nibbling on a sack of pork rinds and sipping a 128-oz Team Gulp of Mountain Dew for four hours as way to avoid masking up would probably be frowned upon.

Posted by msteinbo

Lol - makes sense to me I have to assume someone thinks they will make this work :) (meaning someone thinks it’s a good plan when it is not)

Posted by eldrad12000

Yeah if you need a drink, take a drink. Just don't sip the water continuously for hours on end, and don't take a drink then leave the mask down for 10 minutes.

Posted by helenbb

I think that this is a case of everyone being reasonable. It's reasonable to want to eat/drink at a gaming table, particularly if it is a long game. But that shouldn't be for the entire game, and eating/drinking should clearly not be prolonged to have a mask off. This is how it works on airplanes, so I can't see things being too different at Gen Con.

Posted by tdb

If you use a straw-type bottle (or just a straw) you can drink without fully removing the mask.  Much more convenient, and you can't forget to put the mask back on. 

Posted by whisper721

I vote everyone at the table the freaks out over me drinking my 2 gallons of water a day.... just hold their breath til I'm done...lol   I mean if the masks work so well,,,and I have been vaccinated... yall should be fine lol.

Posted by whisper721

That was a joke..btw... but I really do drink 2 gallons a day so I WILL have a mask down a lot... and i don't care if it freaks someone out.

Posted by cinnibar

Ok, this isn't a joke. You might well be invited to leave the table permanently with that attitude.  This has been reiterated time after time after time, but hey, find out.

Get a long straw and you're more likely to enjoy your convention this year.

Posted by clique84 whisper721

whisper721 wrote:
That was a joke..btw... but I really do drink 2 gallons a day so I WILL have a mask down a lot... and i don't care if it freaks someone out.
You seem fun to be around.

Posted by squirecam clique84

clique84 wrote:
whisper721 wrote:
You seem fun to be around.
There is no eating allowed at our gaming area. Not for the above reason (to avoid spills on expensive games) but it solves the problem.

I'd make a rule that if you want to eat or drink, you must step away from the table. By the third or fourth time the person has to get up and walk away I'd imagine the above shenanigans would stop.

Posted by brooks

And perhaps we can all show some charity and understanding in what is going to be an extremely odd convention. I'm going to go with don't be a jerk by attempting to game the mask rules and also don't be a jerk by assuming someone is trying to game the mask rules. A polite reminder should be all that's necessary. 

In well over a decade of attending Gen Con I've never seen a player so disruptive they were asked to leave a table. This year should be no different whether it's masks or anything else. If it comes to that just contact the local Gen Con captain and let them deal with it.  

Posted by cptmusket

I think we all need to be kind, and give people the benefit of the doubt.

People will need a drink of water or coffee or pop or whatever over the course of a game.  Some people may have medical issues, or other things going on where they need something to eat for a bit.  Some people will be talking a lot and need a sip of something.  Chances are high they are vaccinated (going on the self-reported vaccine rate metric), and if you are vaccinated with your mask on while they are taking a quick drink, or eating something quickly, there is not much risk to you (close to no risk).  On social media pages Gen Con has stated that taking the drink is OK.

I think as long as someone isn't overtly trying to abuse it, then let them have a drink and enjoy the game.  Don't worry and be kind.  I know I will have some water by my side, and I will need a drink, and will take one and put my mask back on.

Remember, we are all human, we are all going to Gen Con to have a good time and get an escape from life, especially after the last year and a half.  I would bet that very few people will be trying to skirt the rules on purpose, so don't worry about it.  

Posted by samlamiam

I agree with the previous post.  We just need people to be reasonable.

If you are going to fight the mask rule, just stay home.  If you are going to freak out about someone slipping off their mask during a 3-hour game to eat a few bites and stay hydrated, also stay home.

Posted by vulcanspock cptmusket

cptmusket wrote:

Agreed.

But,  I'm not sure you should expect to see that. People seem to want to find the fight.

Just look to the previous comments where posters were all trying to one-up each other over who is tougher on people not wearing masks.  (eg. First offense should be banned from Gen Con for life!)

Posted by whisper721 cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
Ok, this isn't a joke. You might well be invited to leave the table permanently with that attitude.  This has been reiterated time after time after time, but hey, find out.
cinnibar wrote:
OK... look .. you are wayyyy to serious... It was a joke... no need to be so one-sided (trying to be PC on that).   I have health conditions that require me to drink that much water... I am Fully Vaccinated and have no issues wearing a mask...  Please let someone officially segregate me for my condition.  I would beg it.  If I am drinking that much water naturally my mask will be down more..I will not drink from a straw.. and thats my choice.. Under ADA please ask me to leave... especially when I am masking when not drinking.. and Fully vaccinated.

Posted by phandaal vulcanspock

mollymolly wrote:
cptmusket wrote:

Agreed.But,  I'm not sure you should expect to see that. People seem to want to find the fight.
Just look to the previous comments where posters were all trying to one-up each other over who is tougher on people not wearing masks.  (eg. First offense should be banned from Gen Con for life!)

Yeah. Do not envy Gen Con's volunteers this year. Seems like they're going to have a referee a lot of people who can't approach this stuff like adults.

Posted by stahlnee

https://gencon.blog/2021/08/27/health-wellness-at-gen-con/

Answer is you are not allowed.

Posted by grognard262 stahlnee

LOL, good luck enforcing that.  Expecting tens of thousands of people to sit at tables talking for 4 hours without so much as a sip of water isn't going to happen.  More so when you consider that many people have back-to-back events and don't have time to relocate to a "designated area" to take a drink of water.

Posted by kevinrg

I really hope that the most vocal anti and pro mask people sit this one out.    Someone drops their mask to take a swig of water or a bite, it isn't even going to register with me.   My eating/drinking gets out of whack, I get massive migraines and I'm done for 24 hours and I'm sure I'm not alone.   

Was at an event with a bunch of gamers where masks were required 2 weeks ago and no one cared about dropping the mask to eat/drink.   Have to imagine the vast majority of people are reasonable people and wouldn't care.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.