How To Purchase Badges For Age 12-16 Family
Posted by gwindalyn

I would like to bring my nephews to GenCon for their first ever experience.  :)  I can't figure out how to get a badge for them.  They do not have email addresses of their own.  How can I purchase their badges under my account in this case?

Thank you.

Posted by braewe

What I did for a friend who was coming is just simply create an email for him, and handle everything that way. He was in the military and out of the country. When he got back I just had him login and change the password. 

So you could make gmail accounts for the little guys, create gen con accounts, friend them, they friend you(you doing this all yourself) buy badges, and when they hit 18 or whenever, hand them over the passwords. With parental permission of course.

<edit> Also a-make sure that if YOU are doing the purchasing and you are will call, that they will have some sort of id and can pick things up and if you are b-going mailtome that you can get them their stuff, since mailtome all goes to the purchaser.

Posted by braewe

Although, this brings up another thing I sugested awhile ago. We reallly could use a way to buy 'gift' stuff from gen con. Gift badges, gift 'gen con credit' etc. So you call and tell them, hey, here is your code for 1 badge and $50 bucks system credit, go wild'.

Posted by mikeboozer

For your kids, go to the “Get a Badge” page, select the badge type you want to purchase, and click the “someone else” link at the bottom of your list of friends. Since they don’t have email addresses, click “Don’t Know”. Enter one child’s first and last name and click “Find”. This creates an account for them that you can buy badges and tickets on.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by gwindalyn

Thank you, Mike!

Posted by elfman01

Mike, this is really frustrating.  I have to create an email address for my child, have my child friend me, etc. so I can buy a badge for an under 16 participant?

Overly complicated for my 4 children & spouse. 

Posted by austicke elfman01

elfman01 wrote:Mike, this is really frustrating.  I have to create an email address for my child, have my child friend me, etc. so I can buy a badge for an under 16 participant?

Huh? Did you even read what he wrote? He specifically said they don't need email addresses.

Posted by elfman01

You can't buy a ticket for someone who does not have an email, since they have to have an email to register.  I cannot simply 'add minor child' to my profile (option does not exist.)

So, I have to create emails, so they can add profile, then have them accept me as a friend so i can buy badges.

The "don't know" simply rejects the option to add a ticket.

Posted by austicke elfman01

elfman01 wrote:You can't buy a ticket for someone who does not have an email, since they have to have an email to register.  I cannot simply 'add minor child' to my profile (option does not exist.)
So, I have to create emails, so they can add profile, then have them accept me as a friend so i can buy badges.
The "don't know" simply rejects the option to add a ticket.

It works for me as Mike described. Click on Someone Else, click on the Don't Know button and then enter their name. Works like a charm!

Not sure why it doesn't work for you though. *shrug*

Posted by elfman01

don't know either.  I get lovely red letters saying "xxx not found"  and no addition.

Out of curiosity, what browser are you using?

Posted by austicke

Chrome. I can post a screenshot if it helps.

Posted by elfman01

let me open Chrome and try.

Nope.  Same error

"This user must approve a friend request before you can purchase a badge for them. Please send them a friend request."

Will create a throw away email and wait for registration that way for each child.

Posted by austicke

Here's screenshots of how it works for me. Sorry it's not working the same way for you.

Posted by smikey00

I received this exact error no matter how many times I tried to finagle it. I literally to create a new account and friend it just to add a $0 child badge to checkout. This website is a terrible experience.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.