Cancel an event onsite; how credit works
Posted by lourocco

Hi! First time attendee here.

i understand I cannot cancel events online anymore; only onsite. This can only happen at Will Call?

when I cancel I get $ on file for credit; minus 5%.

do you have to cancel prior to an event starting or can it happen later? Like even the next day? Will Gen Con know your ticket was not scanned thus it's potential "credit" for later?

and... can those tickets be used for generics without going to Will Call? So if I paid $6 for an event; could I use it for a few $2 events? Or do I have to cancel, turn to credit and buy generics?

Thanks. Basically I signed up for a ton of events all four days and I think it might be too much.

Lou

Posted by parody

To get system credit you have to return tickets before their start time, barring GM cancellations and similar extraordinary circumstances.

You can use them for generics, but if you overpay for an event you won't get change.

Posted by austicke lourocco

lourocco wrote:This can only happen at Will Call?

No, Customer Service.
when I cancel I get $ on file for credit; minus 5%.

Generic tickets may only be refunded for system credit. Other tickets may be refunded to your original payment method (credit card or cash). All carry a 5% fee.
do you have to cancel prior to an event starting or can it happen later? Like even the next day?

Only up until a half hour before the event starts. You have until 4:30pm on Sunday for generics.
Will Gen Con know your ticket was not scanned thus it's potential "credit" for later?

Tickets aren't scanned; they're collected. But it doesn't matter due to the timing above.
can those tickets be used for generics without going to Will Call? So if I paid $6 for an event; could I use it for a few $2 events?

Yes. No.

Any ticket can be used as generics, but you don't get change. A $6 event ticket can be used for one $2 event. Or you can use it for a $6 event (or partial payment of a more expensive event).

Or do I have to cancel, turn to credit and buy generics?

If you know you're not going to attend an event, it's much nicer to return the ticket. It costs you 5%, but it allows another player to buy your slot and it's less likely the game will run unfilled, which GMs appreciate.
Thanks. Basically I signed up for a ton of events all four days and I think it might be too much.

You're welcome. My recommendation for first time attendees is to go very light on scheduled events. There is so much to do and see even without outside of scheduled events. I spend 12+ hours in the exhibit hall alone.

Then again, everyone's personal preferences are different. Have fun!

Posted by dwintheiser

Also, my understanding is that system credit doesn't 'expire' -- it stays in the system until you use it.

For example, if you return $30 worth of tickets during GenCon 2017, you'll get $28.50 in system credit ($30 minus the 5% return fee). You can then use that credit toward the purchase of your GenCon2018 badge when they go on sale in January.

Please correct this if it's wrong, but I recall having done this in previous years.

Posted by mikeboozer dwintheiser

dwintheiser wrote:
Also, my understanding is that system credit doesn't 'expire' -- it stays in the system until you use it.
For example, if you return $30 worth of tickets during GenCon 2017, you'll get $28.50 in system credit ($30 minus the 5% return fee). You can then use that credit toward the purchase of your GenCon2018 badge when they go on sale in January.
Please correct this if it's wrong, but I recall having done this in previous years.

This is true. System Credit is non-refundable or transferable and does not expire. 

Posted by roderick mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
dwintheiser wrote:

This is true. System Credit is non-refundable or transferable and does not expire. 

Yeah, I think I have 14-year old credit in the system (who has time to play games?)

Posted by lourocco

This is extremely helpful. Thank you roderick, mikeboozer, dwintheiser, austicke, parody.

Knowing where the Customer Service window is great! Any idea how long lines might be Thursday AM?

I have a 4-day badge; and for whatever reason I lined up events from like 9AM-4PM all four days. I'll cancel some for sure so others can grab the spot.

Lou

Posted by austicke lourocco

lourocco wrote:Any idea how long lines might be Thursday AM?

Customer Service will be busy, but the Will Call line will be way longer.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.