Refunded Event Tickets Not Refunded Properly
Posted by robbierobb

Not sure if anyone here is able to help/provide any information. I just sent an email to the customerservice email account and it essentially bounced back saying it was closed and to visit customer service at the con until Sunday at 4pm. It's now Monday at 6pm so I'm not sure if it will ever get delivered or just sent to the virtual waste basket.

We had to refund two $40 event tickets and took care of it first thing on Wednesday after picking up our packets at Will Call. These were charged to our credit card and, when asked how we wanted them refunded, we told the CS person that we wanted them refunded to our credit card. I happened to click on my profile here today and see that I now have a $76 system credit instead of it being refunded to our card as I had a) confirmed with the CS person asked for and b) according to Gen Con's Terms of Service, should have happened automatically anyway as that was the way the event was paid for originally.

Is there any hope of actually getting this refunded to my credit card or is it going to be stuck as a system credit until I'm able to come again in some future year? (Or forever if something happens and I'm unable to return)

Posted by glory

You cannot return tickets for anything other than Gen Con credit. 

Posted by divachelle glory

glory wrote:
I don't believe that's correct. 

I returned several tickets, which were credited back to my husband's credit card. The person assisting me said that the tix go back to whichever method of payment was originally used. 

Posted by robbierobb

The only tickets that cannot be refunded for anything other than system credit are generic tickets. Specific event tickets, as stated above, should have been refunded back to the method of payment (less 5%) according to Gen Con's terms of service. 

Posted by aquabunny glory

glory wrote:
That's patently false. I returned two event tickets and the amounts (less the refund charge) were indeed credited back to my credit card - I can see the credit on my card statement as we speak. OP's refund absolutely could have, and in this case definitely should have, been put on their credit card and not the system. Generics refund only to system credit, but the OP specifically refers to $40 event tickets, and event tickets can be refunded to the form of original payment. 

Posted by hawkeye

My girlfriend returned a $12 event ticket. $10 went to system credit, and $1.40 went back to my credit card.

Posted by ladyimm

The tickets I returned all went back on my credit card (and in fact, the six generic tickets I bought but never used went back on my brother's credit card, since he paid for them).

Posted by robbierobb

So here's an update:

Mike B from Gen Con replied to my email and apologized for the mistake. It *should* have been refunded to my credit card. However, since it wasn't, and was refunded as a system credit, Gen Con is saying that they can't do anything more about it. My knowledge of customer service and the banking system disagrees with that; it's just that they are choosing not to do anything more about it.

We're going to have to take a look at our options with regards to our credit card company and decide what to do. In all likelihood, we are absolutely planning on attending Gen Con again so having a system credit isn't *necessarily* a bad thing - except that Gen Con is effectively earning interest on that system credit/revenue and we no longer are. However, if something happens and I am no longer able to attend then that money is gone forever from my accounts.

Not gonna lie, it's left a sour taste in my mouth. I get that mistakes happen, I'm cool with that. It's the unwillingness to correct the mistake that has me irritated.

Posted by tylerwilliams21

So I have been attempting to get ahold of gen con through their phone numbers for 2 days now to no avail.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a better means to contact them?  I need to reach out to them about refunding my passes this year as some financial issues are going to prevent me from attending. 

Posted by traveller

Bottom right is the contact us button, will have all the different ways to get a hold of them.

Posted by mikeboozer

Nation wide outage for phones.

From our Terms of Service page:

• All refund requests must be made by the purchaser via mail or email (see Contact Info below).
  • Refund requests must include the first and last name of the attendee, GEN CON Account number and email address associated with the account. Badge types and Game IDs, along with a description of the items to be refunded is greatly appreciated (i.e. a 4-Day badge and eight generic tickets, or three Saturday badges and three True Dungeon tickets, Game ID#________).

[email protected]

Posted by timjs21

I returned some tickets (they were not generics) on 5/28.  I now noticed that I was issued system credit instead of the amount going back on my credit card.  I'm not sure why that happened this year?  I've returned event tickets in past years and it's always gone back on my credit card.  It's only $20 so I'm not overly upset as long as that system credit can be spent next year for GenCon 2019.  Is that the case?  If not, how do I get the money credited back to my credit card?  Thanks.

Posted by austicke

Timjs21, I think your memory is failing; nothing has changed this year. Returns processed online result in a system credit. If you'd like a refund to your credit card, you'll need to email customer service or visit the customer service booth during Gen Con in August. There is a 5% fee for refunds.

Credits never expire, so you can use them next year.

Posted by timjs21

Austicke - Sorry for the poor memory my friend.  I'm happy with the credits being good next year.  Thank you!

Posted by roundtop

See below.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Warning: remember all refunds for credit must be done by sat night of gencon. On Sunday you can't trade your generics back in.

Not sure where you got that information.  Generics can be only be refunded for system credit, but it can happen until 4pm Sunday.  From the Policies page:
REMINDER: Any unused generic tickets may only be refunded via system credit and must be turned in to the Customer Service kiosk onsite before 4:00 pm on Sunday, August 5, 2018. More information on our Ticket Refund Policies can be found on the Refund & Exchange Policies page. Event tickets are only good for the year in which they were purchased.

Posted by roundtop buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
Warning: remember all refunds for credit must be done by sat night of gencon. On Sunday you can't trade your generics back in.

Not sure where you got that information.  Generics can be only be refunded for system credit, but it can happen until 4pm Sunday.  From the Policies page:

REMINDER: Any unused generic tickets may only be refunded via system credit and must be turned in to the Customer Service kiosk onsite before 4:00 pm on Sunday, August 5, 2018. More information on our Ticket Refund Policies can be found on the Refund & Exchange Policies page. Event tickets are only good for the year in which they were purchased.

Thanks. was on my mobile and didn't look it up. I always try to do it by sat night to avoid trying to get to the kiosk before 4pm.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.