Childcare?
Posted by [email protected]

Why was the childcare program discontinued? We had an even we wanted to go to and needed childcare for a few hours.  Sitters to the rescue has always been available, I walk by it all the time. The first year I would need it...I call sitters to check the pricing. They tell me Gen con didn't contract with them.  IT would be $23 an hour, four hours min plus parking. SO over $100.00! That is insane! Please let me know if their are any options for us parents!!??!!

Posted by brotherbock

Well, based on what you just found, my guess is the cost. Gencon was likely getting taken to the shed by these people. Was it a free service to attendees before, or did people still have to pay? If Gencon was eating the whole cost, they likely just didn't want to fork over that much money again. 

No, you still had to pay when gen con had a room it just wasn't that expensive. You didn't have to pay for their parking either....

Posted by brotherbock

How much use did it get? 

The one room I  saw in the Westin... always had kids when I walked by. 

Posted by ubermx [email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
Why was the childcare program discontinued? We had an even we wanted to go to and needed childcare for a few hours.  Sitters to the rescue has always been available, I walk by it all the time. The first year I would need it...I call sitters to check the pricing. They tell me Gen con didn't contract with them.  IT would be $23 an hour, four hours min plus parking. SO over $100.00! That is insane! Please let me know if their are any options for us parents!!??!!
Not sure if there are any options.  Did you get that quote from Sitters to the rescue or another agency?
thanks

Posted by brotherbock

Have you asked your hotel if they offer child care? Some do. 

Care.com?

Craigslist...ahhhh, maybe not. 

I got a quote from Sitters to the rescue. I would agree craigslist....not

Posted by sbruce

Anyone have any follow up to this? Suggestions I don't have a hotel room and would like an option to put my kids into child care for a couple of hours but not all day. Sitters to the Rescue has a 4 hour minimum and requires a hotel room.

Posted by daringdragoon

I had a friend use www.care.com before. You have to make a profile but it is an option. 

Posted by greenand

I don't know if it's the case or not but my guess is that Sitters to the Rescue would not come back this year because of how they were treated last year.
We used the sitter service they offered at GenCon for several years and it was great, but last year when we took our son to them to watch for a few hours...
Well, they put the sitting service in a small hotel conference room with NO air conditioning. I don't know if it was broken or what but they had a ton ton of infants and small children in that room and it was probably eighty degrees or more. NOT healthy for anyone. Despite numerous complaints neither GenCon nor the hotel did anything to rectify the situation.
Sad but true.
Frankly, I wouldn't blame them a bit if GenCon asked them to offer sitting there but they said no.
I don't expect that there will be sitting services again GenCon any time soon. :(

Posted by garhkal

That makes sense.  The bad AC in a room is not an issue itself, especially if the REST of the hotel is cooled.  BUT pack it with adults and kids running around, the heat will rise fast.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.