Time needed to process purchases for will call?
Posted by nscott

Since on-line ticket purchasing is open throughout the convention, is there a minimum time before the event that you need to make a purchase by? I recall a few upset people last year who were told the tickets they had bought wouldn’t be available until after the event was started/over.

Posted by austicke

You can go to Event Registration and buy a ticket within minutes (depending on the line). If you instead buy online, it can take a half hour or longer for it to appear at Will Call. But why not just go directly to Event Registration instead?

If the event uses electronic tickets, then you can buy online and have no need to go to either booth.

Posted by nscott austicke

austicke wrote:
You can go to Event Registration and buy a ticket within minutes (depending on the line). If you instead buy online, it can take a half hour or longer for it to appear at Will Call. But why not just go directly to Event Registration instead?
If the event uses electronic tickets, then you can buy online and have no need to go to either booth.

I'm guessing they saw a ticket to some particularly high demand event pop up on line and grabbed it rather than risk losing it to someone else? I was just passing by and only heard some of the discussion. It will certainly become less of an issue as e-ticketing increases.

Posted by noone nscott

nscott wrote:
Since electronic ticket purchasing is open throughout the convention, is there a minimum time before the event that you need to make a purchase by? I recall a few upset people last year who were told the tickets they had bought wouldn’t be available until after the event was started/over.
according to the eticket for gms video.  The ticket is sold and they can join the event as soon as they check their email and confirm they bought the ticket so it should be almost instantaneous 

Posted by mikeboozer nscott

nscott wrote:
Since electronic ticket purchasing is open throughout the convention, is there a minimum time before the event that you need to make a purchase by? I recall a few upset people last year who were told the tickets they had bought wouldn’t be available until after the event was started/over.

If it is a paper ticket you are best served by buying it at an Event Registration kiosk. You can buy it and simply go to the event immediately if you have enough time before the event. They are live and in the  system as soon as they are purchased and put into your hands.

If you buy paper tickets online there is a 2 hour wait period before they are available in Will Call.  I do not recommend doing this unless you have the time to wait for them.

Electronic tickets are immediately available when you purchase them.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by cmegus

Mike, assuming I need to return paper tickets that are the exact same price as new event tickets — can I return paper tickets, get system credit and buy new paper tickets at the Event Kiosk at the same time without having to buy new tickets or get back in line?

And where exactly is the Event Registration Kiosk?

G

Posted by aaronr cmegus

cmegus wrote:
Mike, assuming I need to return paper tickets that are the exact same price as new event tickets — can I return paper tickets, get system credit and buy new paper tickets at the Event Kiosk at the same time without having to buy new tickets or get back in line?
And where exactly is the Event Registration Kiosk?
G

Event Registration Kiosks are located by most Event HQ sites throughout the con and near the Customer Service and Will Call Kiosks at the main entrance. I do not believe you can do returns at them but I am not 100% certain.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Unfortunately, you have to return the tickets at Customer Service, then buy new tickets at Event Registration. If the events are the same price, and the replacement event isn't in danger of filling up, you can always just keep the tickets for the first event & use them as generics for the replacement event.

Posted by mikeboozer

Customer Service kiosk (Right next to Event Reg kiosk) is the only place to return paper tickets as people have pointed out.

You can then go buy your tickets for the new event, or as has been said if the price is the same you can just use them to go to that event if it is not sold out.

Mike

Posted by cmegus

Ok so if I return paper tickets for system credit, which should have no charge this year, can I then go to the Event Reg Kiosk and use that credit to get new tickets?

Posted by austicke cmegus

cmegus wrote:Ok so if I return paper tickets for system credit, which should have no charge this year, can I then go to the Event Reg Kiosk and use that credit to get new tickets? 

Yes, but ticket returns carry a 5% fee.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Expanding on my earlier post, even if the new event is a different price than the original, you can still use the original event ticket as a generic ticket for the new event, up to the value of the ticket.  If the new one costs more than the old, you make up the difference with regular generics.  If the new event is cheaper, you can use old ticket, but you won’t get “change”.  You could, however, bring another person to the new event with you, and the old ticket could cover the cost for you both.

Posted by austicke buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:you can still use the original event ticket as a generic ticket for the new event, up to the value of the ticket.

True, but it's more considerate if you return it in advance so a new player can buy it. Perhaps the event host can fill the spot with someone showing up with generics, but it's nicer to everyone if it's available for purchase in advance.

Alec, I agree, but sometimes circumstances prevent it, or it's just too inconvenient.  As I put in my suggestion that they allow returns at any HQ, there are times the CS line was over 30 minutes, and I'm not waiting that long to return a ticket.  I do try to contact the GM though, to let them know.

Posted by austicke

True enough.

Things will only improve as more events are converted to electronic tickets and everything can be handled online with just a few clicks.

Things will only improve as more events are converted to electronic tickets and everything can be handled online with just a few clicks.

Amen.

Posted by mikeboozer buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:

Amen.

Amen indeed.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.