A Room of Holding?
Posted by mcaramb

Man, my crew and I just lost at the Hotel hunger games, and unless something miraculous pops up, looks like we'll be offsite again this year. I would have absolutely have no problem staying offsite except for the fact that we're consignment store junkies and buy oodles of games which we then return to our room, drop off, then go back in for more. Sometimes several times a day. So if Gencon would provide a "Room of Holding" or such where you could pay to securely store your stuff for the day, that WOULD BE AMAZING. I'd easily pay a reasonable fee for such a service. It would reduce the number of people trying to reserve downtown rooms for just this reason (there's a lot of us), and cut down on the people carrying huge game backpack whacking people in the head being toted through the halls. Anyone else think this would be a great idea?

Posted by quarex

I mean it sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure how big such a room would have to be to serve a potential 70,000 attendees.  I mean they ripped out the storage lockers decades ago for security reasons, I imagine if anyone had the ability to create an alternative it would have happened by now. 

I am very sympathetic to your problems though since I fondly remember my own days running back to the room with my Auction/Store stuff in the middle of the day before I started volunteering and then could just leave my stuff until the end of the day...and...hey, wanna volunteer?  ☺️

Posted by piggystarfish

Will you have a car, or are you flying in and then Ubering to the con each day? There are plenty of garages/lots around. 

I'm lucky enough that I only live 2 hours away, so we drive in, and then park next to the convention center, so any purchases can be quickly ran outside. This is even quicker/closer than our "connected" hotel we had one year, SpringHill Suites

Wonder if people trust others enough to rent out the bed of a truck lol...(it has a tonneau cover)

Posted by mcaramb

YEah, we fly in, so no car, so the parking and storing in a car option isn't viable. 5 days car rental+insurance+parking is waaaaay more expensive than a daily lyft drive in and out. Nor is dropping stuff off to using the shipping kiosk. Too many games. We come home with a total of over 300lbs of games we each shove into our free two checked bags on the way home. Shipping cost is immense in comparison. That's money we could spend on board games!

Posted by piggystarfish

Oh, yea car rental would definitively be a waste when there's games to be bought!

We also thought about why there's not a room/space for people to drop off purchases almost like a coat check. Give a big ballroom in of the hotels, and have a bunch of numbered tables. Then just make everyone fill out an itemized list, like how the game library does for game pieces. As quarex mentioned, not being able to serve all 70,000 attendees, just sell tickets. Most events sell out, and you'll never be able to appease everyone. 

Again, easier typed, and actually pulling it off. The logistics would be a nightmare! 

Posted by mikeboozer

It would be a logistics nightmare. That said we like the feedback and it is something that can be discussed for the future.

Mike

Posted by piggystarfish

Just out of curiosity mcaramb, how much would you/your crew think would be a reasonable amount you would pay to have somewhere to drop off your purchases? 

Just goofing around and thinking aloud, since work is slow today, but looking at the GenCon map, not sure if anything is held in some of the upper rooms of the Hyatt Regency, although small, it may be a good start. 

Also, I think if one of the game carrier bag companies got in on it they could run the room and offer to sell bags to keep people's items more organized. Then just have the room filled with tables with. Alternative to tables is to have boxes for everyone and the just tape it up. This may eliminate the need to have an actual itemized list, and could make pick up easier. 

Actually, if you forced people to box up their items, and have an assembly area with boxes and tape, and then they just check the box in, that way you don't need the tables and just a big space where you could potentially stack boxes. Maybe a separate area for more fragile items.

Then you have to deal with people picking up their items. Any box that is not picked up each night will be given to the mystery box booth to sell for charity! 

Now just need a shit ton of cardboard and tape, and to add a floor to the ICC!

Posted by mcaramb

I'd guess about $10-$15/day?

Posted by mcaramb mcaramb

mcaramb wrote:
I'd guess about $10-$15/day? For like about a 2'x2'x2' cubby hole?

Posted by quarex

My nightmare scenario vision of this actually being implemented is that it goes great the first year, and the second year so many people factor it into their plans as "must-do" that they run out of space on the first day and deal with hundreds of angry people the rest of the time

Posted by kertdawg quarex

quarex wrote:
My nightmare scenario vision of this actually being implemented is that it goes great the first year, and the second year so many people factor it into their plans as "must-do" that they run out of space on the first day and deal with hundreds of angry people the rest of the time
Hahaha!  "Cubby Lottery"

New Post Sign in to write a new post.