Attendance at Events with Single Day Badge? (or volunteering?)
Posted by momn99

Looks like I'm late to the game...  had no idea that 4 day badges could sell out.

If I were to have tickets to a Saturday event but didn't have a badge for that day, could/would that work? I'm assuming no, but wanted to verify.

Also, are there any ways to get a four day badge still (ie volunteering)?  I've volunteered in the past, but it's not as ideal since I'm from out of town now and travel cuts into the Con.

Thanks for any creative solutions/responses.

Posted by garhkal

Nope.  If you have a one day badg, you can only attend events on that day..

Posted by austicke momn99

momn99 wrote:If I were to have tickets to a Saturday event but didn't have a badge for that day, could/would that work?

Nope.
Also, are there any ways to get a four day badge still (ie volunteering)?

Yes, there are lots of companies still seeking volunteers. Plenty have been posted here and in other forums. Here's a recent post on Facebook that lists several.

Posted by momn99

Thanks for the quick responses and info!

Posted by bones311

[This post has been removed]

Posted by roderick bones311

[This post has been removed]

Posted by garhkal

And imo the more times people suggest things like that, the more likely Gencon is to start cramping down on it, by instigating a 'verify id of the person' sort of counter..

Posted by momn99

They know that the selling out is a pain point for people wanting to attend and that there are plenty of people that do want refunds.  I'm sure they'll be doing several more things differently than they have in years past.

It does look a bit greedy that they're sold out of something, some people want to return for a credit because now they can't/aren't going, and there are people that would love to have that ticket.  I'm guessing it's an accounting and logistical nightmare to make the refund/resale happen, make the ticket available again, etc.

Hopefully this is just because it's the 50th, and not the new norm for future Con's.

Posted by mhayward1978 roderick

roderick wrote:
bones311 wrote:
May also check the forums for people looking for a refund that couldn't get one. Badges are non transferable. But they don't check ID's
Don't be too sure...

Having an ID on you is not required by Gen Cons terms of service, nor is it mentioned in the Gen Con Show Policies - with the exception of collecting things at Will Call or processing a refund and exchanges.

Is there something you'd like to share with us?

If an attendee with a badge doesn't have (or claims to not have) an ID, are you saying they may be removed from events?

Are you saying Gen Con staff are empowered to check our IDs?

What forms of ID are acceptable?

What measures will Gen Con be taking to ensure its staff treat this personal information with appropriate confidentiality?

Under what circumstances should I expect Gen Con staff to demand to see my ID?

Posted by squirecam mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
roderick wrote:
bones311 wrote:
May also check the forums for people looking for a refund that couldn't get one. Badges are non transferable. But they don't check ID's
Don't be too sure...

Having an ID on you is not required by Gen Cons terms of service, nor is it mentioned in the Gen Con Show Policies - with the exception of collecting things at Will Call or processing a refund and exchanges.Is there something you'd like to share with us?
If an attendee with a badge doesn't have (or claims to not have) an ID, are you saying they may be removed from events?
What measures will Gen Con be taking to ensure its staff treat this personal information with appropriate confidentiality?
Hypothetically, how did you buy the badge without a credit card or proper id?

If you say you dont have one.....its more likely you are trying to get in illegally.

For those trying to game the system, you are only increasing the chances that Gencon will start checking ID's.

Posted by mhayward1978 squirecam

squirecam wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
roderick wrote:
bones311 wrote:
Don't be too sure...

Having an ID on you is not required by Gen Cons terms of service, nor is it mentioned in the Gen Con Show Policies - with the exception of collecting things at Will Call or processing a refund and exchanges.Is there something you'd like to share with us?
Hypothetically, how did you buy the badge without a credit card or proper id?If you say you dont have one.....its more likely you are trying to get in illegally.
For those trying to game the system, you are only increasing the chances that Gencon will start checking ID's.

Where to begin....

1. People can buy badges for friends and family, who may not have id.

2. Just because I have an Id does not mean I am obliged to carry it about with me through my day.  For many people, cosplayers, the forgetful, etc. it may be wise or convenient to leave such things in a safe place rather than carrying them around a crowded bustling environment.

3.i have absolutely no interest in being required to provide proof if Id to any gen con volunteer (or person in a shirt claiming to be one) that provides my full name, drivers license number, date of birth, and home address whole I am out of town on vacation - doing so would be extremely careless on my part.

Posted by alans momn99

momn99 wrote:
They know that the selling out is a pain point for people wanting to attend and that there are plenty of people that do want refunds.  I'm sure they'll be doing several more things differently than they have in years past.
It does look a bit greedy that they're sold out of something, some people want to return for a credit because now they can't/aren't going, and there are people that would love to have that ticket.  I'm guessing it's an accounting and logistical nightmare to make the refund/resale happen, make the ticket available again, etc.
Hopefully this is just because it's the 50th, and not the new norm for future Con's.
Yes to the "accounting and logistical nightmare," I'm sure.  They have a set cut-off for refunds, which is the end of pre-reg, which is when they start shipping out badges and tickets.  It seems pretty generous, time-wise, actually...

Posted by runner1244

I want to attend but only to watch and not play. I know I have to have badge but do I need event  tickets also? Thanks for any help

Posted by garhkal

If you are just watching, First ask the person running.  Some games don't allow it (especially if you might be playing that RPG event later, or they just don't like the distraction of someone watching).  Others encourage it.

BUT if you get the ok to watch, no you don't need an event ticket..

Posted by lilyjade garhkal

garhkal wrote:
If you are just watching, First ask the person running.  Some games don't allow it (especially if you might be playing that RPG event later, or they just don't like the distraction of someone watching).  Others encourage it.
BUT if you get the ok to watch, no you don't need an event ticket..
I would also ask the other players. I would be okay with it if you were hanging back, away from the table, and quietly observing. I would not be okay with it if you were standing right behind us or trying to sit at the table.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.