Forum Stink?
Posted by garhkal

I know in prior years, on the wedesday of the con, many of us forumites, had an event "the Gencon forum stink".

I wonder, will it be going on this year, or cause of the covid restrictions, its been nixed?

Posted by austicke

The latter. No Stink this year.

Posted by quarex

Seems like a good chance to regroup and retool* things going forward!  Well, wait, I suppose that is what 2020 was, for that matter.

*and rename

Posted by helenbb

Maybe we can all Stink it up outdoors... ;)

Posted by xanathon

If the beer garden is going to be there that is a good gathering place for everyone.

Posted by matthias9 quarex

quarex wrote:
Seems like a good chance to regroup and retool* things going forward!  Well, wait, I suppose that is what 2020 was, for that matter.
*and rename

Rename.  Yes. That dumb name has made me immediately dismiss the idea every time I have thought of going to it.

Posted by garhkal

So maybe we can all put our heads together to get a new name for the gencon forum get-together...

Posted by quarex

I usually dance around criticism more than that, but I am glad to hear my friends and I are not the only people who find the name a legitimate barrier to entry.

Now, just like criticizing anything so popular it sells out immediately, well, I doubt the suggestions will be taken too seriously.  But maybe if it becomes obvious that the "ha ha lol gamer smell bad lol" joke is about 20 years passé (at least) we might see some progress!

Usually people say "oh if you think the name is so bad, why don't you come up with a better one?" so I will preemptively come up with some better names off the top of my head

Gen-Congress
Gamer Concord
NerDétente (O.K. that is not actually a better name)
Dragontailgate
The Pre-Game (you know you like this one; I can already see the merchandise)
Game Zero
The First Roll (/First Turn, First Round)
The Quest Begins

This is likely doubly pointless an endeavor as I doubt the people who run the Stink even post here anymore.  In fact, I have absolutely no idea who does run it.  Is it the Indy Mavens?  That sounds right?  I guess if they stop running it that would also be a chance to start up a new Wednesday meet-up event with one of those names?

Posted by rhone1

"The Pre-Game" is an awesome name!

Posted by njseahawksfan rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
"The Pre-Game" is an awesome name!
I second this!

Posted by aaronmlopez

My vote is to rename it Gen Con Vanguard

On another note. Does anybody know if the venue (Union Station) will be open to gamers just hanging out on Wednesday anyway? 

Posted by garhkal

I like the pre game option, and the Gen-Congress..  I also like the "First roll"..

Sounds like i need to create a poll thread...

Posted by rutherfordr

"The Roll For Initiative"

Posted by quarex

I am glad to hear some positive reactions to "The Pre-Game" because as soon as I typed it I was like "oh dang I would totally go to this," haha.  It is pretty universally applicable regardless of why an attendee is there.

Also AronMLopez' comment made me realize there are undoubtedly going to be people showing up at the usual time hoping something is going on.  If any moderator-types are reading this, could we get a judgment call on whether that is plausible?  If they are using Union Station this year I imagine it would indeed be available Wednesday night in some sense

Posted by roderick

I'm the usual Captain in charge at the Union Station, and I have no clue at this point. 

Posted by elvinlord

The Stink used to be a completely unofficial event loosely ran by fourmites.  It was not until recently it became a official unofficial event.  Nothing stopping people from organizing a unofficial Stink.  You just need a core of people to take initiative.

Posted by aaronmlopez quarex

quarex wrote:
This is likely doubly pointless an endeavor as I doubt the people who run the Stink even post here anymore.  In fact, I have absolutely no idea who does run it.  Is it the Indy Mavens?  That sounds right?  I guess if they stop running it that would also be a chance to start up a new Wednesday meet-up event with one of those names?

Actually, Austicke is the one who started The Stink (or, at least runs the Fans of Gen Con FB page that is responsible for it). He is a regular visitor and commenter here. 

Posted by dukejohn elvinlord

elvinlord wrote:
The Stink used to be a completely unofficial event loosely ran by fourmites.  It was not until recently it became a official unofficial event.  Nothing stopping people from organizing a unofficial Stink.  You just need a core of people to take initiative.

Yes, exactly.

Posted by austicke aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:Actually, Austicke is the one who started The Stink (or, at least runs the Fans of Gen Con FB page that is responsible for it).

No, that’s not correct. While I love the Stink (including its name), and the Fans of Facebook group has been a proud participant, I did not start the event and do not run it. The Indy Mavens are responsible.

Posted by austicke

And, FYI, while the Stink was canceled this year due to circumstances, it will return in 2022.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.