Anyone else getting charged by TRU Hilton?
Posted by donaldbain

I made a reservation back in Sept and now they're charging me for the entire stay.  Is this happening to anyone else?  When I booked the rooms, it was no prepay. 

I've contacted the hotel and corporate and got the run around.

online
Posted by jimmythesaint

No charges, but I had a hold placed on my card for a few days. Its gone now.

Posted by knuteski

Yes.  I forgot to post this exact thing since I was the one who posted the original "deal".  They have now charged the entire room price.  It did unfortunately state that there was a deposit for the full amount of the stay required but then they didn't charge it.  I actually booked 2 rooms for my group so $1,900 (5 days each) just hit my card.

Hopefully Gen Con decides soon when the convention will (hopefully) be and I can cancel it or begin the collection process from my group before the bill comes due in a month.

Not that it helps if funds are tight for you right now but it is fully refundable up to a few days (week???) before the convention.

Posted by gib_rebeg knuteski

knuteski wrote:
Yes.  I forgot to post this exact thing since I was the one who posted the original "deal".  They have now charged the entire room price.  It did unfortunately state that there was a deposit for the full amount of the stay required but then they didn't charge it.  I actually booked 2 rooms for my group so $1,900 (5 days each) just hit my card.
Hopefully Gen Con decides soon when the convention will (hopefully) be and I can cancel it or begin the collection process from my group before the bill comes due in a month.
Not that it helps if funds are tight for you right now but it is fully refundable up to a few days (week???) before the convention.
Most hotels that charge you in advance like this for the full stay, the room tends to be non-refundable.

Might want to check your booking a little closer, you might be stuck with the room if that is the case. Hotels don't like returning money once collected, so if they charged in full already, chances are, it's a non-refundable room.

online
Posted by jimmythesaint

Scratch my earlier post; the full charge hit today. I verified the charge and cancellation policy; no idea why they decided to bill now.

Posted by donaldbain

I've gone back and forth with the hotel and Hilton and they won't budge on the pre-charge.

What seems to have happened is:  the hotels doesn't pre-charge on regular stays.  For "high occupancy events" they pre-charge 100%.  I booked before the high occupancy events tag was added, so I got the regular rate and no pre-charge.

Apparently the hotel didn't open until the end of February, which is when they started charging the people. 

I didn't see a mention of any prepayment when I booked.  There is a tiny line at the end of the confirmation email that says "There is a credit card deposit required for this reservation, which has been charged to your card."  but it never mention it being 100% and after 6 months I figured it was waived do to a change in policy due to the virus. 

I spoke with then manager and assured me he set the "high occupancy events" tag when reservations open but that sounds like hooey to me to cover his backside.

The confirmation email does have Aug 3rd specified for a no penalty confirmation, so that's one good thing. 

Anyone wants to called the hotel and see if they have better luck I talked to Steve Melton and Josh Ray is the manager.  Their emails are their names with a dot between them @hilton.com

We're strapped for choices in for hotels, but any future Hilton reservation are going to be made through Hotels.com or something similar.  They don't make you pay upfront. 

online
Posted by jimmythesaint

Hilton Indianapolis rooms came available earlier today. I snagged one of those and cancelled my Tru reservation. I'll post if I have any trouble getting the charge cancelled, but I assume it will be fine.

Posted by knuteski

I already cancelled mine given the date changes and the refund says it will be coming.  Also, probably explains why the Hilton came available earlier today.

online
Posted by jimmythesaint

Ha, should have known there was a reason the Hilton came available this morning.

Posted by jhs

Hey, if you are still waiting for a refund you should give them a call.  Mine got lost in the shuffle but they fixed it when I called.

Posted by donaldbain

I had to call a week after I cancelled to get my refund processed.  It must have 'got lost in the shuffle' as well. 

Posted by jhs donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
I had to call a week after I cancelled to get my refund processed.  It must have 'got lost in the shuffle' as well. 
:), folks, check your cards for refunds!

Posted by mjlaba48

I got my refunds just fine.  Their front desk Emily is great.

Posted by donaldbain mjlaba48

mjlaba48 wrote:
I got my refunds just fine.  Their front desk Emily is great.
I cancelled online.  Calling the hotel may be the thing to do. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.