Thumbs down for vaxx policy
( Locked)
Posted by donaldbain emynst01

emynst01 wrote:
Gencon,
Just please look at the real data.  I work for a large hospital system, I am double vaccinated + booster, and just spent the last 8 weeks watching over 50% of our employees test positive. And we are a health system that had 100% vaccination for all employees.  I'm totally fine with unvaccinated people at the same table with me.
Where is the "real data"?

Posted by raptorov

Here we are are again, with folks who are not trypanophobes, giving those who may be grief and hostility. I got my Moderna one and my Moderna two. Intellectually I was ready, physiologically took a while until it was safe in my doctors office. Booster eligible in a month or so. I will try.
People are afraid of many stupid irrational things. Spiders, snakes, dark places, fire, claustrophobes, water, death, cats, dogs, heights, insects all sorts of stupid, dumb illogical superstitious idiots.
I am being facetious because I know those are real fears folks have.
I am a trypanophobe. I cannot look at, or think about needles without true distress. I know my booster is soon, as well as my routine check up with blood draw.
I will not be able to eat or drink for a week dreading the appointment when I make it. 
I may intellectually ready but know I will have blood draw. That does not stop my blood pressure from being 160 over 100, or my nausea from food, or my chance from vomiting.
My heart rate will be off the charts and I will do everything I can from passing out.
No avail.
I just wish the compassion showed to those with the above mentioned stupid weak illogical fears were shown to those with the trypanophobic fears.
I will get the booster eventually, and endure the horrifying torture. I want to come this year. It makes the gaming seriously un-fun. More like torture.
But I will do it.
I want to be at GenCon!

Posted by timjs21

GenCon is free to make whatever decisions they want regarding requiring attendees to be vaccinated.
GenCon is free to make whatever decisions they want regarding requiring attendees to wear masks.

We, as potential attendees, can all choose what we want.  I'm vaccinated and boosted.  I've attended GenCon each of the past 12 years that the convention was held.  Last year was a huge disappointment.  The hours were cut, the service at hotels and restaurants was horrible and yet everything was full price.  The most fun I had was playing games I brought with my group of friends.  I'd still love to return this year but won't simply because I refuse to wear a mask.  That's my choice.

I wish GenCon well, but believe they are heading towards financial ruin based on their requirements.

Posted by helenbb timjs21

timjs21 wrote:
GenCon is free to make whatever decisions they want regarding requiring attendees to be vaccinated.
GenCon is free to make whatever decisions they want regarding requiring attendees to wear masks.

This is obviously true. I think in this thread, people are simply expressing their support of, or disappointment with, such decisions. But no one is arguing Gen Con's right to make such decisions.

Posted by ploveking

Thumbs up for the vax policy! 

Posted by armored badger timjs21

timjs21 wrote:I wish GenCon well, but believe they are heading towards financial ruin based on their requirements.

Again with the doom and gloom? 

I get it that you are upset about the current policy, but keep in mind that things can and, most likely, will change. Gen Con is stating the policy now as a potential because if they wait and make it as it currently is later, they would receive more backlash. 

Also, keep in mind that there are many things that were out of Gen Con's control. The hours were set by the Indiana Convention Center so that cleaning could be completed. The service at restaurants and/or hotels being poor, falls entirely upon the restaurant and/or hotel. Gen Con also still has costs that they need to recoup so that the convention can continue on well into the future. Just because things didn't live up to the expectations that the past years have built up doesn't mean that Gen Con's bills went down.

If you aren't going because you don't agree with what the policies that are being put in place, that is fine and entirely your choice. I for one have been attending since 2011. Last year, though I didn't like having to wear a mask, was a great year in my book. I got to game with friends, see all the new shiny objects coming out, and enjoy the local cuisine without the lines of 2018-2019. And I will be going again this year and having fun with whatever I am doing. It's all just a matter of perspective. 

Posted by swaygodeus

By taking the vaxx requirement stance now, as opposed to later if things worsen, people like me aren't buying a badge since we can't attend. Taking the same stance as last year, I'd be buying my badges now. So they are taking the more restrictive policy now only to maybe loosen it later on? Doesn't make sense to me. 

A few people haven't mentioned "choice"...with this policy there is no choice. Masks should be a choice, your medical decisions should be your choice. 

As a healthy, unvaccinated person, I have zero issue with being around other people, mask, no mask, vaxx, no vaxx. 

As of tomorrow, where I am from, Western New York, we are no longer required to wear masks. 

For a venue that prides itself on inclusion, I do not feel included. 

Posted by emynst01 donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
emynst01 wrote:
Gencon,
Just please look at the real data.  I work for a large hospital system, I am double vaccinated + booster, and just spent the last 8 weeks watching over 50% of our employees test positive. And we are a health system that had 100% vaccination for all employees.  I'm totally fine with unvaccinated people at the same table with me.
Where is the "real data"?
Real data would be anything since ballpark mid October, when Omnicron spiked as it become the vast majority of new cases.  Where to get it? That depends on which state Gencon uses.  Most states have central health information exchanges (HIE's) that the hospitals feed real time data into it and can offer reporting (some states are still fragmented with multiple HIE's).  Our analytics group sends daily covid reports to county health departments for the respective hospitals in their region (the large counties for major cities have excellent data on covid vs vaccination in the region), you have the state HHS departments, and of course the CDC (which seemed to become a little paralyzed with their message in December/January because Omnicron broke all the rules).

Posted by kevinrg

Wondering what will be going on in August is an exercise in futility. 

Considering the pivots many countries and states are doing in the last week or so and the pivots that happened in August 2021, I could see a scenario in August 2022 where Gencon 2022 is like Gencon 2021, Gencon 2020 or Gencon 2019.

I'll care around the time I have to cancel my hotel without paying anything.

Posted by ryric swaygodeus

swaygodeus wrote:

A few people haven't mentioned "choice"...with this policy there is no choice. Masks should be a choice, your medical decisions should be your choice. 
As a healthy, unvaccinated person, I have zero issue with being around other people, mask, no mask, vaxx, no vaxx. 
As of tomorrow, where I am from, Western New York, we are no longer required to wear masks. 

Making medical decisions that affect only yourself is your choice. Once you go out in public, choosing not to mask or be vaccinated affects other people. If you want to feel included, don't make choices that make you a danger to everyone you meet. 

You wouldn't feel it's okay to wave a loaded gun around in the exhibit hall, right? You may disagree, but that level of reckless endangerment of everyone around is precisely what I see when I consider someone who is antivax/anti mask. 

Posted by sstalker23 swaygodeus

swaygodeus wrote:
By taking the vaxx requirement stance now, as opposed to later if things worsen, people like me aren't buying a badge since we can't attend. Taking the same stance as last year, I'd be buying my badges now. So they are taking the more restrictive policy now only to maybe loosen it later on? Doesn't make sense to me. 

This is to avoid the situation they had last year after the June health and safety update.  Changes were made after people had purchased their badges & after the refund period.  Many pissed people asking for refunds.  You won't get that if the policy is stated up front.

https://www.gencon.com/forums/78-general-info-2021/topics/16662-june-health-and-safety-update?page=7

Posted by lore seeker ryric

ryric wrote:
swaygodeus wrote:A few people haven't mentioned "choice"...with this policy there is no choice. Masks should be a choice, your medical decisions should be your choice. 
Making medical decisions that affect only yourself is your choice. Once you go out in public, choosing not to mask or be vaccinated affects other people. If you want to feel included, don't make choices that make you a danger to everyone you meet. You wouldn't feel it's okay to wave a loaded gun around in the exhibit hall, right? You may disagree, but that level of reckless endangerment of everyone around is precisely what I see when I consider someone who is antivax/anti mask. 

Or as I've sometimes seen it stated, "Your right to swing your fist stops at another person's nose."

Posted by papabees austicke

austicke wrote:
papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:Thumbs up for the vaccination policy. Well done, Gen Con.

Genuine question for you, and as I ask know that I myself am vaccinated, what do others having the vaccine do for you personally? Not trying to troll, I genuinely would like to know what people who want it to be required feel it is accomplishing.  

Because it's proven that it is harder for vaccinated individuals to become infected with COVID than those who are unvaccinated. So, if those around me have a lesser chance of catching COVID, then it makes me safer. There is a smaller chance I'll come in contact with someone who could give me COVID.

I would be curious to see any published data on this. I keep hearing people make this statement but I cannot find any hard data.

Posted by mikeboozer

Taking a more restrictive stance now informs attendees as to what our most restrictive measures could be.
This allows for people to make an informed decision right now concerning their attendance.

We feel it is best to start with this policy. If in the intervening months we can loosen this policy up due to changes in what is going on in the world concerning COVID we will take a look at that.

The show is too far away to know what the future will bring.

If we had a more relaxed policy right now and made it stricter later anyone who bought a badge based on that information would be upset.

It is obvious that some of you want a more restrictive policy and some of you want a less restrictive one. 

We must balance all of that while making your health and safety our top priority.

Mike

Posted by vulcanspock papabees

papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:
papabees wrote:

Genuine question for you, and as I ask know that I myself am vaccinated, what do others having the vaccine do for you personally? Not trying to troll, I genuinely would like to know what people who want it to be required feel it is accomplishing.  

Because it's proven that it is harder for vaccinated individuals to become infected with COVID than those who are unvaccinated. So, if those around me have a lesser chance of catching COVID, then it makes me safer. There is a smaller chance I'll come in contact with someone who could give me COVID.
I would be curious to see any published data on this. I keep hearing people make this statement but I cannot find any hard data.

From CDC website:  "Getting vaccinated against COVID-19 can lower your risk of getting and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19."

Posted by squirecam mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Taking a more restrictive stance now informs attendees as to our most restrictive measures could be.
This allows for people to make an informed decision right now concerning their attendance.
We feel it is best to start with this policy. If in the intervening months we can loosen this policy up due to changes in what is going on in the world concerning COVID we will take a look at that.
The show is too far away to know what the future will bring.
If we had a more relaxed policy right now and made it stricter later anyone who bought a badge based on that information would be upset.
It is obvious that some of you want a more restrictive policy and some of you want a less restrictive one. 
We must balance all of that while make your health and safety our top priority.
Mike
This stance is far preferable to what happened last year and I am glad Gencon has learned from it. Rules were relaxed last summer right before the summer surge, and the changes were reversed in a month but some still complained about going back even though the standard always was things can change.

If we reach mid July and there is no summer surge, then Gencon may be justified in changing its stance. 

Gencon is clearly making the right decision in waiting to see how the summer plays out before relaxing restrictions.

Posted by grognard262 papabees

papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:
papabees wrote:

Here is a piece from Harvard.  The link to the study is in the text.

The gist of it is that on average the infection clears more rapidly in vaccinated people, so they are contagious for a shorter period of time, resulting in less overall spread.

People with antibodies should be harder to infect, because that is what antibodies do -- latch on to the antigen and block it from infecting the cell.  In the case of Omicron, the antibodies are less effective because the spike has changed and they can't attach as easily.  The booster helps a bunch, because it produces a more varied range of antibodies than the initial series does.

Of course, the antibodies are temporary, so that first layer of protection only lasts a few months.  After that, everything your immune system does is in response to an infection, but it is prepared.

Posted by adcjones

thumbs up for the vax policy.

Posted by swaygodeus vulcanspock

mollymolly wrote:
papabees wrote:
austicke wrote:
papabees wrote:

From CDC website:  "Getting vaccinated against COVID-19 can lower your risk of getting and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19."

CAN lower your risk...not that it WILL lower your risk..

Posted by lore seeker adcjones

adcjones wrote:
thumbs up for the vax policy.

Agreed.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.