June Health and Safety Update
( Locked)
3 4 5 7
3 4 5 7
Posted by lore seeker hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
If the incentive to finally get a lifesaving vaccination is the chance to go to Gen Con....

I'm willing to bet it was at least part of the motivation for some people to get it when they first became available. Not all of the motivation, but part of it.

Then again, see Toxic Rat's post above.

Posted by helenbb

This is very disappointing, but if those are the rules, those are the rules. I was really hoping though that Gen Con wouldn't bow to that pressure. Oh well. I'll still be there with (unfortunately) mask on.

Posted by fethbone ematuskey

ematuskey wrote:
hahnarama wrote:
WHY would they bury the August September health update at the bottom of an email about gencon online? I've got no interest in online Gen Con I almost deleted the email without going all the way to the end

Agreed--they literally buried the lede!  I know they're blasting the news out on social media, but if I hadn't seen those posts first I probably would have missed the email announcement! 
Funny-not-funny but this exactly.

I am now wondering what the definition of "crowded outdoor spaces" is. Is "crowded" any place where you cannot maintain at least 6ft of distance from another person? Shoulder-to-shoulder standing room only? Something in between?

I wonder (well, even more than I did previously) about the point of universal masks "at Gencon" if there is no mask mandate in Marion County by that time. So I wander around the public areas of the ICC and hotels -not to mention the bars, restaurants, and shops- without a mask to get to the badge-required zones where I then don my mask? Some people say "liability", but what liability? Gencon is not (debate-ably, to be fair) a critical service- nobody has to be there. Mask mandate or mask optional, you know the rules, you know the risks, it's up to you whether to go. 

Posted by bsericks

I love how they announce this after the refund period.  Bunch of dill holes.

Posted by falinsh bsericks

bsericks wrote:

That's my ultimate question.  I would prefer not to go with the new mask mandate.  I can save a few thousand right up front by not attending.  I travel weekly in multiple areas with no issue.  The vast majority of attendees are vaccinated as am I.  I'll play what I play in the hotel - unmasked.  

At this point, I'm not spending another dime on vendors if attending as I won't be spending much time in the hall.   

Posted by squirecam bsericks

bsericks wrote:
They always said things could change if the CDC recommendations changed. And they had. This was always a reasonable assumption or you really havent been paying attention.

Posted by hahnarama bsericks

bsericks wrote:

No one could have sees Delta being out of control. I get it you're angry but focus it on the anti vaxxers.

Posted by lore seeker

In fact, Kelsey (on Discord) said that Delta started becoming a real problem just two days after the last update (or something to that effect). Just bad timing/luck.

Posted by fethbone falinsh

falinsh wrote:
bsericks wrote:

That's my ultimate question.  I would prefer not to go with the new mask mandate.  I can save a few thousand right up front by not attending.  I travel weekly in multiple areas with no issue.  The vast majority of attendees are vaccinated as am I.  I'll play what I play in the hotel - unmasked.  At this point, I'm not spending another dime on vendors if attending as I won't be spending much time in the hall.   
 Previously, I was satisfied that there was at least some sort of avenue provided to go mask-optional for the vaccinated or medically exempt, but if it wasn't for the fact that I am meeting a friend who is flying in, I would also probably rather skip the trip at this point if I had an avenue for a refund. I too travel for work and yes, I am used to and ok with wearing a mask 8-16hrs a day. For work. Doesn't mean I would like to wear one for that amount of time on vacation. 

I've accepted that they clearly stated the refund deadline with no exceptions for changes in policy, but it's still kind of a let down. I am still interested in checking out the vendor hall and giving First Exposure a go, but I also anticipate spending more time this year exploring Indy, relaxing in the hotel, and pick-up gaming in the hotels. 

Posted by hahnarama

I'm still going but I purchased a small CFAR police from my credit union ...just in case I changed my mind

Posted by qwaserity

I have a friend who's probably going to demand a full refund. He can't wear a mask the entire con. Too bad, it was going to be his first year. (And before you respond "expiration date", that's what small claims court is for.)

My disappointment is that GenCon said 90% of us are vaccinated (or will be). Everyone I know is vaccinated so I feel like we're being punished for following the rules.

Posted by papabees

It is a bummer that Delta has popped up like it has. And based on the announcement ya'll should buckle your seat belt because it seems like the powers that be are very much wanting to make it vaccination mandatory. If they can find a legal option to do so it's gonna happen. Wait till you see that hornets nest. 

And I'd say that just because someone has not been vaccinated yet does not mean they are anti-vaxx. I wanted to get a lot of data and see a lot of numbers before I did, and I've had mine for about a month. Indiana also had it's highest vaccine day just recently so there are still people gradually moving that way. It does not help that the far fringes on both sides tend to be the loudest voices.

It is interesting to see that the vaccines are really good at preventing disease but not necessarily great at preventing infection, which I suppose was how they were described originally. It's also good to see that those that have recovered from Covid (aside from asymptomatic cases) are showing a long term robust defense against catching it again even with Delta. So I guess the silver lining is that as people catch it and recover it moves us closer to the end zone as well. The tough thing is it's hard to count recovered plus vaxxed because those groups overlap. 

Hopefully we will find that Delta is not as deadly even though it spreads faster because typically as viruses mutate they don't attack quite as aggressively. Still need more data though.       

Posted by timjs21

I'm vaccinated and will NOT wear a mask.   GenCon has changed the rules so I expect a full and complete refund including hotel.  I hope many others also decide NOT to attend GenCon based on this mask policy change.  I'm sorry but I'm sick and tired of being inconvenienced to protect people that are foolish enough to have DECIDED not to get vaccinated.

Posted by greylore

I Agree with timjs21, I'm vaccinated and WILL NOT wear a mask. I'm sick and tired of all these whiney people that want everyone to wear one, ridiculous. If your that worried about things then STAY HOME, if you haven't been vaccinated THATS YOUR PROBLEM, if you have and your still worried, STAY HOME! I expect a FULL REFUND FOR EVERYTHING, since they want to change things at the last minute and bow down to these people, I WILL NOT!  

Posted by brewski

Hmmm... Might see some events open up. Time to check the event catalog to see what frees up.

Posted by sovietprince

if 90 percent are vaccinated then mask are not needed 

Posted by eldrad12000

Good luck with the refunds. I don't feel you will get them, but I think you should be able to.

Posted by mpagnotta310

To those complaining about the masks and how it’s not their responsibility to protect those that refuse to get the vaccine, I have one question.

If you were one of the rare instances of a breakthrough infection and you found out that someone unvaccinated caught the virus from you and got sick or even died, how would you feel?

Posted by ryric

Please keep in mind that wearing a mask when you're vaccinated isn't really about protecting the wearer, nor is it really about protecting the random non-vaccinated adults you come across (although it does do both). It's about protecting the immune-compromised, too young, and other groups that can't be vaccinated. It's especially about protecting those vulnerable groups from the anti vaxxers, who catch the disease then spread it to everyone they contact. I certainly don't want to be accidentally responsible for someone bringing Covid back home and getting a vulnerable friend or relative sick. I can suffer a little inconvenience.

So yes, if a vaccine-eligible adult chooses not to be vaccinated at this stage I say screw em, the information to make a responsible choice is out there and they're ignoring it. But that doesn't go for their children, and all the innocent strangers who may not have the choice, that those people contact. 

I think we're about to see some waves of mandated vaccinations by employers and schools. Apparently the vaccines are also nearing final FDA approval so it will take the wind out of the "you can't mandate an experimental treatment!" people's sails. 

Posted by grognard262 ryric

ryric wrote:It's about protecting the immune-compromised, too young, and other groups that can't be vaccinated.

Regarding the young, the CDC estimates there have been 332 pediatric deaths due to Covid over the past 18 months, which puts the rate of pediatric deaths on par with a typical flu season.  If we need to wear masks to protect the young from Covid, then by the same logic everyone needs to wear masks forever to protect them from influenza.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
3 4 5 7
3 4 5 7