Mask Break areas
Posted by papabees

Hey there,

Last year there were some mask break areas next to the food vendors in the game halls so that you did not need to buy food and then exit the hall. Are there mask break areas again this year in the Major Game halls? It appears from the maps that there is space but nothing was labeled as such. 

Posted by donaldbain

All the hallways are un-masked area, how much room do you need?

Posted by lore seeker donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:

I forgot - did someone from the con staff confirm that was how things worked?

Posted by donaldbain

https://www.gencon.com/forums/87-general-info-2022/topics/17596-gen-con-health-and-safety-policy-clarifications?page=5#80832

Posted by papabees donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
For those that seem to not understand the point of the question. There is a food vendor in the heart of the Gaming Hall that sells meals. Last year they had an area next to said vendor entitled "mask break area". The idea was, one could buy their food, consume their food while it was hot, and return to their tables to continue to participate run games rather than have to hunt down free tables... somewhere. If a game master is on a tight schedule, it helped with the events running smoothly for those that paid for tickets to an event that was to start at a specific time. Given current guidelines, we are prohibited from eating at gaming tables... so back to my original question, does the food vendor in the gaming hall have a mask break area similar to last year to accommodate those meals.  

Posted by quarex

I guess the point is that, potentially unlike last year, masks are not required in the hallways at all, so there is no need for a mask break area?

Posted by brumcg

I don't see an area like that on the Exhibit Hall map.  Since it's a vendor sell-out this year, I'm guessing that vendors will be using that space.

Posted by lanogironu papabees

papabees wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
For those that seem to not understand the point of the question. There is a food vendor in the heart of the Gaming Hall that sells meals. Last year they had an area next to said vendor entitled "mask break area". The idea was, one could buy their food, consume their food while it was hot, and return to their tables to continue to participate run games rather than have to hunt down free tables... somewhere. If a game master is on a tight schedule, it helped with the events running smoothly for those that paid for tickets to an event that was to start at a specific time. Given current guidelines, we are prohibited from eating at gaming tables... so back to my original question, does the food vendor in the gaming hall have a mask break area similar to last year to accommodate those meals.  

If it at all is like last year, if you sit down and are eating or drinking you can put your mask down to eat and drink without being harassed. If you sit there pretending to eat a hot dog for 30 minutes then you will and should be called out. But there does not appear to be a mask free area designated within the contention hall at this point.

Posted by papabees lanogironu

lanigironu wrote:
papabees wrote:
donaldbain wrote:

If it at all is like last year, if you sit down and are eating or drinking you can put your mask down to eat and drink without being harassed. If you sit there pretending to eat a hot dog for 30 minutes then you will and should be called out. But there does not appear to be a mask free area designated within the contention hall at this point.
My experience last year was that if you sat to actually eat a meal, staff would ask you to take it to a Mask Break area or a designated eating area. There was a designated area beside the food vendor so it made it easy. Just trying to collect data to plan schedules appropriately. 

Posted by kevinrg lanogironu

lanigironu wrote:
=inherit But there does not appear to be a mask free area designated within the contention hall at this point.

Not sure what you mean by convention hall, but if you mean the ICC as a whole, the hallways do not have a mask requirement so, any eating area along the hallway is going to be mask free and it won't matter if it takes you 2 hours to eat a hot dog. 

I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to the food places inside the various actual hall rooms rather than the outside hallway ones (like by Cardhalla)

Posted by helenbb

I have not seen anything that says that you cannot eat or drink at the gaming table. Many of us were doing this in 2021.

Posted by selene314 helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I have not seen anything that says that you cannot eat or drink at the gaming table. Many of us were doing this in 2021.

It's implied by the Health & Safety policy: "All participants must wear an approved face covering at all times while indoors in any Gen Con-controlled space"

Posted by lanogironu kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
lanigironu wrote:
=inherit But there does not appear to be a mask free area designated within the contention hall at this point.

Not sure what you mean by convention hall, but if you mean the ICC as a whole, the hallways do not have a mask requirement so, any eating area along the hallway is going to be mask free and it won't matter if it takes you 2 hours to eat a hot dog. I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to the food places inside the various actual hall rooms rather than the outside hallway ones (like by Cardhalla)

I meant in the GenCon hall properly. There was a "mask free zone" last year and that is not the case this year. It was in Hall K last year and intended for maskless gaming or eating. Obviously halls or outside are mask free, but that's not what they were asking about.

edit: I checked again and the map does now show a Mask Break Tables are in Hall K by the Wyrmwood booth. I don't know if that's a hold over from last year that wasn't removed, or if there actually is a zone over there. My guess is the former of those 2 based on map layout and GenCon statements. 

Posted by papabees lanogironu

lanigironu wrote:
kevinrg wrote:
lanigironu wrote:

Not sure what you mean by convention hall, but if you mean the ICC as a whole, the hallways do not have a mask requirement so, any eating area along the hallway is going to be mask free and it won't matter if it takes you 2 hours to eat a hot dog. I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to the food places inside the various actual hall rooms rather than the outside hallway ones (like by Cardhalla)

I meant in the GenCon hall properly. There was a "mask free zone" last year and that is not the case this year. It was in Hall K last year and intended for maskless gaming or eating. Obviously halls or outside are mask free, but that's not what they were asking about.edit: I checked again and the map does now show a Mask Break Tables are in Hall K by the Wyrmwood booth. I don't know if that's a hold over from last year that wasn't removed, or if there actually is a zone over there. My guess is the former of those 2 based on map layout and GenCon statements. 
Link to that map?

Posted by kevinrg selene314

selene314 wrote:
=inheritIt's implied by the Health & Safety policy: "All participants must wear an approved face covering at all times while indoors in any Gen Con-controlled space"

It was stated last year by Gencon that it was ok to drink at the table and dropping the mask to do that was fine.  They just wanted you to drink and then put it back on and not keep it off because "I'm drinking my 128 ounce soda so, I'll be a bit".      

Posted by papabees kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
selene314 wrote:
=inheritIt's implied by the Health & Safety policy: "All participants must wear an approved face covering at all times while indoors in any Gen Con-controlled space"
It was stated last year by Gencon that it was ok to drink at the table and dropping the mask to do that was fine.  They just wanted you to drink and then put it back on and not keep it off because "I'm drinking my 128 ounce soda so, I'll be a bit".      
Understood. They also told us not to eat meals at the tables. I'm curious if they are going to have tables to eat at the middle of Hall C and B by the food Vendor.

Posted by rockmikee

[This post has been removed]

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.