Last minute COVID positive.
Posted by qwaserity

What do you do when you test positive for COVID at the last minute? Okay, today...

Asking for a friend, actually asking for my sister. I just got into town and she called from Wisconsin

Posted by rfsullivan

...do you mean aside from stay home?

Posted by quarex

That is pretty much it.  Even VIGs cannot get refunds for that. 

Posted by kellishaver

I think you're allowed to be sad and have someone deliver ice cream to assist in working through that sadness. You can stay home and feel the feelings for the weekend - that's totally valid.

Stay in your pajamas for the duration.

Then you take what's left of your con budget and go to your favorite online retailer and buy something nice for yourself.

At least, that's what I would do.

Seriously, though, I'm sorry your sister t ested positive at the last minute. That's a real bummer.

Posted by hahnarama

Stay home

Posted by qwaserity

Well, that’s just awful. It took me years to convince them to come and now they’re out badges and events. I doubt they can cancel the event tickets online. They aren’t going to drive six hours one way to argue in person.

Posted by rong

If they have any e-tickets, those can be returned/cancelled on-line.

Posted by gib_rebeg qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
What do you do when you test positive for COVID at the last minute? Okay, today...
Asking for a friend, actually asking for my sister. I just got into town and she called from Wisconsin
Ideally one stays home when one is sick. Even when it's not covid.

But we don't live in an ideal world. Too often people will still go on vacations when sick because they ether were looking forward to going, or the money spent is non-refundable. After all they just loose out of all that money spent.

Ideally Gencon would offer full badge refunds right up to Wed of the start of the convention to help encourage those sick to refund their badge and stay home. 

Posted by qwaserity

Someone pointed out something to me at GenCon:

Have you ever had a bad experience at a restaurant so bad the manager comped your meal?
Ever had a bad experience at a place where they didn't comp you for a bad meal?

I've had both of these experiences (and some partial comps) and I'll tell you the long term difference: I know that not every experience is going to be perfect so I've revisited for the first restaurants. Not only do I avoid the bad restaurants but I've seen several of them close down when the Covid hit the fan. We lost both Denny's in our city and no one misses them.

Posted by lore seeker gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote
Ideally Gencon would offer full badge refunds right up to Wed of the start of the convention to help encourage those sick to refund their badge and stay home. 

Ideally the hotels would fully refund the cost of the stay too. As it is, you're out a full night's worth of money if you cancel sooner than a month (I think) beforehand.

Posted by mpagnotta310 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote

Ideally the hotels would fully refund the cost of the stay too. As it is, you're out a full night's worth of money if you cancel sooner than a month (I think) beforehand.

I know that if you book through Hotels.com (which I do), many hotels give you 24 hours prior to check-in to cancel at absolutely no cost.

Posted by forar lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote

Sadly, part of that is a 'skin in the game' element. Even with the penalties or costs of transferring or bailing, it's common to have rooms show up available at literally the last minute. Without even the meagerest of barriers present, we'd likely see a massive upswing in people grabbing as many rooms as they can 'just in case', which would only make the housing situation (already a major issue) even worse.

I don't think there's a good answer. 100% freedom to bail penalty free 5 minutes from check-in time would be very consumer friendly, but it would make housing an even bigger nightmare for the event, the hotels themselves, and even the consumers on a few levels.

Posted by lore seeker mpagnotta310

mpagnotta310 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote

I know that if you book through Hotels.com (which I do), many hotels give you 24 hours prior to check-in to cancel at absolutely no cost.

I don't know how anyone on a budget can do that - the non-block prices for downtown rooms get jacked up to extortionate levels.

Posted by lore seeker forar

forar wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote

Sadly, part of that is a 'skin in the game' element. Even with the penalties or costs of transferring or bailing, it's common to have rooms show up available at literally the last minute. Without even the meagerest of barriers present, we'd likely see a massive upswing in people grabbing as many rooms as they can 'just in case', which would only make the housing situation (already a major issue) even worse.I don't think there's a good answer. 100% freedom to bail penalty free 5 minutes from check-in time would be very consumer friendly, but it would make housing an even bigger nightmare for the event, the hotels themselves, and even the consumers on a few levels.

Basically, it could work if we could trust people not to be selfish dicks about it; alas, that's not the case.

Posted by mpagnotta310 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
mpagnotta310 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote

I don't know how anyone on a budget can do that - the non-block prices for downtown rooms get jacked up to extortionate levels.
Many of them also give you the option to pay at the hotel rather than immediately.

Also, I didn’t stay downtown. I stayed about 6 miles away on Rockville Road.

Posted by lore seeker mpagnotta310

mpagnotta310 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
mpagnotta310 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote

Many of them also give you the option to pay at the hotel rather than immediately.Also, I didn’t stay downtown. I stayed about 6 miles away on Rockville Road.

Ah. That helps (haven't checked non-downtown prices out-of-block).

Posted by raptorov

I stayed in Shelbyville. Since I was coming from Cincinnati solo, downtown prices were crazy and parking fees were nuts. Plus out of block was crazy west by the airport or north. So East was great. Holiday Inn 120 a night, deluxe room, fridge, microwave, total breakfast, and exactly 30 minutes from the Gate Ten lot. Fifteen more to the front lobby of ICC.
BTW, I was the only Gen Con-er there.

It was weird. You could hear the trucks on the highway, but when the blackout curtains were pulled, it sounded like thunder. Add the fan of the AC which sounded like rain, and it was amazing sleep. Fantastic mattresses. Holiday Inn Shelbyville IN. Pretty cool.

Posted by theinitiativeinn

I did something similar this year, albeit North up in Carmel.  Was this your Holiday Inn?
https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/shelbyville/indsh/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-EX-_-US-_-INDSH

Posted by raptorov

The link didnt work, but it seems like thats the one

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.