Covid positive
Posted by questionmanga

Anyone else test positive for Covid?  I tested positive today (10Aug) for Covid after return (07Aug). I am vaxed and boosted so my symptoms are generally like a bad cold. 

Posted by austicke

According to our Facebook poll, we're running at about 10% of respondents testing positive so far.

Posted by matthias9

It is interesting to see how many report positive.

But as a percentage, it really isn't reliable because people who are positive are a lot more likely to go online and 'report' it.

In short, it isn't a random sample necessary to draw conclusions of percentage. 

And that's before we even start asking questions about where and when they may have contracted it. 

Posted by vulcanspock matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
It is interesting to see how many report positive.
But as a percentage, it really isn't reliable because people who are positive are a lot more likely to go online and 'report' it.
In short, it isn't a random sample necessary to draw conclusions of percentage. 
And that's before we even start asking questions about where and when they may have contracted it. 

This.

Plus, you should wait 5 days before testing after exposure, according to the CDC.  I saw people posting on Monday that they "got COVID at Gen Con".  If they tested positive on Monday morning, I'd submit that, most likely, they already had it when they went to the convention, they just didn't know it yet.

Posted by tera

Symptoms come up 2-14 days after exposure.   The 5 day rule is for testing after a known exposure when you don't have symptoms. 
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

Posted by aldctjoc

Ugh... tested positive for symptoms just this noon. Symptoms hit hard yesterday, enough so that I took off of work and basically slept all day. 

Looking back, I think the start of symptoms was Tuesday, but I simply didn't recognize them as such at the time. Now I know.

A Tuesday onset means exposure from last Sunday to even prior to Gen Con. It's impossible to pin down of course. 

Posted by bkvoorhees48

I tested positive as well, and I know two others who have. 

Posted by qwaserity

Testing tonight. Friend who I had dinner with Friday night tested positive. SOoooooo glad my positive sister didn't come to Indy with covid. A warm "thank you" for those to came to GenCon while contagious.

Posted by questionmanga

I now have received 3 different exposure notifications totaling 3+ hours of close contact with persons who had Covid  at GenCon.  Based on the dates vax line and demos seem most likely sources.  

Posted by squirecam qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
Testing tonight. Friend who I had dinner with Friday night tested positive. SOoooooo glad my positive sister didn't come to Indy with covid. A warm "thank you" for those to came to GenCon while contagious.
yes people who were sick should have stayed home.

Unfortunately I know a few who were knowingly sick yet came anyway. 

Posted by gib_rebeg squirecam

squirecam wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
yes people who were sick should have stayed home.Unfortunately I know a few who were knowingly sick yet came anyway. 
And that's the thing.

What good was all the restrictions and mask?

I've got two conventions I'm attending in the next couple months. One is asking for a negitive covid PCR test. To me that makes more sense to reducing the spread by keeping covid positive people out, then banning the unvaccinated. Least then you know people there shouldn't have covid. Look at the numbers of positive attendees this year. Still very high.

Posted by squirecam gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
squirecam wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
yes people who were sick should have stayed home.Unfortunately I know a few who were knowingly sick yet came anyway. 
And that's the thing.What good was all the restrictions and mask?
I've got two conventions I'm attending in the next couple months. One is asking for a negitive covid PCR test. To me that makes more sense to reducing the spread by keeping covid positive people out, then banning the unvaccinated. Least then you know people there shouldn't have covid. Look at the numbers of positive attendees this year. Still very high.
and how do you stop the fake test result unless its performed right in front of the staff by everyone. Which would never ever work.

Posted by gib_rebeg squirecam

squirecam wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:
squirecam wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
and how do you stop the fake test result unless its performed right in front of the staff by everyone. Which would never ever work.
A PCR is is only preformed by a medical person. Meaning not over the counter. Little hard to fake one.

Posted by lore seeker gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
squirecam wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:
squirecam wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
A PCR is is only preformed by a medical person. Meaning not over the counter. Little hard to fake one.

And it can also detect the virus months after you've stopped being infectious. Plus they cost at least $100 a pop IIRC (technically it can be covered by insurance if it's considered "medically necessary," but if my $750 ambulance ride late last year taught me anything, it's that "medically necessary" is a very flexible term in insurance companies' collective minds).

Relying on a PCR result could 1) Bar people from entry who pose no danger and 2) Put economic roadblocks up that would also bar entry.

Posted by vulcanspock questionmanga

questionmanga wrote:
I now have received 3 different exposure notifications totaling 3+ hours of close contact with persons who had Covid  at GenCon.  Based on the dates vax line and demos seem most likely sources.  

I'm curious about how these notifications would work.  Who notified you and how would they even know when you were in the vaccine line?  Or even at a particular demo, for that matter?

Posted by squirecam vulcanspock

vulcanspock wrote:
questionmanga wrote:

I'm curious about how these notifications would work.  Who notified you and how would they even know when you were in the vaccine line?  Or even at a particular demo, for that matter?
my app records where I am and compares it with others using the same app. So if later one tests positive and they tell the app, the app let's you know if your phones were in proximity over the past few days. 

Both parties need to have it installed for the system to work.

Posted by squirecam gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
squirecam wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:
squirecam wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
so even less likely for gencon to use. 

Posted by questionmanga

Here is an example notification. I received this type on 3-4 & 6-7. I had another one on 6-7 that said 60+ minutes I am surmising the source. I assume if demo leaders or booth operatives tested positive they would inform, but HIPPA may restrict.  We 

DC CAN uses Bluetooth to communicate with other phones of people you have been near who also have DC CAN enabled. One of those people has tested positive for COVID-19, and you were in close contact for 15-59 minutes.

Posted by grognard262

I got boosted a few weeks before Gen Con because I was pretty certain that cheap cloth masks were worthless against four days of exposure to the virus.

Posted by forar grognard262

grognard262 wrote:I got boosted a few weeks before Gen Con because I was pretty certain that cheap cloth masks were worthless against four days of exposure to the virus.

I was fortunate enough to do the same. I believe with the current variants being boosted doesn't completely prevent the chance of infection, but I figured if I was going to be on the setup crew, demo'ing for 4 days, and tearing down, with a flight on each side of that, I might as well at least give myself the best possible chance to either avoid it or avoid serious issues with it (I'm aware the vaccines are not a guarantee of either).

Tested negative on arrival home on Monday, and again on Thursday. Going to give it one more swab on Saturday before plans Saturday evening, have been mostly hiding away from people all week, and barely go outside other than to walk the dog.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.