Covid positive
Posted by fethbone

Gencon has always had a no-refunds-after-the-refund-date-no-exceptions since forever, so nobody should be surprised some people still showed up sick. Before Covid, people were showing up sick, and they will continue to do so.

Maybe Gencon would benefit from partnering with or at least featuring some kind of trip or ticket insurance service. As much as I hate hate hate (hate hate...) Ticketmaster, buying their partnered ticket insurance for their events has gotten me my money back a couple times. You just need to THOROUGHLY read the fine print before buying and document everything.

Posted by qwaserity fethbone

fethbone wrote:Ticketmaster, buying their partnered ticket insurance for their events has gotten me my money back a couple times. You just need to THOROUGHLY read the fine print before buying and document everything.
LOL, I was looking at getting a ticket to the Kentucky State Fair for $11.25 and ticketmaster wanted to add $8.50 for insurance.

THAT aside, I concur. I bought insurance for the VBRO rental I got this year (damage, not travel) but it was worth it. How much would such an insurance run?

Posted by fethbone

They must have a minimum charge for the insurance service then, as the tickets I've had reimbursed have been between $75 and $120 and the insurance was between $8-12 iirc.

I think it also depends on the kind of insurance as well. "Regular" ticket and travel insurance that is maybe 8-15% of the total cost does have a lot of rules and stipulations. I looked into CFAR (cancel for any reason) insurance for a trip that I estimated to be about $3500-4000, and the trip insurance company wanted over $1000 to insure just that much. On the other hand, I have known people who got CFAR insurance on big, blowout trips and they said it was worth it when they had to cancel and submit a claim.

Posted by squirecam fethbone

fethbone wrote:
They must have a minimum charge for the insurance service then, as the tickets I've had reimbursed have been between $75 and $120 and the insurance was between $8-12 iirc.
I think it also depends on the kind of insurance as well. "Regular" ticket and travel insurance that is maybe 8-15% of the total cost does have a lot of rules and stipulations. I looked into CFAR (cancel for any reason) insurance for a trip that I estimated to be about $3500-4000, and the trip insurance company wanted over $1000 to insure just that much. On the other hand, I have known people who got CFAR insurance on big, blowout trips and they said it was worth it when they had to cancel and submit a claim.
People flying internationally to Gencon would want this I think. 

Posted by nedleeds lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
=inherit 1) Bar people from entry who pose no danger and 2) Put economic roadblocks up that would also bar entry.

Lol. Nobody poses any danger at this point past the danger we all faced in 2019. It's unfortunately descended into covid theater instead of getting the largest game convention in North America to drive, and push overall gamer health. 

Posted by mbeauparland

All this talk of Travel Insurance" is great, but it all boils down to Gen Con being unwilling to refund covid positive attendees, thus encouraging people to attend infected and pass the virus on to other con goers. It's a strange mixed message when they ask you to be vaccinated(a good idea!) wear a mask(a somewhat dubious idea) and wear an annoying wristband(a worthless "feel good theater" idea) all while saying they take health and safety seriously....

Posted by questionmanga mbeauparland

mbeauparland wrote:
All this talk of Travel Insurance" is great, but it all boils down to Gen Con being unwilling to refund covid positive attendees, thus encouraging people to attend infected and pass the virus on to other con goers. It's a strange mixed message when they ask you to be vaccinated(a good idea!) wear a mask(a somewhat dubious idea) and wear an annoying wristband(a worthless "feel good theater" idea) all while saying they take health and safety seriously....
I agree this is such a logical case you present. Why would someone want to lose the money and the experience. I am okay with no refunds if you allow for rollover. if you are serious about health, you need to have this kind of flexibility. Instead, no flexibility and then cram everyone to a single line and one location for those vax wristbands. It is obvious persons arrived with the virus as I received notices on Day -1 and Thursday.

Posted by urielblue

Yeah, I am currently sequestered with it. Ruined my KCon plans (Should be there right now...Out about 1K). Was is Gencon? Airport full of unmasked folks? Something else? Not sure...but symptoms showed up last Friday; By Monday it was pretty rough, and hopefully I'll be ok to return to work this coming week. Vax'd, boosted, and I'm that guy who wears 2 masks and gloves everywhere, but sometimes you fail a Save, despite having Advantage. Still glad I got to go and I can't wait till next year!

Posted by mbeauparland urielblue

urielblue wrote:
Yeah, I am currently sequestered with it. Ruined my KCon plans (Should be there right now...Out about 1K). Was is Gencon? Airport full of unmasked folks? Something else? Not sure...but symptoms showed up last Friday; By Monday it was pretty rough, and hopefully I'll be ok to return to work this coming week. Vax'd, boosted, and I'm that guy who wears 2 masks and gloves everywhere, but sometimes you fail a Save, despite having Advantage. Still glad I got to go and I can't wait till next year!

The seeming randomness can be maddening! I spent fours riding down to the con with my buddy, spent the week sharing a hotel room and nearly every meal, and four hours back on Sunday. We're both vaxxed, boosted, and wore masks.

He tested positive and I didn't....

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.