Hotel block sold out...for now!
(Pinned)
1 3
1 3
Posted by mikeboozer

Sold Out Advisory!

Due to unexpected turnout, the Gen Con 2022 attendee room block has sold out. Over the coming days and weeks we’ll be procuring supplemental inventory and making it available for booking on a first-come first served basis.

If you were unable to obtain a hotel room on opening day or are looking to change your assigned hotel or room type, please check back periodically as inventory will become available through supply additions and booking cancellations.

Thank you for your attention and patience.

Posted by foodiddiedoo

Man this stinks, literally just logged in for my room assignment time 3:19 and there is nothing left.  Thanks for letting us know that there's going to be more rooms.

Posted by quarex

Damn, this has to be a first

Posted by momoboy1

Housing seems to be a huge issue….every year….

Posted by kylerichardson

Posted by gdbroker

Were there less rooms allotted for the housing portal this year? I never had this happen so fast in past years. I'd be interested to know how many downtown rooms were available this year versus past years. I booked a room at a Holiday Inn 5 miles out for $150 a night as a backup in case I can't get something closer through the portal in the coming weeks.

Posted by alkorahil

No cool.
I went at my assigned time and nothing available. 

Posted by hkeaton75

Wow. 1st time in 10 years I haven't gotten a room. Every time I tried to book a room, it sold out before I could finish, and I had to start over. Does the interface not save the room while you are entering your details? Pretty terrible. Now I have to keep checking back and hope to be online when a new room is posted. Maybe the added rooms should be allotted according to your lottery time.

Posted by selene314 gdbroker

gdbroker wrote:
Were there less rooms allotted for the housing portal this year? I never had this happen so fast in past years. I'd be interested to know how many downtown rooms were available this year versus past years. I booked a room at a Holiday Inn 5 miles out for $150 a night as a backup in case I can't get something closer through the portal in the coming weeks.
I suspect there were a normal number of downtown rooms but fewer non-downtown hotels in the list. Downtown did sell out a little earlier than usual, but that's because more people were assigned early time slots. When I logged in there were about 10 hotels available including one only 3 miles out, which I would assume would sell out before further ones.

Posted by austicke hkeaton75

hkeaton75 wrote:Every time I tried to book a room, it sold out before I could finish, and I had to start over. Does the interface not save the room while you are entering your details?

It does. I wonder why it wasn't working.

Posted by grognard262

I expect that a large number of rooms will become available.

Think about what a "housing block" is.  Conventions don't own the hotels.  Rather, they enter into a contract with each hotel essentially saying that "if you charge $X per night, we will fill Y rooms for you."  The sum of all the Y's is the housing block.

In 2021, Gen Con obviously struggled to hold up its end of the bargain.  Downtown hotel rooms were basically available to anyone who wanted one, which had to be really tough on the hotels that were farther out and likely rented very few rooms.

For 2022, the housing block was likely negotiated during the Delta or Omicron waves, when COVID was raging.  Nobody knew what August will look like, or what attendance would be.  The hotels would be hesitant to block out a ton of rooms that might not get rented, and I know that conventions may suffer a financial penalty for failing to fill the rooms (although I do not know if this applies to Gen Con).  Thus the size of the hotel block was probably very conservatively sized to avoid a repeat of 2021.

Now that the initial block has sold out, it should be relatively straightforward for Gen Con to go back to the hotels and ask them to release more rooms, and the hotels should be happy to oblige since the risk of many empty rooms has greatly diminished.

Posted by lanogironu

gdbroker wrote:
What Holiday Inn did you find for that? I can't find anything that well priced inside I-465

Posted by namaimo

Hi folks!  I've been wanting to check the portal to see if anything else has popped up, and yes, I know about the website that does that.  My question is about logging into the housing portal.  I do have a room already assigned, but if I'd like to look for a better one, is there a way to do that?  When I go to my housing page, I have a button for "manage room" - and that takes me to a page asking for an access code.  I can click on a button to manage my existing reservation, but that just displays my reservation. What I really want to do is get back into the portal to look for a better room.  Any suggestions?  If something does pop up, I want to be able to get it, and I don't seem to have that ability if I've already reserved a room.  Grateful for any suggestions!  Is this happening to anyone else?

Posted by squirecam grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
Now that the initial block has sold out, it should be relatively straightforward for Gen Con to go back to the hotels and ask them to release more rooms, and the hotels should be happy to oblige since the risk of many empty rooms has greatly diminished.
This assumes people won’t just book direct at hotels with space available. If I was a downtown hotel I’d have those rooms already up and available.

Posted by austicke namaimo

namaimo wrote:I've been wanting to check the portal to see if anything else has popped up, and yes, I know about the website that does that.  My question is about logging into the housing portal.  I do have a room already assigned, but if I'd like to look for a better one, is there a way to do that?  When I go to my housing page, I have a button for "manage room" - and that takes me to a page asking for an access code.  I can click on a button to manage my existing reservation, but that just displays my reservation. What I really want to do is get back into the portal to look for a better room.  Any suggestions?

Click on Edit Room and then Change Hotel. A scary warning will pop up. Click Yes twice.

Your existing reservation won't change until you confirm a new one.

Posted by scswan squirecam

squirecam wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:
This assumes people won’t just book direct at hotels with space available. If I was a downtown hotel I’d have those rooms already up and available.
There are downtown connect hotels available on their website right now. At $641 a night.

Posted by namaimo austicke

austicke wrote:
namaimo wrote:I've been wanting to check the portal to see if anything else has popped up, and yes, I know about the website that does that.  My question is about logging into the housing portal.  I do have a room already assigned, but if I'd like to look for a better one, is there a way to do that?  When I go to my housing page, I have a button for "manage room" - and that takes me to a page asking for an access code.  I can click on a button to manage my existing reservation, but that just displays my reservation. What I really want to do is get back into the portal to look for a better room.  Any suggestions?

Click on Edit Room and then Change Hotel. A scary warning will pop up. Click Yes twice.Your existing reservation won't change until you confirm a new one.
Thanks Alec!!!  You're a gem.  I mean that sincerely.  :)

Posted by buffythecatslayer

I just checked the portal, and there are only two hotels with available rooms.

When might we get some new inventory?

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios

genconhotels.com shows 6 hotels in block with Thursday - Sunday rooms. Candlewood is closest at 2.8 miles. One just popped up this morning, 2 blocks away, when I snagged it. Keep looking, you might get lucky.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Genconhotels might not have the full info.  When I checked the actual portal earlier, they were completely sold out.  With just a few rooms popping up here & there, it seems like cancellations more than additional inventory being added.

I went ahead & booked a refundable room out-of-block where my friends are staying.  Better safe than sorry even if it did cost more.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3