Hotel block sold out...for now!
(Pinned)
1 3
1 3
Posted by quarex

I am with you, TinaBear81, as yes even though obviously the free breakfast is rolled into the room price, I cannot possibly emphasize enough what a great time and mental energy-saver it is stuffing yourself silly at your hotel before heading out for the day.  The only year so far we stayed at a place where you had to pay for breakfast it resulted in our group going to Patachou instead, which, while amazing, also took like 2 hours instead of 30 minutes, which is a very real difference when you are trying to maximize four days, obviously.

Oh, but yeah, and the more years I go to Gen-Con the more snacks and drinks I bring with me.  Or sometimes order, but I have been having a lot of fun exploring the fancy organic aisles at grocery stores for snacks and drinks I have never heard of in hopes of finding new favorites.  Sometimes it even works!  Regardless, it helps me skip lunch, and the associated endless waiting in the heat at food trucks, to just carry something with me to power through to a normal dinner.

Good call about the laundry on Sunday night, too.  Definitely something to consider now that I am finally able to stay until Monday for the first time, uh, ever, in my years of going since 1997.

Posted by tinabear81 quarex

quarex wrote:
I am with you, TinaBear81, as yes even though obviously the free breakfast is rolled into the room price, I cannot possibly emphasize enough what a great time and mental energy-saver it is stuffing yourself silly at your hotel before heading out for the day.  The only year so far we stayed at a place where you had to pay for breakfast it resulted in our group going to Patachou instead, which, while amazing, also took like 2 hours instead of 30 minutes, which is a very real difference when you are trying to maximize four days, obviously.
Oh, but yeah, and the more years I go to Gen-Con the more snacks and drinks I bring with me.  Or sometimes order, but I have been having a lot of fun exploring the fancy organic aisles at grocery stores for snacks and drinks I have never heard of in hopes of finding new favorites.  Sometimes it even works!  Regardless, it helps me skip lunch, and the associated endless waiting in the heat at food trucks, to just carry something with me to power through to a normal dinner.
Good call about the laundry on Sunday night, too.  Definitely something to consider now that I am finally able to stay until Monday for the first time, uh, ever, in my years of going since 1997.
The food and stuff started because the 1st year I went I was helped someone gm and got to stay for free.The opportunity fell into my lap with two months notice. I was mid-divorce and my budget was stretched. I lived on PBJs, trail mix, and protein bars and had an amazing time. We also were dumb enough to attempt a 12 hour drive Sunday night cueing a bonus night on my credit card somewhere close to the ohio/wv border. Every year since I’ve just packed food/snacks although there’s been more food truck and less actual lunches. The hotel laundry was clutch when I didn’t have in unit laundry. Saving a trip to the laundromat was worth the quarters.  I’ve also made sure to arrive on Wed and leave on Monday. It makes travel so much less exhausting, and the older I get the happier I am to plan to throw money at things. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3