Rooms DO become available, just keep checking
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by gennataos

I've been checking once or twice a day since the housing launched (ended up with airport room, which friend reserved).  I landed a traditional king at the Hilton downtown this morning.  I wan't spamming the site all day, every day, just checking casually once in a while during the week.  It can happen, folks, with very little effort.  Keep your hopes up!

Posted by bushmaster

How do you keep checking if you do have a reseveration?  I don't want to lose what I already have but maybe see might come up.

Posted by gennataos bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:
How do you keep checking if you do have a reseveration?  I don't want to lose what I already have but maybe see might come up.

My friend had made the original reservation.  

Posted by parody bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:

You can click Modify, then Modify next to your room information, and go wandering through the search system.  Unless you make a new reservation you won't lose your existing one.

Posted by gennataos parody

parody wrote:
bushmaster wrote:

You can click Modify, then Modify next to your room information, and go wandering through the search system.  Unless you make a new reservation you won't lose your existing one.
Nice!  I didn't know that.

Posted by audioslave

What dates did you search on, out of curiousity?

Posted by gennataos

8/3-8/7

Posted by bushmaster

Cool.. Thanks for the info.

Posted by audioslave

Thanks!

Posted by shanew

Be aware that there are people out there who have scripted this process to search for them, it's a little disheartening.

Posted by nikki

That is very disheartening.

Posted by truelink

Someone's been on Reddit. :p

Of course some people are scripting it. But that didn't stop Gennataos from getting a room. It can still happen; it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Posted by keppy

Is there a date in which GenCon might release unclaimed rooms set aside for staff or dealers?

Posted by mikeboozer keppy

keppy wrote:
Is there a date in which GenCon might release unclaimed rooms set aside for staff or dealers?

There are no specific dates, however rooms are released throughout the year as we book for various groups.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by keppy

Thanks Mike!

Posted by technoir

I've always loved the people who say "there are people who have scripted this" ... that doesn't work. Every year we hear about someone who's salty that they wrote a program to get the room you just got. 
Sometimes it comes down to luck. The scripts don't work. 

Posted by aldctjoc

BAM! An in-block room in the Westin just opened up and I got it. Yay! 

Like the OP says: Keep checking and don't despair. The opportunities are definitely there.

Posted by onelittlemoment

Yeah, I've been checking several times a day to no avail.
Here's to hoping!

Posted by aldctjoc

Hang in there. I just got lucky with the timing myself, and that means anyone else can do the same. Plus, it's still only February. If I'm reading multiple other forums correctly, a lot of the freeing up happens in June and July, when things crop up and force people to cancel. There's plenty of time and opportunity yet. 

Posted by onelittlemoment

"Reservations cancelled after June 13, 2016, are subject to a cancellation fee equal to one night room charge. No exceptions or refund will be granted."

Does anyone know if this applies if you transfer your reservation from one in block hotel to another? Or is this only if you out-and-out cancel?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5