housing WORST Ever
( Locked)
1 2 3 5 7 8 9
1 2 3 5 7 8 9
Posted by bith

Nobody doubts that Vegas could "handle" GenCon.  The doubts center around 1) Whether Vegas would welcome GenCon, or whether GenCon would be "yet another mid-sized trade show" to Vegas, and 2) Whether the decidedly non-family friendly atmosphere/reputation* of Vegas would hurt their attendance numbers in a substantial way.

*Whether you think it's accurate or not, Vegas has tried hard to foster the "adult" atmosphere and reputation.  And it has succeeded, at *least* insofar as the reputation is concerned.

Posted by gharris twosheds

twosheds wrote:
squirecam wrote:
braewe wrote:
Except that it IS. There is nothing at all that says they HAVE to accommodate everyone who wants to go.
Then why move from Milwaukee?When you outgrow a city you fix the issues or move.

While I never attended Gen Con in Milwaukee, my understanding is that in addition to the con outgrowing the venue, the city itself never really did much to embrace Gen Con.  Indy has done that.  The proverbial red carpet gets rolled out every year.Also, moving from Milwaukee to Indy had less of an impact because Indy was in the same general region, had better facilities, and Indy is embracing the idea of being a convention town.
Yes, Gen Con is now showing the upper limits of what Indy can host, but the next move (as has been discussed may times before) is not as easy of an upgrade as the Milwaukee to Indy move.

I do remember the later years of Gen Con Milwaukee. The city did give us lots of love, and even closed down a city block for us so we could have parties in the street. We even got to see They Might Be Giants- for FREE- at a Gen Con block party on Kilbourne Ave.

But....

You couldn't find a hotel room. Anywhere. And this is in a city where we even got to use the college dorms at Sandburgh Hall for housing. One year I literally drove back to Chicago every night because there were no hotels to be found. Trying to eat out wasn't happening either, the restaurants were swamped. I vividly remember 90+ minute waits everywhere almost nonstop, and many restaurants just stopped taking reservations.

Sure, the convention center could hold more people. The surrounding area just couldn't accommodate more people.

Posted by squirecam bith

saburch wrote:
Nobody doubts that Vegas could "handle" GenCon.  The doubts center around 1) Whether Vegas would welcome GenCon, or whether GenCon would be "yet another mid-sized trade show" to Vegas, and 2) Whether the decidedly non-family friendly atmosphere/reputation* of Vegas would hurt their attendance numbers in a substantial way.
*Whether you think it's accurate or not, Vegas has tried hard to foster the "adult" atmosphere and reputation.  And it has succeeded, at *least* insofar as the reputation is concerned.
It used to. Then it started to reverse that image.

CES takes over vegas. There really is an atmosphere and the hotels try very hard to make attendees happy. Will every hotel be as family friendly? Probably not. But there are many options.

https://www.oyster.com/las-vegas/hotels/roundups/best-kid-friendly-hotels-in-las-vegas/

Posted by gharris squirecam

squirecam wrote:
saburch wrote:
It used to. Then it started to reverse that image.CES takes over vegas. There really is an atmosphere and the hotels try very hard to make attendees happy. Will every hotel be as family friendly? Probably not. But there are many options.
https://www.oyster.com/las-vegas/hotels/roundups/best-kid-friendly-hotels-in-las-vegas/

All I know is I was in Vegas a few years ago and I saw an amazing amount of topless women at the pools, in the shows, and on cards on the street- and I wasn't even looking for topless women (not that I am complaining). Nothing says family friendly like booze, boobs, and prostitution. Not that I have a problem with that, if you aren't bothering anyone do what you want, but not exactly family friendly. Even if Vegas took some bleach and a scouring brush to all of that the memory remains for a lot of people.

Another consideration- how far are these "kid friendly" hotels from the convention center?

Posted by choriqueso

I am not even going to share how much I just had to pay... but if anyone is willing... There are rooms available at the Alexander right now. It's only .6 miles from convention center.

Posted by squirecam gharris

gharris wrote:
squirecam wrote:
saburch wrote:
It used to. Then it started to reverse that image.CES takes over vegas. There really is an atmosphere and the hotels try very hard to make attendees happy. Will every hotel be as family friendly? Probably not. But there are many options.

All I know is I was in Vegas a few years ago and I saw an amazing amount of topless women at the pools, in the shows, and on cards on the street- and I wasn't even looking for topless women (not that I am complaining). Nothing says family friendly like booze, boobs, and prostitution. Not that I have a problem with that, if you aren't bothering anyone do what you want, but not exactly family friendly. Even if Vegas took some bleach and a scouring brush to all of that the memory remains for a lot of people.Another consideration- how far are these "kid friendly" hotels from the convention center?
You would have to go to a topless pool to see that. Your kids wouldnt be allowed in.

Posted by gharris squirecam

squirecam wrote:
gharris wrote:
squirecam wrote:
saburch wrote:

All I know is I was in Vegas a few years ago and I saw an amazing amount of topless women at the pools, in the shows, and on cards on the street- and I wasn't even looking for topless women (not that I am complaining). Nothing says family friendly like booze, boobs, and prostitution. Not that I have a problem with that, if you aren't bothering anyone do what you want, but not exactly family friendly. Even if Vegas took some bleach and a scouring brush to all of that the memory remains for a lot of people.Another consideration- how far are these "kid friendly" hotels from the convention center?
You would have to go to a topless pool to see that. Your kids wouldnt be allowed in. 

I saw it just walking past the topless pool at Ceasars, and when I got my $11 margarita at the pool bar. And I saw them in multiples, including some that I really didn't want to see.

Posted by craftyshafty gharris

gharris wrote:
=inheritI do remember the later years of Gen Con Milwaukee. The city did give us lots of love, and even closed down a city block for us so we could have parties in the street. We even got to see They Might Be Giants- for FREE- at a Gen Con block party on Kilbourne Ave.

I was there for that show! Giant TMBG conga line through the street!

That was my first Gen Con and only one in Milwaukee. 

Posted by braewe

So I idly went and checked hotel prices in Vegas for next year's CES. You can certainly tell which hotels are 'within walking distance'. The prices are in the $600 a night range. Yes, you can also book for anywhere from $35 and up but...I thought the impetus for moving to Vegas was 'cheaper and plenty' within walking distance hotels.

I'd rather not pay $632 a night thanks.

Posted by braewe

Oh and as for moving from Milwaukee, clearly he felt Indy was a better choice for him and the convention, which it was. Doesn't mean he wants to take that gamble again. Or that he HAS to.

Posted by garhkal squirecam

squirecam wrote:

I get it that people who drive dont want Gen Con to leave Indy. I live in vegas and I dont want it to leave Indy either.

And should Gencon base their decision on just those who don't want indy to leave, OR on inputs from all attendees?
njseahawksfan wrote:I have been to Vegas for Magic Grand Prix recently.  It was super fun and totally NOT family friendly.  The event was 1/20th the size of Gen Con and the Strip was a mob scene for the entire time were there filled with drunk bachelor/batchelorette parties, several other conventions, guys handing out explicit ads for hookers ... you know, Vegas.  I cannot see GenCon fitting in with the vibe of Vegas AT ALL ... and I like Vegas.

When did you go (what time of year)?  I know some of my chiefs who had to attend a Security conference out there during the Nov-dec time frame back in 2010, and they didn't mention ANY issue with people and hooker handouts, or drunks etc..

Posted by armadilloal

Grand Prix Vegas was held in May 2015.

Posted by breye

I have heard, and I have no verification if this is true, that people who purchased ONE DAY badges for each day got 4 lottery times.

I've also heard of people making multiple accounts to get more than one lottery.

If either of those are true, that would be really not cool.

Posted by austicke breye

breye wrote:I have heard, and I have no verification if this is true, that people who purchased ONE DAY badges for each day got 4 lottery times.

Nope. That would only work if they purchased the four badges under four different accounts. However, while they'd only get one housing access time under one account, they would be able to book 2 hotel rooms by buying 4 badges.
I've also heard of people making multiple accounts to get more than one lottery.

Yes, if people purchased multiple badges each with a different account, then each account would get a housing access time.

That's working as intended—well, not that Gen Con intended for people to game the system, but I imagine they can only do so much if people are going to make fake accounts.

Posted by breye

The first one sounded wonky to me, but I have a high degree of trust in the source.
That source may just be misinformed (and thus my disclaimer).

The second I'm sure has happened.

Posted by jobeth66 njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
remnant wrote:
Out of curiosity has anyone been to Vegas (insert the city you're championing for here I guess if you like) for one of the gaming conventions out there?  Or moved around outside the strip?  Checked out North Las Vegas?  Etc.
I have been to Vegas for Magic Grand Prix recently.  It was super fun and totally NOT family friendly.  The event was 1/20th the size of Gen Con and the Strip was a mob scene for the entire time were there filled with drunk bachelor/batchelorette parties, several other conventions, guys handing out explicit ads for hookers ... you know, Vegas.  I cannot see GenCon fitting in with the vibe of Vegas AT ALL ... and I like Vegas.

This - but for HP Discover last year, not for a gaming convention.  Rooms were /expensive/, we stayed IN the hotel where the event was held and it was STILL a 20-minute walk from our room to the floor.  Rooms in block, for a mid-week event, and an event that was smaller than GenCon, were almost $300/night.  An event GenCon's size is going to garner MUCH higher prices.

The Vegas strip is not family-friendly, at all.  There are topless cards everywhere.  Including all over the sidewalks.  There are drunken people everywhere, 24/7. 

And nobody wants to walk 1/2 mile in 103 degree temps, even if they're not in cosplay, and even if they're not hauling backpacks and miniatures bags and supplies to GM or run a seminar. 

I get that people think Las Vegas would be great.  Heck, *I* think Las Vegas is great.  I love Vegas.  But not for GenCon.

Posted by ethrdemon gharris

gharris wrote:
twosheds wrote:
squirecam wrote:
braewe wrote:
Except that it IS. There is nothing at all that says they HAVE to accommodate everyone who wants to go.
Then why move from Milwaukee?When you outgrow a city you fix the issues or move.

While I never attended Gen Con in Milwaukee, my understanding is that in addition to the con outgrowing the venue, the city itself never really did much to embrace Gen Con.  Indy has done that.  The proverbial red carpet gets rolled out every year.Also, moving from Milwaukee to Indy had less of an impact because Indy was in the same general region, had better facilities, and Indy is embracing the idea of being a convention town.
Yes, Gen Con is now showing the upper limits of what Indy can host, but the next move (as has been discussed may times before) is not as easy of an upgrade as the Milwaukee to Indy move.
I do remember the later years of Gen Con Milwaukee. The city did give us lots of love, and even closed down a city block for us so we could have parties in the street. We even got to see They Might Be Giants- for FREE- at a Gen Con block party on Kilbourne Ave.
But....
You couldn't find a hotel room. Anywhere. And this is in a city where we even got to use the college dorms at Sandburgh Hall for housing. One year I literally drove back to Chicago every night because there were no hotels to be found. Trying to eat out wasn't happening either, the restaurants were swamped. I vividly remember 90+ minute waits everywhere almost nonstop, and many restaurants just stopped taking reservations.
Sure, the convention center could hold more people. The surrounding area just couldn't accommodate more people.

Milwaukee local here.  Big part of the problem and the reason for the move was that GenCon overlapped with the Wisconsin State Fair & Irish Fest, and none of the three wanted to give up their traditional dates.

Posted by cemmyberry

Been going to GenCon for many many years. We have never stayed downtown. Usually, by the time we get into housing "lottery" of some sort, everything is sold out and we have to book 30 minutes outside the city. There was only one year we have ever used the housing block to book and that hotel wasn't downtown.  This year is the first year I haven't been able to book a room outside the block that isn't 45 mins+ outside of Indy. I don't know what's gotta give but something has to. 

Posted by braewe

? There are quite a few hotels within 45 minutes outside the block available, all the way from downtown(ridiculous prices), airport($170) so-so, cheap but only 5-6 miles away (65-85) a night.

Indy itself still has quite a lot of housing available. My shock, on looking, was the hostel charging $205 a night. Wat!

Posted by knuteski

A bunch of interesting points.

Personally, Vegas is my favorite city, Vegas has a plethora of good "cheaper" connected rooms (CES draws 180,000 so you can't compare to that), Vegas has lots of food (buffets!!!), and it definitely has the meeting space.  But, I would never take my kids to Vegas.

As gharris said, it's pretty hard to miss the adults only atmosphere.  I'd let my kids out during the day but as soon as the soon goes down, my kids would be on locked.  From the cards to the drunken revelers, it's just not kid friendly.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 3 5 7 8 9
1 2 3 5 7 8 9