General Etiquette Guidelines
( Locked)
1 2 3 5 7 8
1 2 3 5 7 8
Posted by roderick

Okay guys, I think we've run the "strollers in the Dealer Hall" argument into the ground. 

So, let's move on to other tips.

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator; Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by roderick

And here's one: 

Show up on time for your events, and have your tickets ready, not buried in the bottom of your giant backpack. And make sure they are the correct tickets for the event. The ticket taker may not have time to scrutinize every ticket (especially in a big event), and I've seen more than one GM get no credit because they were given the wrong tickets in their game. 

Posted by garhkal roderick

roderick wrote:
And here's one: 
Show up on time for your events, and have your tickets ready, not buried in the bottom of your giant backpack. And make sure they are the correct tickets for the event. The ticket taker may not have time to scrutinize every ticket (especially in a big event), and I've seen more than one GM get no credit because they were given the wrong tickets in their game. 

Linked to that..  Ensure you have dice, pen(s) (or pencils if you prefer to use them), some sort of note paper/pad.  That way you don't have to mooch off other players when at a RPG table..
And IF YOU do have to borrow them, ENSURE you give them back at the end of that session.
I've lost track of the # of pens/pencils i've had 'creatively re-appropriated' at cons, cause of having to loan one or two out to players when i run a session, and they don't return them (and dice too)..

Posted by ascantla stiehle

stiehle wrote:
ryric wrote:
This is an amazing amount of hostility for an etiquette thread. I don't think we need to start a Gen Con chapter of SSCCATAGAPP. From my point of view, the overall point is, if you have some reason that your personal cross section is bigger than normal, be it from bag, backpack, costume, stroller, service animal, whatever, please just be aware of that fact. If everyone is trying to be considerate of others the con is better for all. Everyone has the right to be there, but even completely unencumbered people should strive to be aware of their surroundings and stay out of others' way. I myself spend a lot of time trying to find an unobtrusive spot to wait why my wife looks at things I don't care about.
Personally, I've been hit by more suddenly swung giant backpacks than anything else.

Heh, yeah the first page or two is actually full of some good tips, especially for first-timers like myself who can only benefit from the wisdom passed down by others who have attended these cons.  I'm not surely I can fully appreciate the enormity of the crowds until I actually see them, but at least I'm forwarned.  Also, I'd been planning to bring a backpack, but after seeing some of the advice I'm going to get an over the shoulder laptop bag instead so I can keep it close to my side rather than across my back.Unfortunately, this once-helpful thread has kinda taken a nasty turn along an angry side road...

We started with big backpacks our first year. Found we didn't need hardly any of the room and were very inconvenient for ourselves, let alone trying to be super careful in the crowded hall. (mostly wore it on the front) We've gotten down to just a messenger bag at this point. the ones they gave out the last couple years actually work pretty well, though my wife bought me the offworld designs one.
Anything that won't fit sits in the car until it's needed and with Gate 10 the shuttles get us back and forth easily.
I'll never get away from it as others in our group are very petite and need the strap to hold on to as I part the seas to where ever we are going.

Posted by chef pandakage

Be excellent to each other.

Posted by lore seeker chef pandakage

chef pandakage wrote:

Eh, I prefer the Wheaton's Law wording:

"Don't be a dick."

Posted by chef pandakage lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
chef pandakage wrote:

Eh, I prefer the Wheaton's Law wording:"Don't be a dick."
Haha either works well.

Posted by hoppities

I'll throw in a few from experiences I had in 2014:

• When you're at an event, be at the event. We were in a Caverna game, and one player spent much of the time walking away from the table and he was also talking on his phone from time to time. He wasn't engaged at all with the game, which was frustrating for the rest of the players.
  • Play for the entire event! I was at a Space Cadets: Dice Duel event, and it was so much fun, but there were some players who clearly didn't want to play after a few rounds. They just stopped halfway through the event, which forced the rest of us to stop as well.
  • Have fun and be cheerful during events. One of my best experiences was with two older guys playing Village. None of us had played before, and once the GM got us up and running, we had a blast because everyone was encouraging and cheerful the whole time. Attitude matters people :D

Posted by nesbit37 hoppities

hoppities wrote:

• Play for the entire event! I was at a Space Cadets: Dice Duel event, and it was so much fun, but there were some players who clearly didn't want to play after a few rounds. They just stopped halfway through the event, which forced the rest of us to stop as well.

I don't entirely agree with this one.  I mean, it sucks if an entire game folds because too many people leave, but Gen Con time is precious.  Why would you want to sit through something if you were not having fun?

Posted by garhkal nesbit37

nesbit37 wrote:
hoppities wrote:

I don't entirely agree with this one.  I mean, it sucks if an entire game folds because too many people leave, but Gen Con time is precious.  Why would you want to sit through something if you were not having fun?

Well, if the player(s) are not having a good time, why don't they say so at the table, rather than just getting up, and leaving early, potentially spoiling things for the others..

if someone comes up to be at the start of a 4 hr rpg session and says "dude, i have another commitment to go to at the 3hr mark, is it ok if i leave then"..  I've had no issue.
If they are just feeling poorly, i've had no issue.
If they just up and leave, not telling anyone why, i have a wonder of "why"?

Posted by lore seeker garhkal

garhkal wrote:
nesbit37 wrote:
hoppities wrote:

Well, if the player(s) are not having a good time, why don't they say so at the table, rather than just getting up, and leaving early

Some people

-Aren't good with confrontation
-Don't want to make waves
-Might be afraid of having everyone else at the table turn on them at once

Really, there are a bunch of possible answers for that.

Posted by mhayward1978 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
garhkal wrote:
nesbit37 wrote:
hoppities wrote:

Well, if the player(s) are not having a good time, why don't they say so at the table, rather than just getting up, and leaving early

Some people-Aren't good with confrontation
-Don't want to make waves
-Might be afraid of having everyone else at the table turn on them at once
Really, there are a bunch of possible answers for that.

Or, maybe because they are not solopsists and understand that when a group of people join together to undertake some collaborative activity such as a game, there is a social obligation to stick with it, because it's what you'd hope others would do for you.

Like, if I volunteer to help my friend move their couch to their second floor apartment, I shouldn't decide half way up the stairs that this sucks and I'm leaving... who could blame me, right?

Posted by tdb

Thank the GM/organizer/presenter/whatever of every event you go to.  Even if it wasn't great.  Even if it was rotten.  Every game, workshop and seminar involves a lot of work to make it happen. Even if it looks like all they did was show up with a boardgame, they also had to get the event written up and submitted, show up at the right place and time, collect the tickets, and teach the game.  It's the events that make GenCon what it is, so show some appreciation.

Posted by jevertt tdb

tdb wrote:
Thank the GM/organizer/presenter/whatever of every event you go to.  Even if it wasn't great.  Even if it was rotten.  Every game, workshop and seminar involves a lot of work to make it happen. Even if it looks like all they did was show up with a boardgame, they also had to get the event written up and submitted, show up at the right place and time, collect the tickets, and teach the game.  It's the events that make GenCon what it is, so show some appreciation.
This is my favorite suggestion. 

Posted by inis hoppities

hoppities wrote:
I'll throw in a few from experiences I had in 2014:

• When you're at an event, be at the event. We were in a Caverna game, and one player spent much of the time walking away from the table and he was also talking on his phone from time to time. He wasn't engaged at all with the game, which was frustrating for the rest of the players

This is just a bad situation all around.  As a person who has the kind of job where I cannot ignore a client who's calling in need I've been there.  The best advice I can give is that if you know a call is going to be long or distract you from the game just excuse yourself and leave.  I know it might be a game you've wanted to play for a long time, but you're not going to enjoy it you're constantly on the phone.  When you're done ask the Event Organizer if there's another time you can pop by and play.  If the call is going to be short, answer it, do what you have to do, and apologize to the table.  Let them know that it was a work call.  Most people understand and will be sympathetic.

So, this is a subject that pops up on board game geek from time to time.  In my experience the answer that I agree with and is most universally agreed upon is the ask method.  Just ask people if they're enjoying the game.  When they ask why, be honest.  You'd be surprised at how quickly this ends bad games.  If they're all having a good time and the game is short just stick it out.  If it's long and you're bringing this up early then ask if anybody minds if you duck out.  In many games this isn't going to be a problem and most people won't have an issue with it.  That being said if it's the kind of game where you leaving would mess things up for everybody else then be a good gamer and stick out the play through and try and have fun with it.  Even the worst game can be made fun if you have good people to play with.  

• Have fun and be cheerful during events. One of my best experiences was with two older guys playing Village. None of us had played before, and once the GM got us up and running, we had a blast because everyone was encouraging and cheerful the whole time. Attitude matters people :D

I could not agree more.  Even if you're not enjoying the game you can still have fun getting to know the other players in your group.  Remember, we're all here for a love of gaming.

Posted by qwaserity

Have empathy. Understand that some folks need a stroller. Some are carrying a bag full of necessities (from diapers to medicines). Your poor waitress is pulling a double shift and just had a table of lousy tippers. This convention is comprised of 65,000 visitors and thousands more workers, all of whom think differently.

Smile, have fun and respect everyone else.

Posted by nerdygirle87 chef pandakage

chef pandakage wrote:
Totally!

Posted by divachelle qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
Have empathy. Understand that some folks need a stroller. Some are carrying a bag full of necessities (from diapers to medicines). Your poor waitress is pulling a double shift and just had a table of lousy tippers. This convention is comprised of 65,000 visitors and thousands more workers, all of whom think differently.
Smile, have fun and respect everyone else.
#winningthecon

Posted by garhkal inis

inis wrote:This is just a bad situation all around.  As a person who has the kind of job where I cannot ignore a client who's calling in need I've been there

If you are supposed to be on holiday, why is work calling you?

Posted by k_dog64 garhkal

garhkal wrote:
inis wrote:This is just a bad situation all around.  As a person who has the kind of job where I cannot ignore a client who's calling in need I've been there

If you are supposed to be on holiday, why is work calling you? 
Not all of us have backups that can fill in when we are out.  While we may be able to get out of some of the daily activities, we can't always get out of the work emergencies.  I used to joke at my work that I took vacation time to work from home.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 3 5 7 8
1 2 3 5 7 8