General Etiquette Guidelines
( Locked)
3 4 5 7
3 4 5 7
Posted by stiehle garhkal

garhkal wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
Yeeeeeah...being randomly manhandled and dragged off to somewhere I don't want to be when I already have limited convention time doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

You didn't have to go.But due to social pressure most people would.
All participation was voluntary, if coerced due to social awkwardness.
It's fine if it's not your cup of tea - it's not mine either - but just clarifying that like, they weren't actually dragging you off against your will as you cried for assistance.

That's true.  I know the 2nd year i saw it, one of the players for a large mini game paid to get the klingon's to try and take the DM of the table..  He paid up TWICE what those 2 players did, to have the tables turned on THEM!!..

Another object lesson in NEVER trying to take on the DM of your game...

Posted by aldctjoc lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Yeeeeeah...being randomly manhandled and dragged off to somewhere I don't want to be when I already have limited convention time doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

Sorta depends on who's dragging you off and to where, right? ;)

Posted by bushmaster vectorlit

puargs wrote:It was a literal jail cell, set up in the hallway outside an entrance to the exhibit hall (both in Milwaukee and in Indianapolis after the move). The cell was manned by several people dressed as Klingons. You could give them money and they would find and jail the person of your choice (making a huge ruckus in the process). The more money you paid, the longer they were jailed (I think like 10 minutes tops). You could also pay money to bail them out, too.
As I remember it, all the money was donated to charity.
I have seen something similar but with Mandalorian bounty hunters and stormtroopers.

Posted by garhkal vectorlit

puargs wrote:
garhkal wrote:That's true.  I know the 2nd year i saw it, one of the players for a large mini game paid to get the klingon's to try and take the DM of the table..  He paid up TWICE what those 2 players did, to have the tables turned on THEM!!..

Hahaha that is hilarious.

The players who paid up thought so too, at first, till they realized the tables could be turned on them!..
bushmaster wrote:I have seen something similar but with Mandalorian bounty hunters and stormtroopers.

As A SW fan, that would be Awesome to have seen!

Posted by lore seeker aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

Sorta depends on who's dragging you off and to where, right? ;)

Trust me, the good version of that sentence is NEVER gonna happen to me :p

Posted by quarex lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:Yeeeeeah...being randomly manhandled and dragged off to somewhere I don't want to be when I already have limited convention time doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.
Even though the Klingon Jail 'n' Bail is now a nostalgic hilarious memory of previous Gens-Con for me and my friends, yeah, I was pretty much 100% with you when it was still active.  Your choices if someone wants to imprison you and you are not in the mood to "be imprisoned" are to look like an enormous jerk in front of everyone by refusing to go, or to go along with it and be angry that your time (and/or money) is being wasted by someone who is probably not as a good friend as you thought.

But again, those incredibly rare times I saw it being used where people were going along with it, it was pretty fun.  And I still vaguely wish it were around but with more overt consent required.

Posted by ladyimm

Here's a big thing from me:

For many, many years I have used a mobility scooter to get around Gencon.  For many, many years there have been a number of times people either didn't take 5 seconds to hold a door open for me (those handicapped doors don't always work!) OR let the door slam right into me as I was trying to go through... Also... LOOK DOWN OCCASIONALLY.

I'm not using a Mobility Scooter this year.  I've lost nearly 80 lbs (with many more to go) and am more upwardly mobile.  I WILL probably use a walker of some sort to give my back some help.  Same thing with the doors will apply - please take a second to hold one open, please... would you?  Thanks! :)

Posted by garhkal

Linked to that... if someone does hold a door open for you, a "thank you" is appreciated.

Posted by bith quarex

quarex wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:Yeeeeeah...being randomly manhandled and dragged off to somewhere I don't want to be when I already have limited convention time doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.
Even though the Klingon Jail 'n' Bail is now a nostalgic hilarious memory of previous Gens-Con for me and my friends, yeah, I was pretty much 100% with you when it was still active.  Your choices if someone wants to imprison you and you are not in the mood to "be imprisoned" are to look like an enormous jerk in front of everyone by refusing to go, or to go along with it and be angry that your time (and/or money) is being wasted by someone who is probably not as a good friend as you thought.But again, those incredibly rare times I saw it being used where people were going along with it, it was pretty fun.  And I still vaguely wish it were around but with more overt consent required.
100% agree.  Realistically I think the convention outgrew it.  When there were 20,000 people, it may have been hard to find the right person, but it was doable.  With 60,000+?  I imagine it's just not feasible at all.

Posted by wendel

Except for people with a medical condition Gen Con should ban strollers, and pull/push wheeled carts in the dealer hall. These items totally restrict traffic and are dangerous to others.

1.) Take a bath daily.
2.) Use deodorant daily/hourly/as needed.
3.) Be courteous and friendly, everyone is at the convention to have a good time.
4.) Holding a door open, saying please, thank you can make someones day.
5.) Have fun!

Posted by ethrdemon bith

bithlord wrote:
quarex wrote:
Even though the Klingon Jail 'n' Bail is now a nostalgic hilarious memory of previous Gens-Con for me and my friends, yeah, I was pretty much 100% with you when it was still active.  Your choices if someone wants to imprison you and you are not in the mood to "be imprisoned" are to look like an enormous jerk in front of everyone by refusing to go, or to go along with it and be angry that your time (and/or money) is being wasted by someone who is probably not as a good friend as you thought.But again, those incredibly rare times I saw it being used where people were going along with it, it was pretty fun.  And I still vaguely wish it were around but with more overt consent required.
100% agree.  Realistically I think the convention outgrew it.  When there were 20,000 people, it may have been hard to find the right person, but it was doable.  With 60,000+?  I imagine it's just not feasible at all.
Definitely true of a lot of things.  My friends & I used to have a "regular spot" in Milwaukee, I can't even imagine that working anymore.

Posted by andrewj.rager

What are the general guidelines for strollers? Are these frowned upon due to their size, or forgiven because there is a cute adorable baby in them?

Posted by divachelle andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
What are the general guidelines for strollers? Are these frowned upon due to their size, or forgiven because there is a cute adorable baby in them?
Nobody can prevent you from using a stroller.

If you need a stroller, use one. Just use it respectfully.

There are umpteen horror stories about strollers being used as blockers and battering rams, so don't be those parents.

Posted by soulcatcher78 andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
Not really any guidelines to speak of when it comes to strollers.  The larger they are the more difficult they will be to maneuver in congested (read: all) areas.  The dealer hall is the biggest issue as you will be shoulder to hip with the rest of the gaming world and not all of our brothers and sisters are aware of their surroundings (causing jostling, spills, etc.).  Driving those things in crowds can be difficult at the best of times and all it takes is for you to be distracted for a second to run into a suddenly stopped (for picture taking, etc.) gaggle of gamers and getting the "watch where you're going look" at the very least.

If you're not Grand Prix qualified with your baby car of choice don't be surprised when there are issues.  

Posted by njseahawksfan andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:

I would suggest a smaller lighter collapsable stroller over the SUV sized ones. 

Posted by andrewj.rager njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:

Yeah ours isn't huge. Its not one of those umbrella ones, but it does collapse. Probably still too big for the dealer hall though..

Posted by aaronr andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:

Yeah ours isn't huge. Its not one of those umbrella ones, but it does collapse. Probably still too big for the dealer hall though..
Having pushed a stroller through the dealers hall in past years I HIGHLY suggest picking up an umbrella stroller. They have a smaller footprint and tend to maneuver better than the larger ones. As said above just be aware of your surroundings and assume that no one else is aware of theirs and you should be fine.

Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Linked to that... if someone does hold a door open for you, a "thank you" is appreciated.

Nope.  I will not ever thank someone for holding a door open for me.  I say thank you in response to a favor.  My arms work fine.  At best you have done me no favor and performed an utterly neutral act.  At worst, you have, in attempting to be helpful, forced me to change my pace so that I have to catch up to your friendly gesture.  Usually when people try to hold a door open for me, unless I am directly behind them, I just stop and stare.  Or I turn around.

mstabosz wrote:
[/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/7693-general-etiquette-guidelines?page=7#33476ined] garhkal wrote:[/url]

Nope.  I will not ever thank someone for holding a door open for me.  I say thank you in response to a favor.  My arms work fine.  At best you have done me no favor and performed an utterly neutral act.  At worst, you have, in attempting to be helpful, forced me to change my pace so that I have to catch up to your friendly gesture.  Usually when people try to hold a door open for me, unless I am directly behind them, I just stop and stare.  Or I turn around.
Wait.  Are you seriously *upset* at people for extending common courtesy?  I don't get it...

Posted by apparentlymarylee

I get what mstabosz means in cases where, you're like 20 feet away. Now I have to jog to get to you because you're insisting you do this "nice" thing for me? Screw that. I usually slow down and look at my phone. 

In cases where people are simply holding the door for me and I'm right behind them, I always say thanks. Always. Because it feels so shitty to not get a thank you when I do it for others. 

Edit: I just want to reiterate: BATHE. WEAR CLEAN CLOTHES.

The stench at PAX last year was enough to bring something that should have been 100% enjoyment down to a 70 at least. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
3 4 5 7
3 4 5 7