General Etiquette Guidelines
( Locked)
2 3 4 6 8
2 3 4 6 8
Posted by inis k_dog64

k_dog64 wrote:
garhkal wrote:
inis wrote:This is just a bad situation all around.  As a person who has the kind of job where I cannot ignore a client who's calling in need I've been there

If you are supposed to be on holiday, why is work calling you? 
Not all of us have backups that can fill in when we are out.  While we may be able to get out of some of the daily activities, we can't always get out of the work emergencies.  I used to joke at my work that I took vacation time to work from home.

K_dog64 is 100% correct.

Posted by tdb inis

inis wrote:
k_dog64 wrote:
garhkal wrote:
inis wrote:This is just a bad situation all around.  As a person who has the kind of job where I cannot ignore a client who's calling in need I've been there

If you are supposed to be on holiday, why is work calling you? 
Not all of us have backups that can fill in when we are out.  While we may be able to get out of some of the daily activities, we can't always get out of the work emergencies.  I used to joke at my work that I took vacation time to work from home.

K_dog64 is 100% correct.

Yep.  Been there, done that.  The day I quit that job was one of the best days of my life. 

Posted by tony_4 pinkparasol

pinkparasol wrote:
gharris wrote:
ascantla wrote:
We love to see Cosplay at the Con. Make sure when we want to take pictures we line up down the aisle and not across it. stopping 300 people behind you so you don't walk through someone's shot isn't easy. 

I agree with everything you said except this. There is never a good reason to stop in the aisles to take pictures. A lot of people want to see a "no cosplay in the exhibit hall" rule for this very reason.The thing I would add to this list is "Don't be the person who is trying to bring a stroller into the exhibit hall". Just.....no. It causes even more traffic clogs, even if people are trying to be "polite" about letting you through, and with the crowds of people not looking where they are going (as well as the ever present fat guys oblivious to where their backpacks are hazards) it just isn't very safe. Find a sitter, visit during nap time, trade off exhibit hall trips, whatever, just don't bring a damn stroller into the exhibit hall!
While I agree that people should never be stopping to take pictures in the exhibit hall and thus clogging the aisles, as a cosplayer myself I would be upset if I was forced to go all the way back to my hotel to change out of my cosplay and into regular clothes, come all the way back to browse the exhibit hall for an hour then go all the way back to reapply my cosplay and make up and come back. A lot of cosplay is not easy to swap out like a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. Instead of banning costumes enforce the rule of using designated photo op areas to take pictures instead. It doesn't take much to tell a person that you appreciate their interest in your costume but can they wait for you to finish purchasing your stuff at a booth and meet them out at a photo spot.
I also agree with you regarding strollers. Most strollers are cumbersome, overly large, and take up so much space. Add in if you have several children with you; like one or two in the stroller and one or two hanging on to the stroller you're asking for a disaster regarding someone knocking into a child or bumping the stroller on accident and stressing out/scaring the kid. If your child can walk don't take a stroller in with you, as I've seen many a times a child wanting out and instead of the stroller being used for the kid it's used as a shopping cart as the child holds on to the side and once again you're taking up more space then you should be and courting disaster with someone not thinking to look down when they're browsing booths.
So its okay to dress like a baby, but not to take an actual baby in a stroller.  *sigh* cosplayers.  Go get your own convention, this one is ours for gaming.  Its bad enough kids can't go to the main parts of the convention without seeing totally inappropriate costumes, but now they shouldn't even go into the exhibit hall because it is inconvenient for someone who entertains themselves by donning a unitard.  

Gamers need to take our convention back.

Posted by austicke tony_4

tony_4 wrote:*sigh* cosplayers.  Go get your own convention, this one is ours for gaming.
Gamers need to take our convention back.

You're 30+ years late. Costuming has been a part of Gen Con for a very long time.

Posted by vectorlit tony_4

Wow dude. My friends and I were coming with capes and makeup 20 years ago. Plus Klingon jail-n-bail, sailor moon guy, chain mail booth lady, etc...

The convention isn't any less because even more people want to come and have fun.

Posted by raidkillsbugsded tony_4

*sigh* cosplayers.  Go get your own convention, this one is ours for gaming.  

"I'm old and I'm not happy. Everything today is improved and I don't like it. I hate it! In my day we didn't have hair dryers. If you wanted to blow dry your hair you stood outside during a hurricane."

Posted by lore seeker vectorlit

puargs wrote:

The convention isn't any less because even more people want to come and have fun.

Damn right.

Posted by mhayward1978 raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
  *sigh* cosplayers.  Go get your own convention, this one is ours for gaming.  
"I'm old and I'm not happy. Everything today is improved and I don't like it. I hate it! In my day we didn't have hair dryers. If you wanted to blow dry your hair you stood outside during a hurricane."

Posted by rogersba

Be excellent to each other!

Posted by vectorlit

Posted by garhkal vectorlit

puargs wrote:
Wow dude. My friends and I were coming with capes and makeup 20 years ago. Plus Klingon jail-n-bail, sailor moon guy, chain mail booth lady, etc...

Man it's been years since i saw the Klingon jail n bail..

Posted by vectorlit

The jail n bail was so awesome. Hoping to see a resurgence at some point (maybe with more characters??) :D

Posted by lore seeker

What was the jail n bail?

Posted by vectorlit

It was a literal jail cell, set up in the hallway outside an entrance to the exhibit hall (both in Milwaukee and in Indianapolis after the move). The cell was manned by several people dressed as Klingons. You could give them money and they would find and jail the person of your choice (making a huge ruckus in the process). The more money you paid, the longer they were jailed (I think like 10 minutes tops). You could also pay money to bail them out, too.

As I remember it, all the money was donated to charity.

Posted by garhkal

Yup.  And the person who was 'to be jailed' was the one who had to bail himself out. 
BUT when you paid to get someone jailed, you filled out this sheet, that the klingon dressed people, would "read aloud" sort of like one of those old town criers!.. 

Posted by lore seeker

Yeeeeeah...being randomly manhandled and dragged off to somewhere I don't want to be when I already have limited convention time doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

Posted by mhayward1978 lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
Yeeeeeah...being randomly manhandled and dragged off to somewhere I don't want to be when I already have limited convention time doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

You didn't have to go.

But due to social pressure most people would.

All participation was voluntary, if coerced due to social awkwardness.

It's fine if it's not your cup of tea - it's not mine either - but just clarifying that like, they weren't actually dragging you off against your will as you cried for assistance.

Posted by garhkal mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

You didn't have to go.But due to social pressure most people would.
It's fine if it's not your cup of tea - it's not mine either - but just clarifying that like, they weren't actually dragging you off against your will as you cried for assistance.

That's true.  I know the 2nd year i saw it, one of the players for a large mini game paid to get the klingon's to try and take the DM of the table..  He paid up TWICE what those 2 players did, to have the tables turned on THEM!!..

Posted by vectorlit garhkal

garhkal wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:

You didn't have to go.But due to social pressure most people would.

That's true.  I know the 2nd year i saw it, one of the players for a large mini game paid to get the klingon's to try and take the DM of the table..  He paid up TWICE what those 2 players did, to have the tables turned on THEM!!..

Hahaha that is hilarious.

Posted by brumcg

I have an advice and info Geeklist on BGG:  https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/67905/gen-con-advice-and-lessons-learned.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 3 4 6 8
2 3 4 6 8