MTG @ GenCon
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy

Didn’t see a thread for this, so add your yearly complaints about Past Times here to never be corrected by GenCon, I guess.

Please tell me I’m missing something and they didn’t drop Legacy from the entire convention.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice indyfoodguy

indyfoodguy wrote:...complaints about Past Times here to never be corrected by GenCon, I guess.

Beyond making sure Past Times complies with EO Policies (and other policies that apply to all vendors and attendees) what complaints are you expecting Gen Con to address?

For example, whether Legacy is offered or not has nothing to do with Gen Con - that is entirely up to the EO. You’re not suggesting that Gen Con has any responsibility there, are you? 

Normal
Small
Posted by jimrules27

This was posted on facebook or somewhere here or in an email I think but either way this should help.

http://content.pastimes.net/gen-con-2019/
 

Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
indyfoodguy wrote:...complaints about Past Times here to never be corrected by GenCon, I guess.

For example, whether Legacy is offered or not has nothing to do with Gen Con - that is entirely up to the EO. You’re not suggesting that Gen Con has any responsibility there, are you? 

No, not at all.  That's just an unfortunate misstep by Past Times.

The complaints I'm referring to are the yearly complains by many people about how the events are ran (or lack thereof...).

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:Beyond making sure Past Times complies with EO Policies (and other policies that apply to all vendors and attendees) what complaints are you expecting Gen Con to address?

I'm not sure if Pastimes managed it this year, but it used to be an annual tradition for them to fail to get their events into the event system on time, leading to them not having any MtG events listed when registration goes live.  This happened year after year after year.

Given that MtG events are one of the most voluminous events at Gen Con, and they very rarely sell out during pre-registration, it would be nice if Gen Con found an EO capable of submitting an event listing before the deadline.

I'm not sure what other complaints people may have - the actual events at the con seem to me to be run reasonably OK-ish.

Normal
Small
Posted by buddygamer mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:Beyond making sure Past Times complies with EO Policies (and other policies that apply to all vendors and attendees) what complaints are you expecting Gen Con to address?

...Given that MtG events are one of the most voluminous events at Gen Con, and they very rarely sell out during pre-registration, it would be nice if Gen Con found an EO capable of submitting an event listing before the deadline....

okay, fair enough...but other than making sure an EO follows policy, it's just not Gen Con's job to police and pester EOs to get their listings in on time...whether its MtG, Paizo, True Dungeon, Baldman, Goodman or any other large EO.

If fans are frustrated, they should be all up in the EO's face about it...or vote with their $$ and find something else to do.

EDIT: "buddygamer" in this instance is actually "funny-shapeddice" - accidentally logged in under my SOs account. Sorry gang!

Normal
Small
Posted by armadilloal mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:Beyond making sure Past Times complies with EO Policies (and other policies that apply to all vendors and attendees) what complaints are you expecting Gen Con to address?

I'm not sure if Pastimes managed it this year, but it used to be an annual tradition for them to fail to get their events into the event system on time, leading to them not having any MtG events listed when registration goes live.  This happened year after year after year.Given that MtG events are one of the most voluminous events at Gen Con, and they very rarely sell out during pre-registration, it would be nice if Gen Con found an EO capable of submitting an event listing before the deadline.
I'm not sure what other complaints people may have - the actual events at the con seem to me to be run reasonably OK-ish.
If the Highprogrammer dates are reliable, this year was the third in the last seven that Pastimes *did* get their events in the catalog before registration went live.  It was only by a day or so, but it did happen.

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
indyfoodguy wrote:...complaints about Past Times here to never be corrected by GenCon, I guess.

Beyond making sure Past Times complies with EO Policies (and other policies that apply to all vendors and attendees) what complaints are you expecting Gen Con to address?For example, whether Legacy is offered or not has nothing to do with Gen Con - that is entirely up to the EO. You’re not suggesting that Gen Con has any responsibility there, are you? 
PastTimes do not have an exclusive deal with GenCon.  Anyone, including the OP and all of you in this thread, are welcome to run submit and run Magic: The Gathering Events.

BTW, the same goes for pretty much *any* event that people complain about every year:  Want more Paranoia games?  Run them.  Want better Magic: The Gathering Events?  Run them.

A vast majority of events at GenCon are run by people who care, in a professional manner.  If you find yourself dissatisfied with the way some are run, compete against them.

 

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
... it would be nice if Gen Con found an EO capable of submitting an event listing before the deadline.

Sure, it would be nice, but where should they find them?

Gen Con can only work with the people who show up to run games. If Pastimes are the only people who show up to run MTG, then that's what we get.
 

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

While GenCon does not have a deal with Pastimes, MTG/Wizards does so they are the ones that are setup to run big tourneys/events in the Midwest. That of course does not stop anyone from running smaller events at GenCon. But for sanctioned events it might, I am honestly not sure how that works.

That being said, I am not a fan of Pastimes. Events are usually slow running, have many errors, pairings take forever. At least this year they had events up in time, but they only have one Modern Horizons event which seems pretty stupid.

I am doing one of the qualifier events, listed at like 6 hours, and I am sure it will take more than 8 if i stay for the whole thing. You figure they have been doing this for how long, they should be able to get events submitted and correct by now.

I have a very low bar set for them at this point.

Normal
Small
Posted by armadilloal

Modern Horizons doesn't release until Friday, but the hype machine moves on.  Spoilers for the next set start next Monday, so Modern Horizons will be old hat by the end of next week, let alone two months from now.

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49

So is battlebond, but they have at least 3 of those events.

Normal
Small
Posted by boc_mage san_fan_49

san_fan_49 wrote:
While GenCon does not have a deal with Pastimes, MTG/Wizards does so they are the ones that are setup to run big tourneys/events in the Midwest. That of course does not stop anyone from running smaller events at GenCon. But for sanctioned events it might, I am honestly not sure how that works.
That being said, I am not a fan of Pastimes. Events are usually slow running, have many errors, pairings take forever. At least this year they had events up in time, but they only have one Modern Horizons event which seems pretty stupid.
I am doing one of the qualifier events, listed at like 6 hours, and I am sure it will take more than 8 if i stay for the whole thing. You figure they have been doing this for how long, they should be able to get events submitted and correct by now.
I have a very low bar set for them at this point.
Yep anymore due to normal and numerous mediocre events and how they handle them. I get that's not Gen Con's fault. I just shrug and move on and save my MTG $$$ for events at other cons/ by other TOs. 

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

And if I remember correctly (i'm old so I might be off on this) WotG doe not handle the actual events. They may show up (to events other than GenCon) but they are not involved in the actual operation beyond defining what the sanctioned rules might be.  I think it had to do with whether or not judges were contractors or employees and to solve the problem, they distanced themselves from the issue by not being involved in the organization of event.

Take a look at the amount of effort it takes to run a small tournament at your FLGS, then multiply that by 10,000 and you begin to see the issues.  Scaling up takes a lot more work then most who have never done it can imagine.

Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy traveller

traveller wrote:
And if I remember correctly (i'm old so I might be off on this) WotG doe not handle the actual events. They may show up (to events other than GenCon) but they are not involved in the actual operation beyond defining what the sanctioned rules might be.  I think it had to do with whether or not judges were contractors or employees and to solve the problem, they distanced themselves from the issue by not being involved in the organization of event.
Take a look at the amount of effort it takes to run a small tournament at your FLGS, then multiply that by 10,000 and you begin to see the issues.  Scaling up takes a lot more work then most who have never done it can imagine.

It's certainly a tall task that I want nothing to do with myself.  That being said, some examples of yearly complaints include:

  • Not providing the list of events in a timely manner
  • The price of admission (I personally don't mind the cost given the OK-ish prize support, however, considering the fact that non-paid judges end up running the show in place of Past Times employees, it's a little frustrating)
  • The lack of space for casual play (this is likely a GenCon issue and not a Past Times issue)
  • The lack of organization regarding the space - multiple events are moved without notice (once even DURING game play, for me)
  • The timeliness of the events (though if you've ever played at Past Times or another event hosted by them, you know this is all too regular)
  • The cut-off time for scheduled events (this may be regulated by GenCon, though I am unsure)
  • The lack of constructed un-scheduled events
  • Failure to maintain a coherent prize wall system throughout the entire 4-days
  • Scheduling events that will knowingly not draw interest in favor of events that will.  There were four of us playing Frontier one year.  There is no Legacy this year.  Seriously, why wouldn't they have daily legacy events?!

Anyway, there will be the same complaints this year as in past years.  I personally know multiple folks who have reached out to GenCon with these complains in hopes that there is something that can be done, but nothing ever is.  I really hate it, but not enough to not play.  It's just too convenient to walk to the convention center from home and play a ton of magic.

Normal
Small
Posted by armadilloal

> Seriously, why wouldn't they have daily legacy events?!

I can't think of anything becoming a bigger security risk at a place like GenCon than advertising an event where everyone is required to bring several thousands of dollars worth of cardboard into the same open space at one specific time.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 armadilloal

armadilloal wrote:
> Seriously, why wouldn't they have daily legacy events?!
I can't think of anything becoming a bigger security risk at a place like GenCon than advertising an event where everyone is required to bring several thousands of dollars worth of cardboard into the same open space at one specific time.

By this standard they shouldn't run any constructed magic events other than Pauper.

Legacy decks run $1000-5000.  Modern decks run ~$1000.  Standard decks run $100-$500. Plenty of Commander decks cost over $1000.

They've run both large scale Vintage and Legacy events at Gen Con before, and to date masked highwaymen have not showed up.
 

Normal
Small
Posted by san_fan_49 armadilloal

armadilloal wrote:
> Seriously, why wouldn't they have daily legacy events?!
I can't think of anything becoming a bigger security risk at a place like GenCon than advertising an event where everyone is required to bring several thousands of dollars worth of cardboard into the same open space at one specific time.
 By this logic they should not have legacy evens at any convention or anywhere where more than like 15 people can be at a time.

Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy armadilloal

armadilloal wrote:
> Seriously, why wouldn't they have daily legacy events?!
I can't think of anything becoming a bigger security risk at a place like GenCon than advertising an event where everyone is required to bring several thousands of dollars worth of cardboard into the same open space at one specific time.

Uh, there’s Vintage and Old School events. Try tens of thousands of dollars per deck there. Hell, the average commander deck is probably $2-3k...

Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy

My current standard deck is $1200 lol.

I have a problem with foils...

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3