Official Gen Con specific only Coronavirus thread
( Locked)
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7
Posted by scribe_ineti

Gary Con was cancelled.  https://garycon.com/gary-con-xii-cancelled-due-to-the-increased-risks-of-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR0f4BpL8IwAt_CsMyDir3NUnMmMPKdskjdaNXi5GCjB5kDX1bdGTTk2QrQ

Posted by tarn

WHO'S YER CON 2020 is Cancelled .....

Posted by tinabear81

Pretty much everything in MD is shutting down. Gov. Hogan used the State of Emergency powers to make some pretty big changes. All Md Schools are closed for a minimum of 2 weeks. Telework is mandatory for all state and county employees who can do it...and IT is expanding telework capabilities. Private Companies were basically told to get theirselves together for remote when work because possible next steps include mandatory closures of offices and business centers of more than n (tbd) people. Major federal contractors and federal jobsites are telling employees to be ready to be barred from worksites and to take everything they need to telework every night. Goddard Space Flight Center is doing their 2nd agencywide telework stress test Tuesday after the First on Friday. They’re probably gearing up to be teleworking by Monday. 

Meanwhile...We need toilet paper. I’m going to the store at 7 am. They got resupplied at 6. They’re probably out already. 

Posted by rfsullivan

Yesterday Illinois called for a school shutdown, to commence on Tuesday. I believe the current score for IL is <40 detected cases, mostly concentrated in Chicago... but that *detected* cases, and an undetected case (or a detected case being an asshole) is <5 hours by car from anywhere in the state. Of course, if it works, people will rag on the gov't for having potentially overreacted, and if it doesn't work, people will rag on the gov't for not doing enough. There's no winning there.

Am personally playing "wait and see" at this point. People are taking strong precautions now, so we've got a good chance of riding this thing out in good order.  

Posted by tinabear81

The whole goal in epidemiology is to make it look like there was a big fuss over nothing. Kind of like IT, if you do it right people wonder why they are paying you. 

Given how few people are able to get tested right now the public health assumption is that there are far more positive cases than we think.

Posted by crazlynn tinabear81

tinabear81 wrote:
The whole goal in epidemiology is to make it look like there was a big fuss over nothing. Kind of like IT, if you do it right people wonder why they are paying you. 
Given how few people are able to get tested right now the public health assumption is that there are far more positive cases than we think.
well said.

Posted by crazlynn

Posted by tinabear81 rfsullivan

rfsullivan wrote:
Yesterday Illinois called for a school shutdown, to commence on Tuesday. I believe the current score for IL is <40 detected cases, mostly concentrated in Chicago... but that *detected* cases, and an undetected case (or a detected case being an asshole) is <5 hours by car from anywhere in the state. Of course, if it works, people will rag on the gov't for having potentially overreacted, and if it doesn't work, people will rag on the gov't for not doing enough. There's no winning there.
Am personally playing "wait and see" at this point. People are taking strong precautions now, so we've got a good chance of riding this thing out in good order.  

There’s a awful balance that has to be struck here. We’re shutting things down left right and center in an effort to slow the spread and lower the number of people needing hospitalization and/or intensive care so we don’t overwhelm our system and our health care providers. Basically stretching the pandemic out but buying time to hopefully find better treatment options and understand this illness. But we cannot socially isolate forever, so we also actually need enough “healthy” low mortality risk people to catch it so we can start developing herd immunity, otherwise we’ll just have huge infection resurgence when we end isolation. We may have periods of isolation followed by relatively open gatherings in a cycle. We don’t really know yet. 

Posted by felrendkai

My state's Governor (MN) has declared a state of emergency as of 3/13/2020 due to COVID-19. Also people in my small town are refusing to go to the hospital due to fear of infection. Toilet paper and hand sanitizer is sold out in all locations that sell it in said small town and in nearby cities.
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2020/03/13/gov-walz-declares-state-of-emergency-due-to-covid.html

Posted by mwieleba

Get a grip guys and gals. If GC still goes on and you don't feel right about attending then cancel your tickets and call it a day. If you are hoping the con goes on and doesn't then get a refund or do what I am planning on doing and apply it as system credit for next years con.
Either way there is no need to panic or stress out. GC will let us know what is going to happen before the convention and hopefully in time for people to make an informed decision about their convention options. 
the company I work for will let me cancel my vacation days before I am scheduled off. Check with your HR department and see what their guidelines are.
Hotel reservations like mine (made outside the block) can be canceled mere days before the date with no withdrawal fees.
Plan ahead and don't panic.
Do not bash my post, I pray for all of you suffering from the virus and mourn for those of you suffering loss of loved ones. This is a very tragic time for all of us.

It's time for gamers to band together and support one another in this time of international crisis, not fall apart with bickering or angry attacks on each other.
And please stop plaguing the GC staff, as soon as they can make an informed decision rest assured they will.

Signed a Fellow Gamer

Posted by kevinrg squirecam

That was my thought.  Contractually they probably need the government to ban gatherings rather than just taking the action themselves to back out.  Probably going to be a rolling 45 day window of what events get  cancelled/delayed.   Postponing might be difficult depending on what has booked the convention center, plus then you are getting back into football season in September so, might lose the ability to host events at the stadium.

Cross fingers that this passes/reduces by then.   If it goes on, then individuals need to determine the level of risk they want to put themselves at.   Myself, if it's on I'll be there...

Posted by squirecam kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:That was my thought.  Contractually they probably need the government to ban gatherings rather than just taking the action themselves to back out.  Probably going to be a rolling 45 day window of what events get  cancelled/delayed.   Postponing might be difficult depending on what has booked the convention center, plus then you are getting back into football season in September so, might lose the ability to host events at the stadium.
Cross fingers that this passes/reduces by then.   If it goes on, then individuals need to determine the level of risk they want to put themselves at.   Myself, if it's on I'll be there...
It’s not the level of risk to yourself. It’s the level of risk to others. That’s why the governor has banned such gatherings for now. 

Posted by mikeboozer mwieleba

meesahw wrote:
If you are hoping the con goes on and doesn't then get a refund or do what I am planning on doing and apply it as system credit for next years con.

Thanks for that. Refunding to system credit is very helpful!

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by tinabear81 mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
meesahw wrote:
If you are hoping the con goes on and doesn't then get a refund or do what I am planning on doing and apply it as system credit for next years con.Thanks for that. Refunding to system credit is very helpful!
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

The way I look at it, if GenCon goes on this year because it is safe to hold it, I’ll be there with my dice collection. If not, I’ll have a chunk of system credit ready for 2021

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios tinabear81

tinabear81 wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
meesahw wrote:
If you are hoping the con goes on and doesn't then get a refund or do what I am planning on doing and apply it as system credit for next years con.Thanks for that. Refunding to system credit is very helpful!
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

The way I look at it, if GenCon goes on this year because it is safe to hold it, I’ll be there with my dice collection. If not, I’ll have a chunk of system credit ready for 2021
I'm on board with that as well. If GC isn't held, I'm going to take the week to go camping, maybe rent a cabin on a lake or river.

Posted by urielblue

Well, I'm off till at least May 1st, as all bars/clubs in San Francisco are limited to 50 people/shut down. 7 weeks hanging out inside my apartment, which isn't so bad...I'll be starting up some Twitch or other online games to pass the time. Holding out that things may yet calm down enough to attend Gencon. 

Posted by rayken

Not even looking at July, right now it's looking like things in the near future (say the next 3 months) are going to be very bad unless serious quarantine measures are taken as soon as possible. 

Posted by rayken cmegus

cmegus wrote:
I am Going to GaryCon in 2 weeks. Unless something else changes.
Much smaller than GenCon, but they are still expecting about 2000 people now. Down 20%.
It’s still on, so I guess Wisconsin is letting it go.
i will report after the event.
G

You should have known posting this was silly. Of course it wasn't going to happen. 

Posted by qwaserity

I have two thoughts:

1. I got a "non-refundable" hotel room before CVirus was popular. I'll look up what "non-refundable" means but I think I might be out of luck because I wanted to save a few dollars.

2. Some events have been pushed back (like my Lexington Comic and Toy Convention). I've already set aside my money for the event but if it does happen I'll have several major events month to month to month (Comic  Con, Origins, GenCon). Others might not be so financially savvy and could be hurt by several events getting pushed together in a short period of time. Thoughts? 

Posted by remnant

If you got the room through 3rd party call them and explain the situation when you cancel and they'll talk to the hotel and let you know, if you booked direct I'd call the hotel or their customer service.  I got my two hotel room bookings canceled in STL that were non refundable earlier last week.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7