Official Gen Con specific only Coronavirus thread
( Locked)
43 44 45 47 49 50 51
43 44 45 47 49 50 51
Posted by matthias9 kor

tzimmerman wrote:
I cannot believe that GenCon is still planning to proceed at this time! It is irresponsible of GenCon to continue to host a convention that involves masses of people sitting closely next to each other for long periods of time.
It is time for the organizers to wake up and look at what's happening in the rest of the world and to review the reports of the world's leading doctors and scientific community.  Until there is a vaccine, no one should be congregating with strangers in mass public events like GenCon. This will likely be the state of things until early 2021.  If you are not practicing proper social distancing and taking appropriate precautions until a vaccine is developed -- then you are a part of the problem!
While I have chosen not to attend GenCon this year, I am really looking forward to attending it next year.  I hope GenCon has a good liability insurance policy though, because if they proceed with GenCon 2020 and WHEN people contract the virus from others attending, there will likely be law suits against GenCon from the families of anyone who dies from the disease.
Or perhaps GenCon's plan is just to hand out bleach-infused energy drinks to people attending?
(I'm guessing that with GenCon's reluctance to cancel the event that they did not buy event cancellation insurance?  Perhaps something to consider in the future?)

So you intend to go in 2021?  And what makes you so sure that will be an option for you?

Let's be real.  This is a company that employs almost 20 people year round and has significant contracts with the ICC, Lucas Oil and so on.  This is not like the local Con in your hometown that rents out a hotel ballroom.  You are flippantly talking about turning out the lights on their entire revenue for a whole year.  Like it is you and your buddies cancelling your Friday night game session -- let's meet again next week, right?  If it needs to happen, it needs to happen.  But, if so, they will need to cross their T's and dot their I's on the financial details.

There are a lot of possibilities here:
Maybe Gen Con will go forward within official guidelines
Maybe Gen Con is actively negotiating with ICC, Lucas Oil, the city and hotels about cancelling 2020
Maybe Gen Con is negotiating moving the event to later in the year
Maybe Gen Con has a lawyer working on literally filing for bankruptcy
Maybe Gen Con already intends to cancel but needs, for liability reasons, the city/state to cancel the event - and that has ramifications for whether they owe the ICC, collect insurance etc.

That last possibility has been raised in this thread by numerous people about 2.4x10^3 times -- yet posts like yours just walk right past it like the concept doesn't exist.  

None of the above things are going to be negotiated in public.  They just aren't.  That's not how it works.

And, for all we know, doing it wrong might mean Gen Con is done.  Forever.

At this point, personally, I think the most likely end result is that the convention will yet be cancelled for this year.  But, we'll see.  In the meantime, I think a lot of people need to dial back the sanctimony about how they are the only ones who care about public health.  We all want it done right and the official recommendations are a moving target.

Imagine the stress of working on an event for a year and then having this happen -- add in the possibility of losing your job.  Now tack on people yelling at you to share info that, possibly, for legal reasons you can't yet share.  Let's give these folks a break.  They put on a great convention every year.

Posted by tdb

That page hasn't been updated in two weeks, and really doesn't say anything of substance beyond "wait and see".

As an attendee, I can afford to wait and see.  But what about the exhibitors?  Their goods have to be ordered way in advance in order to be sure that they'll be there in time to sell them at the con.  And I'd wager a lot of them couldn't afford to sit on a large stock of inventory until Gen Con 2021 rolls around.  They'll need to make some decisions soon, based on the information they have at the time.

So, has Gen Con been in touch with their exhibitors, beyond what they've communicated to the world at large?

 

Posted by dballing tdb

tdb wrote:
That page hasn't been updated in two weeks, and really doesn't say anything of substance beyond "wait and see".
As an attendee, I can afford to wait and see.  But what about the exhibitors?  Their goods have to be ordered way in advance in order to be sure that they'll be there in time to sell them at the con.  And I'd wager a lot of them couldn't afford to sit on a large stock of inventory until Gen Con 2021 rolls around.  They'll need to make some decisions soon, based on the information they have at the time.
So, has Gen Con been in touch with their exhibitors, beyond what they've communicated to the world at large?
 

It's possible that exhibitors are being told more information, possibly under an NDA maybe? Who knows.

Posted by kitkumi dballing

dballing wrote:
tinabear81 wrote:
So I just scored a room at the downtown Embassy in the housing portal. Which is awesome, but worrisome at the same time.
Makes sense. I imagine behind the scenes there's exhibitors cancelling and a lot of them get into adjacent hotels. If they released a block of even a half dozen or so rooms it'd be noticeable.
Looking in to it, there is currently space in the the Candlewood Suites (2.8 miles from convention center), the Columbia Club Hotel (5 blocks from convention center), and the Sleep Inn & Suites (2.3 miles from convention center). Since we are rooming with a friend, I hadn't thought to look in to the housing portal till now to see the state of it. I think those are the closest to con I've seen this late in to the game. I'm assuming from people choosing to cancel out now rather than wait for closer to the deadline.

Edit: As an aside, anyone looking for decent rooming, looks like there are some decent options atm lol

Posted by vexrm mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
kd8esu wrote:
Mike, the post above (tzimmerman) is not only adding nothing new , but he is actively being hostile to the company that puts this event together.  Can you take that post down.
Most of us get that there are a plethora of reasons why Gen Con is at the point it is with announcements on anything.  All he is doing is being a troll and a hater in a situation that neither is called for or appreciated.
Believe me, if there was any opportunity to troll, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

In an effort to be fair minded we are allowing every poster to have their one say as long as their not breaking any other rules, emphasis on one.Now tzimmerman has had theirs.
Keeping this thread open has been a chore for sure. Gen Con can take our lumps for whatever people believe or do not believe about us. All that matters is the end result and we are not there yet.
As a forum manager one has to have a thick skin.
My philosophy for forums has always been (Paraphrasing):
There are three truths:
Your truth
My truth
The truth
And they are rarely all the same.
You deserve muffins when this is all over, Mike.

I want to thank you for understanding that the front page link doesn't cover folks seeing updates and is hard to see on mobile. I want to thank you for your calmness and patience. I want to thank you for your update in the thread about the change to the refund email. Those little bits of communication have helped me.

Posted by tinabear81 kitkumi

kitkumi wrote:
dballing wrote:
tinabear81 wrote:
So I just scored a room at the downtown Embassy in the housing portal. Which is awesome, but worrisome at the same time.
Makes sense. I imagine behind the scenes there's exhibitors cancelling and a lot of them get into adjacent hotels. If they released a block of even a half dozen or so rooms it'd be noticeable.
Looking in to it, there is currently space in the the Candlewood Suites (2.8 miles from convention center), the Columbia Club Hotel (5 blocks from convention center), and the Sleep Inn & Suites (2.3 miles from convention center). Since we are rooming with a friend, I hadn't thought to look in to the housing portal till now to see the state of it. I think those are the closest to con I've seen this late in to the game. I'm assuming from people choosing to cancel out now rather than wait for closer to the deadline.Edit: As an aside, anyone looking for decent rooming, looks like there are some decent options atm lol
The Candlewood Suites 2.8 miles away is the one that I gave up. I didn't see the Columbia Club, and didn't get far enough down the alphabetical listings once I saw the Embassy to notice if the Sleep Inn was available. Depending on what happens in my state and how safe I feel traveling at the end of July, the hotel room I just grabbed might be available again.

Posted by gib_rebeg tdb

tdb wrote:
That page hasn't been updated in two weeks, and really doesn't say anything of substance beyond "wait and see".
As an attendee, I can afford to wait and see.  But what about the exhibitors?  Their goods have to be ordered way in advance in order to be sure that they'll be there in time to sell them at the con.  And I'd wager a lot of them couldn't afford to sit on a large stock of inventory until Gen Con 2021 rolls around.  They'll need to make some decisions soon, based on the information they have at the time.
So, has Gen Con been in touch with their exhibitors, beyond what they've communicated to the world at large?
 

Maybe the larger ones, but the rumblings from the one's I've chatted with, they are in the dark as much as we are.

matthias9 laid it out perfectly, bit harsh, but it needed to be said. Right now they can't really tell us anything. There are too many reasons why to list. It would be nice to see something one way or another, but they can't right now.

My guess is, come mid to late June we should start hearing something. Ether they open events which means there is a good chance of Gencon going forward, or that the con is being canceled out right. I doubt it will be postponed till later in the year as the size makes it too difficult.

Posted by grellden vexrm

vexrm wrote:You deserve muffins when this is all over, Mike.

Muffins?
Mike deserves a bakery!

Posted by cutter2020

[This post has been removed]

Posted by jillt

Hello, I wasn't planning on attending this year, but I looked at the merchandise as a way to purchase something to support GenCon in general during these times.  My question is, since it's by OffWorld Designs, does GenCon receive any commission from me buying a woman's t-shirt?  I have attended GenCon twice, in 2010 and in 2017, and I had a blast both times (smiley).  

Posted by donaldbain kor

tzimmerman wroteI hope GenCon has a good liability insurance policy though, because if they proceed with GenCon 2020 and WHEN people contract the virus from others attending, there will likely be law suits against GenCon from the families of anyone who dies from the disease.

 

I haven't seen scenery chewing like that since the days of young Shatner.

"You agree to assume all risks of participating in the Show and release Gen Con from any liability for loss, damage, or injury (including disability or death) to your person and property while attending, participating in, or becoming involved with the Show."

https://www.gencon.com/attend/terms_of_service
 

Posted by donaldbain jillt

jillt wrote:
Hello, I wasn't planning on attending this year, but I looked at the merchandise as a way to purchase something to support GenCon in general during these times.  My question is, since it's by OffWorld Designs, does GenCon receive any commission from me buying a woman's t-shirt?  I have attended GenCon twice, in 2010 and in 2017, and I had a blast both times (smiley).  
It's official Gen Con merchandise so Gen Con (the company) is getting compensated one way or another.

Posted by jillt

Whoops, my bad = Gen Con, not GenCon :)

Mission accomplished, even if I just wear the t-shirt at home while I solo game LOL.  Best wishes Gen Con!

Posted by poteet6 cutter2020

cutter2020 wrote:
Subjecting the public to a MANDATORY untested vaccine is in the words of Robert Kennedy JR a war crime.


I mean, Robert Kennedy Jr. is an anti-vaxxer, so.

I think Gen Con is giving us as much info as they can right now, and I'm sure parsing as much as they can take in in regards to the situation.

If the con happens, I'll be there, if not, I'll roll the badge over to 2021.

online
Posted by roderick

Okay, guys, let's tone down the rhetoric (I'm looking at  you, Cutter2020 and Poteet6). 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC.  

Posted by michellebudd donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
tzimmerman wroteI hope GenCon has a good liability insurance policy though, because if they proceed with GenCon 2020 and WHEN people contract the virus from others attending, there will likely be law suits against GenCon from the families of anyone who dies from the disease. 
I haven't seen scenery chewing like that since the days of young Shatner."You agree to assume all risks of participating in the Show and release Gen Con from any liability for loss, damage, or injury (including disability or death) to your person and property while attending, participating in, or becoming involved with the Show."
https://www.gencon.com/attend/terms_of_service
 

To be fair, disclaimers like that are extremely limited when it comes to liability.  Any hint of negligence negates it.

*Not picking on GenCon here, just commenting that quoting EULAs, TOSs, and disclaimers is usually meaningless.  Many of them don't carry the least amount of legal weight, or are severely limited in their applicability.  My favorite is 'not responsible for items left in vehicles.' That one's just there to discourage people from complaining.

Posted by cutter2020

[This post has been removed]

Posted by wildcat78 mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
kd8esu wrote:
Mike, the post above (tzimmerman) is not only adding nothing new , but he is actively being hostile to the company that puts this event together.  Can you take that post down.
Most of us get that there are a plethora of reasons why Gen Con is at the point it is with announcements on anything.  All he is doing is being a troll and a hater in a situation that neither is called for or appreciated.
Believe me, if there was any opportunity to troll, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

In an effort to be fair minded we are allowing every poster to have their one say as long as their not breaking any other rules, emphasis on one.Now tzimmerman has had theirs.
Keeping this thread open has been a chore for sure. Gen Con can take our lumps for whatever people believe or do not believe about us. All that matters is the end result and we are not there yet.
As a forum manager one has to have a thick skin.
My philosophy for forums has always been (Paraphrasing):
There are three truths:
Your truth
My truth
The truth
And they are rarely all the same.

I suspected Mike was a Vorlon....

 

Posted by hendelbolaf

I hate it when I come to the party too late and all the really risqué comments have been deleted... ;)

Posted by quarex

All of the deleted comments were the same thing: the full lyrics to Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'," and were only deleted due to copyright violation.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
43 44 45 47 49 50 51
43 44 45 47 49 50 51