Covid Question
Posted by geezer

I am wondering if any attendees got Covid within 2 weeks of Gen Con.  I would love it if no one responds to this, but I am curious.  For the 1st time in 7 years I was unable to come to Gen Con because of a sinus infection (tested negative twice), but did not feel up to it.  If no one responds then maybe we could go back to a full up Gen Con next August. 

Posted by notavailableeither

I was fine.  Before the con I scheduled 2 tests for when I returned - one the day after returning (7 days after getting on the outbound plane) and one 7 days after returning (last possible exposure on the return flight) and both were negative.

The main thing was everyone acted responsibly - I never saw masks off outside of designated eating areas.  I also brought latex gloves since game pieces get touched by lots of strangers.

I too am hoping for a full GenCon next year - already have the days off approved at work.  I wouldn’t mind one of the changes sticking around - more space between tables in halls A-E.  I know they can’t be as far apart, but in the past they’ve been so crammed in it was hard for people to sit back to back.

Posted by helenbb

We have not heard of anyone who got sick at the con. We brought Binax Now home tests and tested ourselves at the end of the show (and also a couple of days later, after we returned home) and it was all negative.

Posted by lore seeker

Negative at-home test here too, and after Origins for that matter.

Posted by rong090

[This post has been removed]

Posted by helenbb

Gen Con will be requiring both vaccinations and masks for the 2022 show, as per an email they sent to event organizers. This is disheartening for those of us who want a return to normal, especially given the success of the 2021 con, where vaccinations were not required. To require MORE than 2021 feels like a step backward, rather than a step forward.

Posted by general lopez helenbb

helenbb wrote:
Gen Con will be requiring both vaccinations and masks for the 2022 show, as per an email they sent to event organizers. This is disheartening for those of us who want a return to normal, especially given the success of the 2021 con, where vaccinations were not required. To require MORE than 2021 feels like a step backward, rather than a step forward.

Exactly ridiculous policy! Especially like you said, this years 2021 was at a peak time for covid in Indy and everything was fine. I just attended a huge event at the convention center at the beginning of the month, no mask or vaccination policies and everything has been fine. Downton Indy was as normal as possible. If they wanted to truly make it safe they should have you provide a negative covid test within 24hrs of the con. Vaccinated people can just as easily spread the virus as unvaccinated.    

Posted by traveller general lopez

general lopez wrote:
helenbb wrote:

Exactly ridiculous policy! Especially like you said, this years 2021 was at a peak time for covid in Indy and everything was fine. I just attended a huge event at the convention center at the beginning of the month, no mask or vaccination policies and everything has been fine. Downton Indy was as normal as possible. If they wanted to truly make it safe they should have you provide a negative covid test within 24hrs of the con. Vaccinated people can just as easily spread the virus as unvaccinated.    

Number of positive cases are going up, number of people hospitalized is going up, number of people dying is going up.  Clearly not everyone is following mitigation practices.  Yes, Gencon was able to put on an event with little to no impact, but past performance is no guarantee of future results. 

What EVERYONE needs to do to get the pandemic under control:

1.  Stay home if you are sick.
2.  Get Vaccinated/Booster.
3.  Wear a mask.
4.  Wash your hands, often. 

Posted by grognard262 helenbb

helenbb wrote:Gen Con will be requiring both vaccinations and masks for the 2022 show, as per an email they sent to event organizers. This is disheartening for those of us who want a return to normal, especially given the success of the 2021 con, where vaccinations were not required. To require MORE than 2021 feels like a step backward, rather than a step forward.

A better policy would be vaccines required, masks optional.  Look at this graphic from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.  Per 100,000 people, the fully vaccinated have 1/10 the number of hospitalizations and 1/15 the number of deaths.  The purpose of wearing masks at this point is mostly to protect the unvaccinated from themselves.  They would be safer at home.

Posted by squirecam helenbb

helenbb wrote:
If this turns out to be the case then Gencon is probably doing so in order to increase attendance. Having unvaxxed would require social distance measures and lesser attendance.

You can always start out with the toughest policy and relax restrictions later. It's much more difficult to impose a vax requirement over the summer if things get worse.

They are a business at the end of the day. And they are going to do what is best for that business.

Posted by forar

Masking up helps. Vaccines are better. From everything I've read, masking while vaccinated is even better than either alone.

When we're talking about tens of thousands of attendees (and the number of people they will interact with coming to the event, while in Indianapolis, and going home, then interacting in their communities), we're talking easily millions of people. That alone is an excellent reason that even aiming to implement measures that reduce risk of transmission a few percentage points are worth enacting.

"Then they should just cancel it entirely!" some will retort, feeling very clever.

Perhaps so, but I'm not expecting Gencon to throw themselves on their sword and end the event (possibly forever, depending on the financial impact of doing so).

I worked Gencon 2021. I setup for two days, ran demos for 4, and tore down on Sunday evening (and helped store stuff Monday morning), all in a mask. Believe me, I am not cheering the idea of doing that in 2022 in early August heat. But if it's part of what helps keep people safer, then so be it.

I also believe that managing expectations is important. Setting the bar there 7-8 months out is entirely sensible. We'll likely be a month or two out from the event before the real final choices are made anyways.

Posted by wildcat78

What does “fully vaccinated” even mean?   Both shots within 3 months?  6 months?  A year?  Boosters?  How many? Odds are at least 2 more major variants will hit between now and august.  Will the original vax even be effective against those or will we need specific variant boosters?  If so how many?   

Just follow local city / county / state regulations and don’t rework what’s already been done.   Trust that health officials will do their job well - don’t try to do it for them or instead of them.

Posted by brooks

I suspect they're just laying out the worst-case scenario. Let's be honest, barring time travel, there's no way Gen Con or anyone else can possibly have the remotest clue what things are going to look like next August. I suspect they're just getting everyone used to the idea that masks and vaccines might be required so if they are required it won't come as a shock. I remember last year when they went from "if you are vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask" to "everyone has to wear a mask" and quite a few people freaked out. 

From Gen Con's email:

As the situation around us changes through the year, our policies will be updated appropriately, so please keep current with news about the show and be prepared to be flexible with your own plans, as well. (Bold from the original)

Posted by lehane

I am just curious about how the vaccine will be enforced. Is there a security check at the entrances? Pictures of a vaccine card on a person's phone good enough or is the original required? 

Mostly wanting to know for the logistics of coming and going from the ICC between events or events in other buildings. 

We are still eight months away from the con, but I would like some idea by the time to plan events. Most of the time I pack in as many events as I can, but that often leaving me rushing from one event to the next, If a more relaxed approach is needed I would like to know by event registration. 

Posted by brooks lehane

lehane wrote:
I am just curious about how the vaccine will be enforced. Is there a security check at the entrances? Pictures of a vaccine card on a person's phone good enough or is the original required? 
Mostly wanting to know for the logistics of coming and going from the ICC between events or events in other buildings. 
We are still eight months away from the con, but I would like some idea by the time to plan events. Most of the time I pack in as many events as I can, but that often leaving me rushing from one event to the next, If a more relaxed approach is needed I would like to know by event registration. 

I want to say that last year... actually I suppose it was this year... when it was "if you're vaccinated no masks needed" you showed proof of vaccination and received a wristband good for the convention. You could show an actual CDC vaccine card or a picture of it or a digital image of it in order to get a wristband. I could be remembering incorrectly and I'm sure someone will correct me if that's the case, but I'm pretty sure that's what the plan was for the 2021 convention. 

Posted by squirecam brooks

brooks wrote:
lehane wrote:

I want to say that last year... actually I suppose it was this year... when it was "if you're vaccinated no masks needed" you showed proof of vaccination and received a wristband good for the convention. You could show an actual CDC vaccine card or a picture of it or a digital image of it in order to get a wristband. I could be remembering incorrectly and I'm sure someone will correct me if that's the case, but I'm pretty sure that's what the plan was for the 2021 convention.  
They were going to require the actual card. No phone picture or electronic database sent in advance. I asked at the time and that was their plan.

Posted by brooks squirecam

squirecam wrote:
brooks wrote:
lehane wrote:

They were going to require the actual card. No phone picture or electronic database sent in advance. I asked at the time and that was their plan.

No doubt things changed a lot for the 2021 convention, and this may or may not have changed as well during the chaos, but on July 29th Mike Boozer said

"Posted by mikeboozer 4 months ago... Photo and ID is fine."

Posted by njseahawksfan

Well, if it's anything like PAX Unplugged, you will need to show either your physical card or have an app (PAX had an approved app) which you will need to get a wristband in order to get into the show.  After the vax check, then there was the regular will call/entrance to the con.  PAX also had specific staff walking around making sure people were masked ("Mask Enforcers").  I suspect Gen Con will take a similar approach.  Although PAX Unplugged is much smaller than Gen Con, it still ran smoothly and I didn't see one person maskless inside the Expo Hall during any of the 3 days I was running demos.  I took my COVID test 3 days after the con and was fine, as were all of my friends that attended.  It's amazing what can be done when people work together instead of being selfish.

Posted by helenbb njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
Well, if it's anything like PAX Unplugged, you will need to show either your physical card or have an app (PAX had an approved app) which you will need to get a wristband in order to get into the show.  After the vax check, then there was the regular will call/entrance to the con.  PAX also had specific staff walking around making sure people were masked ("Mask Enforcers").  I suspect Gen Con will take a similar approach.  Although PAX Unplugged is much smaller than Gen Con, it still ran smoothly and I didn't see one person maskless inside the Expo Hall during any of the 3 days I was running demos.  I took my COVID test 3 days after the con and was fine, as were all of my friends that attended.  It's amazing what can be done when people work together instead of being selfish.

To be fair, Gen Con 2021 did not require vaccinations, had many people sitting close togetehr paying games, and being close in the Exhibit Hall, and we had no reports of anyone afterward getting COVID. So same results with lesser measures.

Posted by kevinrg

At this point, worrying about what will happen 8 months from now isn't even going to register with me.  I will say that if there is absolutely no improvement in events, vendor participation and it is just a rehash of 2021, but with more rules/precautions/limitations, then I'll sit it out.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3