Badges sold out?
Normal
Small
Posted by jclapham

Does this include walk-in badges or just the pre-registration lot? I have multiple people who are wanting to go and I'd hate to disappoint anyone...

Normal
Small
Posted by cataluna

There are no on-site badge sales this year.

If you want a badge, you must order it online.
4-Days and Saturday are already sold out.
Sunday has been reported to be approaching that point as well.

Normal
Small
Posted by cataluna

Oh, oh! But you may be able to secure 4-Day badges thru volunteering.
You would have to look around and see which companies are still looking for help if you're interested in that.

Normal
Small
Posted by jclapham

When was this announced? That's very different than it's ever been in the last few years, I imagine if they weren't planning on selling badges on-site they would have made a big announcement about it.

Normal
Small
Posted by cataluna

It was announced when the 4-Day badges sold out, via email and press release.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager jclapham

jclapham wrote:
When was this announced? That's very different than it's ever been in the last few years, I imagine if they weren't planning on selling badges on-site they would have made a big announcement about it.
There have been big announcements about it. Every Gen Con email for the last couple of weeks has stated badges are selling out & no on site sales. Plus its been mentioned here in the forums a lot too. The main front page news section has all of the bulletin emails sent out.

Normal
Small
Posted by jclapham

This is insane, I have seven people who were expecting to go that were going to buy their badges on site, none of us received an email about not being able to purchase them there. We've been three times, this is the first year this has happened.

Guess we're not going. Great customer service.

Normal
Small
Posted by jclapham

What options do I have to try and secure a four day badge?

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager jclapham

jclapham wrote:
What options do I have to try and secure a four day badge?
Find companies that need people to work & offer 4 day badges. Or buy your badge back in January like the majority of people do? If it was that important to secure a badge why wait this long? It's the 50th Gen Con, its going to be packed.

Normal
Small
Posted by loon

Look for companies that want volunteers to staff their booths. The ENnies might still have space. I hear Mayfair has spots as well. Not sure about others.

Normal
Small
Posted by jclapham andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
jclapham wrote:
What options do I have to try and secure a four day badge?
Find companies that need people to work & offer 4 day badges. Or buy your badge back in January like the majority of people do? If it was that important to secure a badge why wait this long? It's the 50th Gen Con, its going to be packed.
It's like everyone has said, this is completely unprecedented. I didn't expect them to sell out. I appreciate the advice, but that doesn't really do me much good now, now does it?

Normal
Small
Posted by jclapham loon

loon wrote:
Look for companies that want volunteers to staff their booths. The ENnies might still have space. I hear Mayfair has spots as well. Not sure about others.
I'll try. Thanks. I have no idea why I haven't received any notices from Gencon since last year. I've gotten other messages but I'm just now finding out about this.

Normal
Small
Posted by glory jclapham

jclapham wrote:
This is insane, I have seven people who were expecting to go that were going to buy their badges on site, none of us received an email about not being able to purchase them there. We've been three times, this is the first year this has happened.
Guess we're not going. Great customer service.
I know this doesn't help now, but Gen Con did send out emails about the sell out. Many, many emails.

Normal
Small
Posted by jclapham glory

glory wrote:
jclapham wrote:
This is insane, I have seven people who were expecting to go that were going to buy their badges on site, none of us received an email about not being able to purchase them there. We've been three times, this is the first year this has happened.
Guess we're not going. Great customer service.
I know this doesn't help now, but Gen Con did send out emails about the sell out. Many, many emails.
  Yeah, but I didn't get any of those. I've even opened a ticket with customer service to see why that is. The last message I got from them was three months ago when I got my exhibitor's badge.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz jclapham

jclapham wrote:
This is insane, I have seven people who were expecting to go that were going to buy their badges on site, none of us received an email about not being able to purchase them there. We've been three times, this is the first year this has happened.
Guess we're not going. Great customer service.

I don't know what you want.  There was a limited number of badges because there's a limited amount of physical space to accommodate human beings.  If a popular movie sells out because there is a limited number of seats in the theater, what do you expect the theater management to do? 

You could have bought a badge ahead of time.  Why didn't you do that?  They've been on sale for 6 months.  I bought mine relatively recently, in mid-May.  Even just buying it 3 weeks ago would suffice.  I'm sorry you can't go, but poor planning on your part is not the fault of GenCon.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

If this fellow is upset now, imagine the ruckus for people who don't find out about the sell out until they're on site.....

Normal
Small
Posted by jclapham mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
jclapham wrote:
This is insane, I have seven people who were expecting to go that were going to buy their badges on site, none of us received an email about not being able to purchase them there. We've been three times, this is the first year this has happened.
Guess we're not going. Great customer service.

I don't know what you want.  There was a limited number of badges because there's a limited amount of physical space to accommodate human beings.  If a popular movie sells out because there is a limited number of seats in the theater, what do you expect the theater management to do? You could have bought a badge ahead of time.  Why didn't you do that?  They've been on sale for 6 months.  I bought mine relatively recently, in mid-May.  Even just buying it 3 weeks ago would suffice.  I'm sorry you can't go, but poor planning on your part is not the fault of GenCon.
I'm not getting into a fight over this. Yes, I know I made a mistake, but it's frustrating that I never received any kind of warning from GenCon that this was a possibility. I can even prove I didn't get any mail from GenCon about the issue. It makes it doubly worse that you and andrewj feel the need to lecture me on my mistake.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Sounds like you had an email issue, either a change in it, or the emails were being sent to your spam folder.  I know i have been getting MULTIPLE emails, sometimes two in a single day..

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

I think the thing is that it has never been an issue before. I mean. This is the 50th year and it has NEVER been an issue before so I for one, don't blame people for not subscribing to the email (although it sounds like this guy was) or not realizing.

It isn't or wasn't, like San Deigo Comic Con where badges always sell out. Gen Con has been more like that baseball stadium that just always had tickets and then, though the stadium over the years kept gradually filling up, finally actually /filled/ and fans who've gone for years are like bwah? But they /never/ sell out! 

I mean, they've never sold out even /at/ the con let alone during pre registration.

I do think volunteering is the way to go at this point. Especially since a lot of places DO have cancellations. Things happen. Funny, for once I have NOT seen the slew of emails from Catalyst requesting all bodies though. Usually by this time they are trying to fill slots still. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz jclapham

jclapham wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
jclapham wrote:
This is insane, I have seven people who were expecting to go that were going to buy their badges on site, none of us received an email about not being able to purchase them there. We've been three times, this is the first year this has happened.
Guess we're not going. Great customer service.

I don't know what you want.  There was a limited number of badges because there's a limited amount of physical space to accommodate human beings.  If a popular movie sells out because there is a limited number of seats in the theater, what do you expect the theater management to do? You could have bought a badge ahead of time.  Why didn't you do that?  They've been on sale for 6 months.  I bought mine relatively recently, in mid-May.  Even just buying it 3 weeks ago would suffice.  I'm sorry you can't go, but poor planning on your part is not the fault of GenCon.
I'm not getting into a fight over this. Yes, I know I made a mistake, but it's frustrating that I never received any kind of warning from GenCon that this was a possibility. I can even prove I didn't get any mail from GenCon about the issue. It makes it doubly worse that you and andrewj feel the need to lecture me on my mistake.
The problem is that this happened unexpectedly and they wouldn't have been able to warn anyone about it.  Even if you were getting every E-Mail they sent out, by the time they sent notice of the badges selling out, it would already be too late.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3