Who has their backup hotels booked?
Posted by ematuskey

Be honest--I already know I'm not the only one who's put a no-risk reservation down for a downtown hotel, "just in case" the con moves ahead but I don't do well in the lottery.  ;) 

Posted by komoridarkclaw

I admit nothing! >.> <.<

Posted by ematuskey komoridarkclaw

komoridarkclaw wrote:I admit nothing! >.> <.<

CONFESS! 

Posted by sketchsong

I will admit I did so as well (did last year too and that came in handy when my hotel sign up was at night some like 12-16 hours after it opened, although then the whole world crumbling thing happened). 

A little bummed I wasn't able to get the Marriot or Westin with a no-risk reservation like I did last couple of times, whenever I looked it up this year it was payment due up front and now they don't even have any reservations, but for the obscene amount I am not paying up front with no refund options. 

I did get one at the Le Meridien although I would have preferred one of the connected ones. If anyone else does need one and can afford the sky-high prices they still have some king rooms at this time that you can cancel up to two days before the con for full refund.

Posted by ematuskey sketchsong

sketchsong wrote:
I will admit I did so as well (did last year too and that came in handy when my hotel sign up was at night some like 12-16 hours after it opened, although then the whole world crumbling thing happened). 
A little bummed I wasn't able to get the Marriot or Westin with a no-risk reservation like I did last couple of times, whenever I looked it up this year it was payment due up front and now they don't even have any reservations, but for the obscene amount I am not paying up front with no refund options. 
I did get one at the Le Meridien although I would have preferred one of the connected ones. If anyone else does need one and can afford the sky-high prices they still have some king rooms at this time that you can cancel up to two days before the con for full refund.

Yeah, no way I'm making a no-cancellation/pay up front reservation, this year especially, heh.  I've got a 2Q room at one of the fountain hotels, where my friend and I wound up staying in 2019 after an in-block room became available.  If there's an event this year I expect there will be plenty of churn that will let me get an in-block room sooner or later, but I like to have the backup just in case. 

Posted by jimmythesaint sketchsong

sketchsong wrote:
I did get one at the Le Meridien although I would have preferred one of the connected ones. 

Le Meridien is connected, through the mall. We stayed there in 2019 - very nice hotel, if a bit small.

Posted by fethbone

I had mine booked last September!

Posted by jmattox

What hotels did the room blocking go to?

Posted by ematuskey jmattox

jmattox wrote:What hotels did the room blocking go to?

This is the list from last year--probably a similar list this year (or the year after if 2021 doesn't work out): https://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap

Posted by del_grande

I always wondered why there are no hotels south of Indianapolis in the block, especially as there are only four in the "east campus." I assumed it had something to do with the old shuttle routes, but there haven't been shuttles since, what, 2015?

Posted by technoir

Im in a downtown hotel already, in case we do get it 

Posted by kidlidar

Us too.

Posted by quarex

Like Fethbone I made my usual September reservation for the next year; I gotta say, at the time, it felt absolutely absurd and I could not even believe I was allowing myself to go through with it, but I am definitely optimistic that one way or another I will be checking in for that reservation in August!  I feel like even if the convention somehow is purely virtual that there will be other groups of (hopefully) fully-vaccinated people down for some gaming in our shared universe.

Posted by ar6474

I made a back up reservation back in Sept of 2020. But at this point I am going to cancel it since I know that we are not going to attend the Con when there are so many people that do not care enough about others to follow the CDC guidelines to help limit the spread. 

Posted by ematuskey ar6474

ar6474 wrote:
I made a back up reservation back in Sept of 2020. But at this point I am going to cancel it since I know that we are not going to attend the Con when there are so many people that do not care enough about others to follow the CDC guidelines to help limit the spread. 

Understandable!  Assuming I'm vaccinated by then I'll probably be willing to take the chance, even knowing other people won't be as stringent with masks and spacing as I will be.  There will still be risk, but it will be at an acceptable level for me personally by that point (plus I'm being optimistic and assuming numbers will be way down by July). 

Posted by davidschneider

I haven't been able to find an (affordable) downtown hotel, but got a great suite with two Queen Beds and a pull-out sofa (no pre-charge & cancelation up to the day before) and only a 8 minute drive away.  A high rated hotel.  I always research the heck out of the hotel I'm going to stay at!  I don't mind a short drive.

Posted by ematuskey

Well, I just cancelled my reservation--I wasn't able to move it because all the downtown Hilton hotels are showing as booked for the new dates.  :p  I'll keep an eye on it--I'm really curious though about what an attendance cap will do to the demand for a downtown room this year! 

Posted by smarty_213

So... I just looked at rates for the updated weekend.  Most hotels are unavailable, but Residence Inn Downtown-Canal is showing single bed rates for about $140 a night... but it's non-refundable.  Really good deal in my opinion, even if you're getting a hotel in block (whenever that happens).  Residence Inn is about 1/2 mile away from the ICC, and I've considered staying there in years past.  Does anyone have experience with that particular hotel?

Posted by knuteski

No but I've seen it and it looks like a normal Residence Inn...and it's by the canal which I think gives it a little something.

$140/night will be way cheaper than in-block based on 2020s rates before the cancellation.  The cheapest in-block room then was the Fairfield at $198/nt and that was before taxes (as well?).  But non-cancellable is a tough sell.

Posted by smarty_213

The price difference vs. in-block is what's so appealing to me... but if you're committed to going (as I am), then no-cancellation might not be so dangerous.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post