Housing Portal date announced - Super Bowl Sunday?!
1
1
Posted by del_grande

For those of you who don't get the GenCon emails, or didn't scroll down far enough, it says that the housing portal opens on 2/13 - Super Bowl Sunday.

Then again, I assume the portal will open at noon Eastern, and the game starts at 6:30. I wonder if there will be any downtown rooms left by the time the game starts.

Posted by fethbone

If previous (non-2021) years are any indication, the downtown rooms all get snapped up in a couple hours, but if you check the housing portal in the months leading up to Gencon after the initial rush, rooms do pop up periodically.

Last year anyone who wanted a DT hotel in or out of the housing block could get one. So it really depends on how many people feel like buying badges with plans to attend at this time.

Posted by kevinrg

Wouldn't surprise me if downtown hotel availability is there past 24 hours again.   I know a number of people that are on the fence just because they have no idea what vendors will be there, events and just how it will even look in 2022.

Posted by timjs21

After attending GenCon for the past ten plus years, I must say that last year was quite disappointing.  Based on the ridiculous masking policy they've announced for this year, I'm sure attendance will once again be at an all-time low.  You should be able to get downtown rooms with no problem - of course you'll be paying full price as if there was no pandemic going on, getting little service and finding that they don't even come to clean your room daily unless you call to request it.  Have fun!

Posted by quarex

I, too, spend a lot of time posting on forums for events I have no interest in attending

online
Posted by mikeboozer kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if downtown hotel availability is there past 24 hours again.   I know a number of people that are on the fence just because they have no idea what vendors will be there, events and just how it will even look in 2022.

Possible, but we advise that you don't count on that. Unlike most years there is a significant amount of people that already have a rolled over badge for this show. 

Mike

Posted by del_grande

Speaking of the housing portal, how close to the portal opening does it usually get before the list of hotels (and rates) is released?

Posted by fethbone del_grande

del_grande wrote:
Speaking of the housing portal, how close to the portal opening does it usually get before the list of hotels (and rates) is released?
I am actually kind of surprised they have not released this yet (I have not seen it at least) come to think of it, as it is less than three weeks before the portal opens.

https://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap is the URL for the list of 2021 hotels and rates. The rates have been slowly increasing over the years, so I would predict at least a $5-10/night rate increase over 2021. Someone also mentioned on another thread there is a new Hilton property downtown, so it is yet to be seen if they will participate. 

Sorry I was not able to actually answer your question though...

Posted by austicke fethbone

fethbone wrote:
I am actually kind of surprised they have not released this yet (I have not seen it at least) come to think of it, as it is less than three weeks before the portal opens.

For VIGs, the portal opens in five days.
 

Posted by fethbone austicke

austicke wrote:
fethbone wrote:
I am actually kind of surprised they have not released this yet (I have not seen it at least) come to think of it, as it is less than three weeks before the portal opens.

For VIGs, the portal opens in five days.
 
I'm not fancy, so I am ignorant of the goings-on of VIGs. :) 

But if I was a VIG I guess I'd really want to know in that case.

Posted by fethbone quarex

quarex wrote:
I, too, spend a lot of time posting on forums for events I have no interest in attending
I have interest in attending, just not under the current policies...I keep checking back for any of-the-minute information hoping the policy changes.

Also just like to participate and read the occasional drama.

Posted by del_grande fethbone

fethbone wrote:
del_grande wrote:
Speaking of the housing portal, how close to the portal opening does it usually get before the list of hotels (and rates) is released?
I am actually kind of surprised they have not released this yet (I have not seen it at least) come to think of it, as it is less than three weeks before the portal opens.https://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap is the URL for the list of 2021 hotels and rates. The rates have been slowly increasing over the years, so I would predict at least a $5-10/night rate increase over 2021. Someone also mentioned on another thread there is a new Hilton property downtown, so it is yet to be seen if they will participate. 
Sorry I was not able to actually answer your question though...

Don't worry about it. I noticed that one of the hotels is my backup hotel, where I already have a reservation...for about 60% of the listed rate ($90/night including taxes - no, it's not downtown).

online
Posted by mikeboozer

The hotel list will be coming out soon!

Mike

Posted by tacomuerte fethbone

fethbone wrote:
austicke wrote:
fethbone wrote:
I am actually kind of surprised they have not released this yet (I have not seen it at least) come to think of it, as it is less than three weeks before the portal opens.

For VIGs, the portal opens in five days.
I'm not fancy, so I am ignorant of the goings-on of VIGs. :) But if I was a VIG I guess I'd really want to know in that case.
As a participant in the program, I very much do really want to know! I was about to ask when I saw the post that it's coming out soon.

Posted by squirecam fethbone

 
Someone also mentioned on another thread there is a new Hilton property downtown, so it is yet to be seen if they will participate. 
They should be as the dates are blacked out now just like the other Hiltons are, unless you can get around the system due to your loyalty points.

Posted by donaldbain

2022 hotel info is up:

https://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap?fbclid=IwAR0YfDoxYD5e3CUhEhj9mSJVuCYKuGquCPuXqiW8KeKa6ylhrE2lLY0lVDE

Posted by kevinrg

Just me or does it seem thin for hotels outside of downtown?  This year, if I attend, probably will have to be outside of downtown to save money and doesn't seem like there are many there.  Then again, I haven't paid attention to hotels outside of downtown since 2018...

Posted by fethbone kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
Just me or does it seem thin for hotels outside of downtown?  This year, if I attend, probably will have to be outside of downtown to save money and doesn't seem like there are many there.  Then again, I haven't paid attention to hotels outside of downtown since 2018...
Yes, you are right. I have my guesses why, but yeah, not a single hotel even listed for south Indy.

I would definitely look into booking outside the block. Just a quick search of the Big 3 (Marriott, Hilton, and IHG), there are still a number of hotels available outside of downtown for <$150/night Thu-Sun of Gencon. The Candlewood Suites by the airport is $125/night- I stayed there 2015-2018 and it was fine (nice to have a full-size fridge). The only reason I don't stay there anymore is bc circumstances allowed me to migrate downtown.

Posted by armadilloal timjs21

Yeah, I should probably look at the my usual backup hotels again.

Posted by kevinrg fethbone

fethbone wrote:
=inheritYes, you are right. I have my guesses why, but yeah, not a single hotel even listed for south Indy.I would definitely look into booking outside the block. Just a quick search of the Big 3 (Marriott, Hilton, and IHG), there are still a number of hotels available outside of downtown for <$150/night Thu-Sun of Gencon. The Candlewood Suites by the airport is $125/night- I stayed there 2015-2018 and it was fine (nice to have a full-size fridge). The only reason I don't stay there anymore is bc circumstances allowed me to migrate downtown.

For like 10 years I had stayed to the NW.  Was about a 10 mile drive, but was almost always about 1/2 the price of downtown.

Only thing I can assume for hotels is maybe there is a belief that downtown will cover most of what the expected attendance will be.  I'd assume there is some level of guarantee for room rentals by Gencon for hotels which is why they get in the block in the 1st place.  Still reduced attendance = less hotels needed so...  only thing I got as to why.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1
1