Beer / Bottle swap.
2 4 5
2 4 5
Posted by arcus

I'm from the Philly area and one of the things I enjoy about GenCon is traveling to Indy and trying beers that haven't made it to my area yet, but will probably be here in a year or two; I had Goose Island and Fat Tire in Indy at least a year or two before it started popping up in the Philly area.  I honestly wouldn't know what to bring because I don't know how far some of the beers brewed in my area have gotten across the US; It also doesn't help that I do not like many of the beers brewed in the area because I think they are too hoppy so I would be making blind recommendations.  If anyone has any recommendations on beers they would like to try from Yards, Victory, Troegs, etc...I would be more than happy to pick some up and bring them.

Posted by infectionagenda

Arcus, Manayunk is in your area and I don't think they have distro where I am. I'd be down for any of their stuff - specifically their Flanders or Gose. What kind of brews are you looking for?

Posted by boc_mage

You're not the only one Arcus in the less than fond of hops crowd. I'm out of Ohio Valley and always looking for a good porter or american stout. Fortunately i've got Great Lakes in my proverbial back yard and some other nice smaller operations that are starting to pickup here in the region. 

Central location would be a plus, I volunteer during con and have my volunteer training late Wed afternoon/early evening. Before or after that is the traditional trade and token swap meet so my time is restricted. That said if we pick a place and time i'll figure some way to either be there or at least swing by.

Posted by arcus boc_mage

infectionagenda wrote:
Arcus, Manayunk is in your area and I don't think they have distro where I am. I'd be down for any of their stuff - specifically their Flanders or Gose. What kind of brews are you looking for?
I am a big fan of the citrus/ floral notes and crispness of many of the American spring/summer style beers and some European white/ lite wheat beers.  I generally avoid beers and styles that tend to be hop heavy. I know I can find single bottles from Manayunk so I will see what I can get you.
boc_mage wrote:
You're not the only one Arcus in the less than fond of hops crowd. I'm out of Ohio Valley and always looking for a good porter or american stout. Fortunately i've got Great Lakes in my proverbial back yard and some other nice smaller operations that are starting to pickup here in the region. 
Central location would be a plus, I volunteer during con and have my volunteer training late Wed afternoon/early evening. Before or after that is the traditional trade and token swap meet so my time is restricted. That said if we pick a place and time i'll figure some way to either be there or at least swing by.

I've had Great Lakes before so that has definitely made it all the way to the East coast. Not in my traditional wheelhouse, but not bad; I find the ones I had to be better for Fall/ Winter. I'm volunteering for the first time this year and they didn't mention any training to me when I just got my schedule. I'm only volunteering for 16 hours so maybe that is why; line control n badge checking might not require a whole lot of training I guess. Lol

Posted by brotherbock boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:

I mentioned this before, but do you eastern US guys have access to Columbus (ohio) Brewing? Can't get it in Iowa, but they have a great aromatic and not bitter IPA that I'd like to get my hands on. I've got access to a wide variety from local very good brewers around me in trade. Stouts, porters, smoked ales, etc. 

Posted by boc_mage

Brotherbock, depends on the day, i'm up east of Cleveland a bit. Some of the Columbus brewing makes it this far if i hunt a little for it. I volunteer for True Dungeon and participate in the annual token swap/trade session on Wed evening. A little more difficult as this is first year TD is in the stadium and nobody really knows timings, exactly where we're going to end up at for trades and such. 

Arcus, yeah aside from Dortmunder most of their stuff is Fall/Winter but then again i drink the heavy stuff year round. Do like a good shandy when it does eventually warm up here in Ohio.

Posted by brotherbock boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:
Brotherbock, depends on the day, i'm up east of Cleveland a bit. Some of the Columbus brewing makes it this far if i hunt a little for it. I volunteer for True Dungeon and participate in the annual token swap/trade session on Wed evening. A little more difficult as this is first year TD is in the stadium and nobody really knows timings, exactly where we're going to end up at for trades and such. 
Arcus, yeah aside from Dortmunder most of their stuff is Fall/Winter but then again i drink the heavy stuff year round. Do like a good shandy when it does eventually warm up here in Ohio.

Excellent. My Wed is a bit busy too, but I can make a few minutes to swing by if I know the time. Depending on events, maybe even more time to stay and chat. I'm trying to talk my group into a Wed night D&D session to kick off the con, so if this happens earlier Wed, say four or five or so, all the better. 

If you can find some of that Columbus IPA, I can def bring something to trade, sixer for sixer even for that. Other stuff I can go bottle for bottle as interesting brews pop up :) 

Posted by boc_mage

Remind/message me when we get closer till exactly what it is and i'll take a look see what I can find. Otherwise i'll tend to bring up some stuff from Thirsty Dog brewing company (great black lager) or something else suitably local. I wish i could committ on time but until I know my volunteer schedule i just don't know. I do plan on being to Indy relatively early as I have to check in for my group at the hotel this year. 

Posted by arcus boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:

I definitely like a good shandy; I think the Leinenkugel and Travelers shandy's are very a good line of beers.  However, I am not a fan of the sudden craze with Grapefruit flavored beers.  I actually avoid Lagunitas beers because I think they have that flavor profile from the hops they use.

Posted by boc_mage arcus

arcus wrote:
boc_mage wrote:

I definitely like a good shandy; I think the Leinenkugel and Travelers shandy's are very a good line of beers.  However, I am not a fan of the sudden craze with Grapefruit flavored beers.  I actually avoid Lagunitas beers because I think they have that flavor profile from the hops they use.

Don't disagree a bit there as i'm not a grapefruit fan at all. Suck on a lemon sure, lemon beer/wine even better during the summer. Just keep the grape away from me beer. Lagunitas did a decent pilsner if i recall that was pretty good. 

Posted by brotherbock arcus

arcus wrote:

It goes along with the IPA craze that's been going on for several years. Grapefruit is a bitter flavor profile that goes along with bitter IPA flavors. Funnily, I like a grapefruit Shandy myself, but I'm not super big on the really bitter/hoppy IPAs. (I'll drink em, but they aren't my first choice. Less bitter IPAs are fine. But I'll drink most anything. Just keep the sour beers away from me. :( Blech)  

Brotherbock, I suppose that leaves more IIPAs and sours for me :)

We'll have to discuss what time works for everyone when the event gets closer. I think our CT group will be there by 6-7pm and stuff goes on outside the convention center fairly late if I remember correctly. 

Posted by arcus

Other Philadelphia area breweries: Philadelphia Brewing Co, Susquehanna, and Lancaster to name a few.
Some East Coast breweries: Dog Fish Head, Southern Tier, Riverhorse, Ommegang, Flying Fish, & Long Trial to name a few.

I'm looking to bring a six pack or two so if anyone has any special requests from these breweries or others on my side of the US, please let me know and I'll toss a bottle in for you if I can find one.

@infectionagenda - Ever have a Flemish Sour Ale?  Delicious!

@arcus yes several - Monks Cafe, duchesse de Bourgogne, ommegang's Zuur... Great stuff. Sun King brews a sour called Velour Soccer Mom that's outstanding. Looking forward to picking more up during gencon. 

Posted by arcus infectionagenda

infectionagenda wrote:
@arcus yes several - Monks Cafe, duchesse de Bourgogne, ommegang's Zuur... Great stuff. Sun King brews a sour called Velour Soccer Mom that's outstanding. Looking forward to picking more up during gencon. 

I was going to mention Monk's too, but didn't think anyone would know about it since it is a Philly bar. Lol

Little History: Monk's Tavern in Philly is considered the first bar in the US to ever have Chimay on tap and boasted a selection of over 200 bottles of beer decades before the beer craze hit the US. If you wanted rare beers, it was the place to go. Due to the connections the owner developed traveling Europe for beers, he was able to bring Chimay on tap and have a brewery make their signature Flemish Sour Ale. If you like that sort of beer, it is definitely one to have.

I don't think we have Sun King in my area so if u see a bottle of the beer you mentioned, please grab me one.

Posted by jaysirignano

Sun King is right down the road from the convention. Don't think the distro goes outside of Indy but I could be wrong.

i see a lot of people interested in stouts so I will bring some local ones. Was also planning on bringing some stuff from treehouse but their stuff tends to be hoppy juice bombs. Hope there are also some hop heads interested in trading. 

Looking forward to meeting and trading with you all!!

Posted by boc_mage jaysirignano

jaysirignano wrote:
Sun King is right down the road from the convention. Don't think the distro goes outside of Indy but I could be wrong.
i see a lot of people interested in stouts so I will bring some local ones. Was also planning on bringing some stuff from treehouse but their stuff tends to be hoppy juice bombs. Hope there are also some hop heads interested in trading. 

Stouts to fortify oneself before the madness of gencon works for me. I've never really tried much of Sun King. At con i tend to do my drinking mostly of the three wise men stuff on tap at Scotties and the whatever Granite city has on tap during con. 

Posted by jaysirignano boc_mage

boc_mage wrote:
jaysirignano wrote:

Stouts to fortify oneself before the madness of gencon works for me. I've never really tried much of Sun King. At con i tend to do my drinking mostly of the three wise men stuff on tap at Scotties and the whatever Granite city has on tap during con. 
We went to Scottie's last year and wasn't too impressed. Tried the goblin ale which was good but the food was meh. I'll have to check out the other breweries. We are doing the bus tour this year. Excited to try more local flavors.

Posted by boc_mage

Most people tend to have a love/hate with Scotties, either you love the place or go meh and never venture back. Fortunately lots of good places to eat and drink around the convention center. Once con starts proper i don't really leave the dungeon so i tend to fall into predictable habits.

Posted by arcus

My buddy and I found Scotties about 6 years ago during the Con and really thought we found a hidden gem as they actively welcomed attendees and catered some of their activities toward us, like dressing up and playing movies instead of just sports. About four years ago, I think a new manager took over and he is and avid gamer. He really got the place to go the whole nine yards for Gencon. Unfortunately, I think it had a negative effect as the quality of the service took a hard hit during the Con.  I'm not saying they do not try, but I don't think they encounter this volume of people regularly and often look lost, at least behind the bar anyway. The food has been meh for quite a few years now as well. I worked in the industry for a number of years, six as a bartender, so I can be more understanding than maybe the average customer, but it also means it is easier to recognize some of the things that is causing the dip in quality. 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2 4 5
2 4 5