Official Gen Con specific only Coronavirus thread
( Locked)
8 9 10 12 14 15 16
8 9 10 12 14 15 16
Posted by tarn

All conventions will have to cancel for 2020. It is the only way to be safe.

Posted by brotherbock squirecam

squirecam wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
squirecam wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
squirecam wrote:The annual dealer hall stampede is not a good idea generally. Even worse to be packed in like sardines with a virus going around. There needs to be a clear line into the hall that utilizes social distancing instead of the bum rush method of the past.
I cannot see how that would work.  Trying to enforce a six foot gap between people standing in line?  A single file line for the dealer hall?  It would wrap the building, maybe twice.  Should we try a lottery for dealer hall entry times?  Make it a ticketed event with start times?  I can't see anything other the usual scrum actually working.
A lottery or Ticketed entry times could be an option. Spreading out vendors another. But something does need to be done. It cannot simply be business as usual. 

Why can't it be business as usual, in late July? It's certainly possible that, by then, if the con is still on, things are such that it shouldn't be business as usual. It's also possible that things are such that business as usual is fine. If social distancing still needs to be a thing in July, then the Con will not happen. That's the point of social distancing--it's not a way to keep 6 feet between people going to an unnecessary vacation convention. It's a way to keep people from going to unnecessary vacation conventions at all. 6 foot rules are for grocery shopping and hospitals.If the con happens, it will only be because social distancing is no longer necessary. Ergo, the hall can run without social distancing.
I'm not predicting it will run--just pointing out the necessary connection there. The con happening will only come with a removal of the need for social distancing. If SD is still in place, no Con. And if yes Con, then no SD.

And someone wins the prize for rational thinking!
I think not. Gencon must plan for dealing with the virus aftermath. If you read the Indy article I link to above, it’s clear that the virus will not be gone in July. So there must be social distancing of some sort. And part of that plan is identifying possible recurrence of the virus, which would require temperature checks and other methods.
If people are of the “hope” that everything will be as it was before, and no restrictions will be necessary, then Gencon might as well just cancel the convention. Because it would be insane to cram 60,000 in a convention area with no thought to peoples actual welfare.
Please be realistic. There is no miracle vaccine coming before August. The virus is going to be around. So either steps are taken, some of which will require distancing or enforced lower maximums of people allowed in the dealer hall at one time, or the virus is going to have a wonderful opportunity to spread.
Wishing or hoping things were different is not a plan. Gencon should be planning NOW for how to run a safe convention in our new reality. Or cancel it if Gencon can’t or won’t take such steps.

That is not at all what I said. None of what you're saying I said is what I said.

Posted by brotherbock tarn

tarn wrote:
All conventions will have to cancel for 2020. It is the only way to be safe.

Great. Let's call the WHO and the CDC and tell them that you've figured it out. It'll take a lot off of their plates.

Posted by brotherbock tarn

tarn wrote:
The Nation wide Quarantine has just been extended to May...

If you're talking about the USA, there is no nationwide quarantine. There are social distancing guidelines. Very different things.

Posted by buffythecatslayer squirecam

And someone wins the prize for rational thinking!
I think not. Gencon must plan for dealing with the virus aftermath. If you read the Indy article I link to above, it’s clear that the virus will not be gone in July. So there must be social distancing of some sort. And part of that plan is identifying possible recurrence of the virus, which would require temperature checks and other methods.
If people are of the “hope” that everything will be as it was before, and no restrictions will be necessary, then Gencon might as well just cancel the convention. Because it would be insane to cram 60,000 in a convention area with no thought to peoples actual welfare.
Please be realistic. There is no miracle vaccine coming before August. The virus is going to be around. So either steps are taken, some of which will require distancing or enforced lower maximums of people allowed in the dealer hall at one time, or the virus is going to have a wonderful opportunity to spread.
Wishing or hoping things were different is not a plan. Gencon should be planning NOW for how to run a safe convention in our new reality. Or cancel it if Gencon can’t or won’t take such steps.

You cannot "social distance" tens of thousands of people in the ICC & LOS.  You cannot reduce distance in the vendor hall, move vendors to other locations, force vendors to have demos in other locations, or "regulate" attendance or time in the hall.  Most of the "solutions" proposed here have bordered on the ridiculous.  Having crews of people running around to sanitize everything?  Temperature checks, on people coming in from the blazing Indy summer?  Really?  

Either the virus has died down enough to allow full regular activity to resume by early-mid July (when people, especially vendors) will have to make a go/no-go decision, and all restrictions have been lifted, or the convention will need to be cancelled, either by GC itself, or by government directive.

Most of the discussion here is people shouting into the wind, and getting distorted echos back.  Repeating the same uninformed opinion 5 times does not suddenly make it more valid.  No one knows exactly how this disease is going to progress, not even the supposed experts.  Any speculation here, by people who are not even amateurs in epidemiology or microbiology, on what is going to occur 3-4 months from now is utterly pointless.  Quoting from some sort of "official" source means diddly, as the picture is changing faster than the officials are keeping up.

As far as those concerned about Gen Con LLC., the company itself, taking a major hit, at least that's something beyond the echo chamber.  However, GC is not run by idiots; they have to have some sort of blanket cancellation insurance.  Forget the completely unexpected Coronavirus.  What about perfectly normal events like fires, earthquakes, tornadoes?  No convention 1/10 its size would not insure itself against forced cancellation.

As to any refund policies, I'm sure Gen Con has probably started working them out, but they're not going to announce anything until the convention is actually cancelled, so really, stop asking about them.  They're certainly not going to discuss them in this forum until they are official.

About the only useful things in this thread have been actual news about cancellations/postponements, information from GC itself, and the occasional bits of humor (Bubble Boy was a nice touch).

So really, CTFO and stop this endless hamster wheel.  Whatever is going to happen, will happen, and the 200+ posts in this thread will have absolutely no bearing on it.

Posted by squirecam brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
tarn wrote:

If you're talking about the USA, there is no nationwide quarantine. There are social distancing guidelines. Very different things.
Yes. And the social distancing is to reduce the stress on the hospital critical care capacity. Not to eliminate the virus by April 30.

The virus IS going to be still circulating in August. That doesn’t mean that a convention cannot happen IF changes are made to make it safer. That is limiting capacity and fever checks.

If no steps at all are taken, then there is no chance of an August convention. Because it wouldn’t be remotely safe. Sorry to be the realistic one. But Gencon needs to figure out how to restrict numbers in the hall, and have fever checks. The virus isn’t going to be magically gone people.

Posted by mikeboozer

Okay, it's clear that a few of you are just going back and forth with the same arguments and not offering anything new to the discussion.
It's why I closed the last thread and it's the same people doing it on this one. If it continues I'll just issue forum bans as opposed to locking the thread. 

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager 
Gen Con LLC

Posted by brotherbock squirecam

squirecam wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
tarn wrote:

Yes. And the social distancing is to reduce the stress on the hospital critical care capacity. Not to eliminate the virus by April 30.The virus IS going to be still circulating in August. That doesn’t mean that a convention cannot happen IF changes are made to make it safer. That is limiting capacity and fever checks.
If no steps at all are taken, then there is no chance of an August convention. Because it wouldn’t be remotely safe. Sorry to be the realistic one. But Gencon needs to figure out how to restrict numbers in the hall, and have fever checks. The virus isn’t going to be magically gone people.

I'm going to just clarify, and then stop. Sorry for my part in spinning things up. But I want to apologize and clarify.

Squire, please stop reading things into what I am typing. I have mentioned nothing about eliminating the virus, not by any time frame. I have even indicated that it might never go away entirely, and might be a seasonal virus heading forwards. I'll say this one last time, and then I'm going to drop the issue. And I'm only saying it because I like you and I want to make sure we understand each other and there aren't hard feelings.

My position is this--the time to resume 'normal activities' is not when there is absolutely no trace of COVID-19 anywhere in the world. There are still cases of bubonic plague in the US every year, and we live normal lives despite that. And again, one very real possibility is that COVID-19 never goes away, and is seasonal, like the flu is. If that's the case, should all conventions from now till eternity have distancing and temperature checks? :)

What are the possibilities? At risk of just repeating: 1) The pandemic has *eased* (not 'been eliminated') to the point that normal things like conventions can happen. If so, then there is no need for social distancing. Or, 2) the pandemic has not eased to that point, in which case conventions should not happen. Here's the new part: Could there be a middle ground, where conventions are okay but where we should space everyone 6 feet apart and check temps at the door? No. The need for the latter two would indicate that conventions are not okay. That is my position. You are free to disagree, but I want to make sure you understand my point. I am not, and have never been, claiming that COVID will 'be eliminated' by Gen Con. My position is nuanced, and lumping it in with other positions doesn't work. The threshold for 'resume activities', whenever that comes, will *not* be when there is no more COVID-19 anywhere. (But it won't be Easter, that's for **** sure.)

So, anyway, that's all I'm going to say. Not in a spiteful "must have the last word" sort of way, but to do what Mike says we should do and stop going round and round (I admit I can do that sometimes, so sorry everyone). But I don't want hard feelings, so I just wanted to clarify. And apologize if I came across harshly to anyone, I can do that sometimes too. I have made my points, and I will grit my teeth and allow people to say things I think are wrong on the internet. If I have to. But it may involve heavy drinking at times to cope.

Sorry everyone.

Posted by traveller mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Okay, it's clear that a few of you are just going back and forth with the same arguments and not offering anything new to the discussion.
It's why I closed the last thread and it's the same people doing it on this one. If it continues I'll just issue forum bans as opposed to locking the thread. 
Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager 
Gen Con LLC

Posted by traveller buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:

About the only useful things in this thread have been actual news about cancellations/postponements, information from GC itself, and the occasional bits of humor (Bubble Boy was a nice touch).

There was a second image but it didn't show.

[img]https://nebula.wsimg.com/226b3ab9d42086eb1eb144ce89ff064d?AccessKeyId=BD074F472039A8909E01&disposition=0&alloworigin=1[/img]

Posted by grognard262

Check out the current projections:  https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

If these prove to be at all accurate, COVID-19 will be in the rear view mirror by June, and there will be no reason to cancel GenCon.

Posted by squirecam brotherbock

[This post has been removed]

Posted by buffythecatslayer grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:Check out the current projections:  https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
If these prove to be at all accurate, COVID-19 will be in the rear view mirror by June, and there will be no reason to cancel GenCon.

Posted by quarex

Oooh, you can do forum bans now!?  I hope that explains why some of the extreme vitriol from the forums in the past seems to be gone now.

Posted by cmegus quarex

quarex wrote:
Oooh, you can do forum bans now!?  I hope that explains why some of the extreme vitriol from the forums in the past seems to be gone now.

No, not really / it’s because it is all corona all the time. Damn I need a beer...

Not sure any other post has moved in a month.

The fact that no one has cancelled any downtown hotel rooms though (just checked) seems to indicate a wait and see attitude as opposed to a flat out too worried to go no matter what.

What more needs to be posted? We covered everything at this point.

Someone please start a new post :)

G

Posted by rayken grognard262

[This post has been removed]

Posted by buffythecatslayer

The fact that no one has cancelled any downtown hotel rooms though (just checked) seems to indicate a wait and see attitude as opposed to a flat out too worried to go no matter what.

Until mid-June, the price to cancel is the same, so it would be foolish to cancel rooms now.  If GC does officially cancel by then, cancellations might be free, so you’re no worse off holding the rooms until then, even if you’re not planning to go.

Posted by traveller rayken

rayken wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:

Again - it doesn't matter if they cancel it or not. Whether it goes on or not, they will need to implement new preventative measures. We will just be coming off the tail end of the virus as soon as things are getting better and things are just starting back up. You cannot just go back to "business as usual" without a single change.Fauci has already predicted a resurgence in the fall.
I know all of you at this point are annoyed by my presence and the only concern is doing GenCon as usual, so I'll make my peace and leave. Business as usual is not the way this convention can be run this year. A lot of different procedures are going to have to happen in order for GenCon to be a "coronavirus free" convention. 
There will be no "rear-view mirror" this year as thousands of people are predicted to die in the coming months. And it's just kind of absurd to think nothing will be different in the world as soon as July rolls around. 
Anyways, I'll leave for good now as I'm repeating myself and saying things no one wants to hear. 
Take it easy.

We all get that things will be different coming out fo this pandemic.  Yes there will be changes but at this moment, we don't know what they will be for Gencon the convention.

Will people be washing their hands more, yes, but this isn't a Gencon thing.  Will businesses have hand sanitizers at entrances and other locations, probably yes and again not a Gencon thing.  Beyond that, who knows what other changes will happen (if you know for sure what other changes are coming, let me know so i can make some investments).

Posted by raidkillsbugsded traveller

traveller wrote:
rayken wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:

Again - it doesn't matter if they cancel it or not. Whether it goes on or not, they will need to implement new preventative measures. We will just be coming off the tail end of the virus as soon as things are getting better and things are just starting back up. You cannot just go back to "business as usual" without a single change.Fauci has already predicted a resurgence in the fall.
I know all of you at this point are annoyed by my presence and the only concern is doing GenCon as usual, so I'll make my peace and leave. Business as usual is not the way this convention can be run this year. A lot of different procedures are going to have to happen in order for GenCon to be a "coronavirus free" convention. 
There will be no "rear-view mirror" this year as thousands of people are predicted to die in the coming months. And it's just kind of absurd to think nothing will be different in the world as soon as July rolls around. 
Anyways, I'll leave for good now as I'm repeating myself and saying things no one wants to hear. 
Take it easy.

We all get that things will be different coming out fo this pandemic.  Yes there will be changes but at this moment, we don't know what they will be for Gencon the convention.Will people be washing their hands more, yes, but this isn't a Gencon thing.  Will businesses have hand sanitizers at entrances and other locations, probably yes and again not a Gencon thing.  Beyond that, who knows what other changes will happen (if you know for sure what other changes are coming, let me know so i can make some investments).

You will not see Gen Con branching out into adding a Gen Con Cruise during the “off season”.

Do not invest in the cruise ship industry...

Posted by mpagnotta310 grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:

That graphic has a little caveat: it assumes that the current social distancing and preventative measures in place are maintained for as long as needed. If those are stopped too early, then those projections go out the window and then who knows.

We should never forget how boundless human stupidity can be and that there might be a jumping of the gun in regards to social distancing and preventative measures.

I told a friend that if GenCon happens, I will reimburse him for the cost of his badge. This is a bet I'm hoping I lose. But given how much is unknown at this time about the progression of the disease, I'm going to be skeptical.

There's two ways to go about this. The first is to assume that GenCon will be cancelled and that we'll just have to wait until next year. If things work out and it does happen, it'll be a pleasant surprise. The other way is to assume that GenCon will happen and to plan like normal. If it doesn't happen, it'll be a bitter disappointment. Given the choice, I'm going to assume the former.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
8 9 10 12 14 15 16
8 9 10 12 14 15 16