( Locked)
10 11 12 14 16 17 18
10 11 12 14 16 17 18
Posted by mikeboozer brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
irontk wrote:
Just wanted to mention here, during the press conference yesterday, Dr Fauci was asked about summer, and about going back to normal; people looking forward to baseball games, and concerts would that stuff happen. 
He answered that he expects at the end of that curve(around June 1st) we would ease social guidelines and go back to a more normal way of life while preparing for the fall. Again, this is ever changing, ever evolving but it definitely gives me hope for this years con which is almost 2 months from that 'end of curve' area 

Fauci is exactly the sort of person who we should be listening to, thanks for that. Still good to keep the 'cautious' in cautiously optimistic, but Fauci knows his stuff.I also have a social distancing question for Derek: can I change all of my games' event location requests to "Union Station Ballroom", regardless of the event size? :)

Please take this question to the Event Organizers & GMs threads.

:) Sorry, was just a joke.I do have a relevant question for the thread, however--is GC considering hand sanitizer/wipes stations for the Con? I'm educatedly guessing that wouldn't be cheap, but even a sanitizer station at the entrance to each of the big halls, hotels, etc would be helpful even after social distancing isn't needed. But of course GC doesn't have unlimited funds, and I don't know what the costs of that would be. Or would that be something the hotels and con center would be providing?

Our messaging has not changed:

We are closely following the current outbreak of COVID-19. We know that our attendees and community are as concerned as we are about the virus and the uncertainty that comes with it, and we are monitoring the situation and recommended health guidelines from Indiana State officials as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) closely and preparing for any contingencies. At this time, we do not anticipate any changes to the normal operation of Gen Con 2020. If that changes, we will notify our community as soon as possible as everyone will be a partner in our effort to mitigate the impacts that will be experienced by our partners, our community, and Gen Con itself.

"and preparing for any contingencies."

Posted by mikeboozer

When we have something to update or tell you, be assured that we will!

Posted by brotherbock

Sorry, I didn't mean to bug you all on the general issues and 'is it happening'--I'm clearly down with waiting. Just wondered about that specific issue, and whether that would be a GC thing or a facility thing. More an academic interest. No problem, have a good one.

Posted by lore seeker technoir

irontk wrote:
Just wanted to mention here, during the press conference yesterday, Dr Fauci was asked about summer, and about going back to normal; people looking forward to baseball games, and concerts would that stuff happen. 
He answered that he expects at the end of that curve(around June 1st) we would ease social guidelines and go back to a more normal way of life while preparing for the fall. Again, this is ever changing, ever evolving but it definitely gives me hope for this years con which is almost 2 months from that 'end of curve' area 

That's very heartening to hear, especially coming from Dr. Fauci.

Posted by mvotruba

@mikeboozer:  Hey there, I was wondering...for those of us that have already purchased a badge for GC2020, is there/will there be a system or procedure to get credit and apply it for GC2021?

I know we're sill a few months out, but my gaming group completely backed out already (we'd be coming from CA).  I'm hoping that given the situation that we wouldn't incur a "processing fee."  We don't want a refund, just to push back our attendance for next year.  I get why GC is in a "hold & wait" position.  It totally make sense business-wise.  However, it's hard for us to plan (or change our plan) last minute.  I'm hoping that since this is a situation not of our doing that GC would allow us to get system credit without the fee.

In the mean time, I hope everyone is staying healthy & safe.  Cheers,

Posted by tinabear81

sanitizer...everyone just bring a bottle of everclear or the 180 proof grain alcohol of your choice in your suitcase and a little spray bottle. Then spray your hands and everything you touch, and before long the entire convention center will be a giant alcohol wipe?

Posted by traveller brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to bug you all on the general issues and 'is it happening'--I'm clearly down with waiting. Just wondered about that specific issue, and whether that would be a GC thing or a facility thing. More an academic interest. No problem, have a good one.

I would expect that to be a facility thing, and based on my office building (i work for an essential company) hand sanitizers will become the new norm.  

Posted by mikeboozer brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:

It's no problem. I just can't say anything about it until we are ready to release new information. 

Posted by mikeboozer mvotruba

voice_of_reason wrote:
@mikeboozer:  Hey there, I was wondering...for those of us that have already purchased a badge for GC2020, is there/will there be a system or procedure to get credit and apply it for GC2021?
I know we're sill a few months out, but my gaming group completely backed out already (we'd be coming from CA).  I'm hoping that given the situation that we wouldn't incur a "processing fee."  We don't want a refund, just to push back our attendance for next year.  I get why GC is in a "hold & wait" position.  It totally make sense business-wise.  However, it's hard for us to plan (or change our plan) last minute.  I'm hoping that since this is a situation not of our doing that GC would allow us to get system credit without the fee.

I encourage all of your to wait for us we are "preparing for any contingencies." as stated in our statement. There is nothing else I can say but...

At this time, we do not anticipate any changes to the normal operation of Gen Con 2020. If that changes, we will notify our community as soon as possible as everyone will be a partner in our effort to mitigate the impacts that will be experienced by our partners, our community, and Gen Con itself.

Posted by mvotruba mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
voice_of_reason wrote:

I encourage all of your to wait for us we are "preparing for any contingencies." as stated in our statement. There is nothing else I can say but...At this time, we do not anticipate any changes to the normal operation of Gen Con 2020. If that changes, we will notify our community as soon as possible as everyone will be a partner in our effort to mitigate the impacts that will be experienced by our partners, our community, and Gen Con itself.
Hey there Mike.  I get it.   I really do.  I imagine there are a bunch of contracts and agreements that would be breeched unless the cards fall a certain way...act of God vs. an entity cancelling.

Just so you/GC can appreciate my side: I'm an educator. Our school recently went virtual (which was a challenge in itself), but now we are trying to figure out virtual summer school and other ways to help those students that are falling behind to catch up.  My principal is putting a call out for teachers.  Do I pass on additional duties (Gen Con still happening), or do I sign up (Gen Con postponed)?  I can hold for a bit, but not (like Origins) until 2 weeks prior to the event.

I'm NOT asking for a yes/no on Gen Con happening.  I just want to arrange a pass on this year because of MY special circumstances.  I'm only asking if Gen Con can work with me and those that may be in similar situations.  If you can please express my concerns with the powers that be and let us know when you can; I thank you. 

Posted by grellden mvotruba

voice_of_reason wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
voice_of_reason wrote:

I encourage all of your to wait for us we are "preparing for any contingencies." as stated in our statement. There is nothing else I can say but...At this time, we do not anticipate any changes to the normal operation of Gen Con 2020. If that changes, we will notify our community as soon as possible as everyone will be a partner in our effort to mitigate the impacts that will be experienced by our partners, our community, and Gen Con itself.
Hey there Mike.  I get it.   I really do.  I imagine there are a bunch of contracts and agreements that would be breeched unless the cards fall a certain way...act of God vs. an entity cancelling.Just so you/GC can appreciate my side: I'm an educator. Our school recently went virtual (which was a challenge in itself), but now we are trying to figure out virtual summer school and other ways to help those students that are falling behind to catch up.  My principal is putting a call out for teachers.  Do I pass on additional duties (Gen Con still happening), or do I sign up (Gen Con postponed)?  I can hold for a bit, but not (like Origins) until 2 weeks prior to the event.
I'm NOT asking for a yes/no on Gen Con happening.  I just want to arrange a pass on this year because of MY special circumstances.  I'm only asking if Gen Con can work with me and those that may be in similar situations.  If you can please express my concerns with the powers that be and let us know when you can; I thank you. 
if you have special circumstances that apply to you that are beyond a general virus discussion, I strongly urge you to email customer service and ask directly.

The forums are a place for open and general discussion. They are really not a place where you need to discuss personal or events unique to you.

Mike is a reasonable guy, Gen Con is a good company, email direct is a pretty good option.

Posted by matthias9

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but you can already refund your badge for system credit usable next year as long as you do so before June 14th (less a $10 fee).  Considering a lot of events have a straight 'no refunds' policy, I find this to be pretty reasonable. 

This kind of beyond-my-control stuff happens to people every year -- death in the family, illness, loss of job, etc.  It's unfortunate, but sometimes the real world gets in our way.

Posted by njseahawksfan

I've worked with a publisher that was bought by Asmodee for several years running (doing demos of games at GenCon) and yesterday Asmodee sent me survey asking about how I was doing and would I be interested in still running demos if GenCon happens.  It seems clear that at least Asmodee is entertaining the idea that even if GenCon happens, they might not be able to staff their booths due to their employees concerns over COVID-19.  Just throwing that out there ....

Posted by matthias9 njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
I've worked with a publisher that was bought by Asmodee for several years running (doing demos of games at GenCon) and yesterday Asmodee sent me survey asking about how I was doing and would I be interested in still running demos if GenCon happens.  It seems clear that at least Asmodee is entertaining the idea that even if GenCon happens, they might not be able to staff their booths due to their employees concerns over COVID-19.  Just throwing that out there ....

I thought you were going to end that with "It seems clear that at least Asmodee is still planning for it going on".  But, I suppose you could look at it glass half empty, if you insist.

Posted by rfsullivan matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:

I thought you were going to end that with "It seems clear that at least Asmodee is still planning for it going on".  But, I suppose you could look at it glass half empty, if you insist.

I have to imagine that this whole business is going to have an impact, even if it doesn't scotch the whole deal. As others have noted, a lot of manufacturing for the trade is based in China, a number of exhibitors have staff who are in risky categories or who will refuse to attend a mass gathering on principle, and some businesses aren't going to survive the shelter-in-place orders. We probably won't know the full scope of things until July, though I wouldn't be shocked if there were some notable absences in and around the hall.

On the more "half full" side of things, I could also see a number of operations continuing on with reasonable adaptation. The Mechwarrior Grinder, for instance, already makes heavy use of laminated sheets and non-porous minis that could be sanitized in quick order between users. In theory, GMs running the same game more than once (or who just don't want to dispose of papers between games on principle) could laminate handouts, allowing wipe-downs after handling. 

Posted by traveller rfsullivan

rfsullivan wrote:
matthias9 wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:

I have to imagine that this whole business is going to have an impact, even if it doesn't scotch the whole deal. As others have noted, a lot of manufacturing for the trade is based in China, a number of exhibitors have staff who are in risky categories or who will refuse to attend a mass gathering on principle, and some businesses aren't going to survive the shelter-in-place orders. We probably won't know the full scope of things until July, though I wouldn't be shocked if there were some notable absences in and around the hall.On the more "half full" side of things, I could also see a number of operations continuing on with reasonable adaptation. The Mechwarrior Grinder, for instance, already makes heavy use of laminated sheets and non-porous minis that could be sanitized in quick order between users. In theory, GMs running the same game more than once (or who just don't want to dispose of papers between games on principle) could laminate handouts, allowing wipe-downs after handling. 
Honestly for the things with minis, i would suggest bringing a UVC box unit to clean the minis.  20-30 seconds and they will be good to go.

Posted by dsurdu mikeboozer

[This post has been removed]

Posted by dsurdu

Posted by cmegus dsurdu

Posted by tinabear81

Cmegus... Dsurdu is being inflammatory with his questioning. Mike will handle it. But we've already been warned pretty hard about bringing politics into this thread when we were discussing the national and international political response to the pandemic instead of keeping it GenCon specific. Perhaps a full-throated defense of a politician isn't really the best idea in this thread?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
10 11 12 14 16 17 18
10 11 12 14 16 17 18