Official Gen Con specific only Coronavirus thread
( Locked)
13 14 15 17 19 20 21
13 14 15 17 19 20 21
Posted by lore seeker dragongears

dragongears wrote:
jedijawa74 wrote:
I could see going to Indy still. Without GenCon. 

OMG. Thank you! I needed a good laugh this morning.

Yeah, I love being in Indy for Gen Con, but from what I've seen it's less a "city that never sleeps" and more a "city that goes to bed at 9 p.m.," even during Gen Con.

Posted by ar6474 pandamoni

pandamoni wrote:
Sadly, my group's plans all involved non-refundable cash that is now temporarily refundable until April 30.  That means if I don't hear in April, and we don't bow out, then my group will potentially lose a lot of money (primarily on empty pre-paid hotel rooms).  So that's our deadline, thanks to Marriott's cancellation policy.  I assume it 99.9% likely we will have to cancel as a result, even if the Con goes on.  More hotel space for the rest of you!
Marriott announced they are giving hotel reservations A 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before your reservation https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-24144

Posted by ryric

There are things to do in Indy - it has museums, a zoo, etc. - but I imagine if Gen Con is not happening those will all still be closed as well.

Posted by cmegus

Not only hotels, but airlines have also now waved their change fees and offering refunds as well for flights, so booking flights to say, Indy, is no longer rolling the dice:

Example from American Airlines:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/coronavirus-updates.jsp

Travel flexibility

To provide you with more flexibility and control we have waived change fees for certain dates of travel.If you:

• Bought your ticket before April 7, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020, you can rebook without change fees. Includes all AAdvantage® award tickets.
  • Buy a new trip March 1 – May 31, 2020, for all future travel, you can also change it a later date without change fees. 

Plus, if you have a ticket that is expiring between March 1 and September 30, 2020, the value of your unused ticket can be used for travel through December 31, 2021.

G

Posted by hahnarama mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
hahnarama wrote:
jedijawa74 wrote:
Well. Origins just moved to Oct 7-11. How will that change our Conscape?
Now you've gone and done it... Prepare to feel the wrath of Customer Service ;)

News about a Con is on point. Wrath averted. All's well on the thread...for now.
Hey the week is not over yet I still have plenty of time to rock the boat :)

Posted by hahnarama jedijawa74

jedijawa74 wrote:
I could see going to Indy still. Without GenCon. 
GC or not come on down, I'm local and I'm sure we could keep it under the Mayor's proposed 250 rule. More of a Euro gamer but I normally  play at least 1 RPG at Gen Con 

Posted by cmegus

Just got the heartbreaking email about True Dungeon...

”...  We are busy applying for State and Federal Grant/Loan programs that are designed to help small businesses.  Unfortunately, as a "non-essential" business in Illinois, we were required to close our offices several weeks ago.  With this came the difficult decision on what to do with staff at TD HQ.  It was not an easy decision, but one we felt would be best for the company long-term, so we made the heartbreaking call to layoff our entire staff...”

Hopefully this turns around - truly one of the things I look forward to at Gen Con.

G

Posted by msteele583

This is a from the True Dungeon email also, the good news is they will be ready to go when conventions start taking place again:

First of all, we want to say this.  True Dungeon isn't going anywhere!  We are committed to toughing this out and being ready to go to the first show that is able to happen.  We don't know what that will be yet, but know that we have S1 and S2 completely ready to go, and S3 isn't far away from completion.  We are proud of the work our team has done in creating the sets, props, puzzles, and effects for the new modules and we are incredibly eager to entertain you as soon as we are able.

Posted by tinabear81

I'm hoping that they will be able to get the grants and loans quickly so their employees aren't completely screwed. Unemployment is useful, but it isn't enough to keep most people afloat. They aren't the only small gaming company that is going to be making announcements like this one. It must be the most terrible decision a small company can make; You either keep everyone employed and payt salaries until you are in bankruptcy or you lay off everyone and hope that the unemployment insurance payments don't eventually bankrupt you.

I have never played True Dungeon and I was really looking forward to it this year.

Posted by pshep999

I would still love to just continue with the plans to come to Indy, GC or not as I am only 2 hrs away and don’t drop insane amounts of money on downtown hotels. Would game away with anyone willing!!!!

Posted by andrewj.rager

Hey Gamers! 

I hope you are all staying safe, feeling well, and getting to game solo, online, or with your households. Haven't been on here in a bit as clearly not a priority at the moment but stopped by to catch up on all of the news.

I feel awful for the people at TD. Never participated in that but I've always heard great things and it seems to be a massive undertaking. I hope they will all be able to get back on their feet soon.

Just got to say October is gonna be insanity for Game companies if they are going to do Origins and Spiel on back to back weeks. 

100% I always use the BGG Origins summer preview as "What I need to see at Gen Con". Going to be interesting to see how game companies reveal their lineups for Summer and Fall 2020 without this platform. 

I'd love to see BGG or even Gen Con use their social media platforms and work with Board Game Content creators and companies to host a digital preview of upcoming games. I would love to help in this endeavor in any way that I can. 

Not going into Gen Con completely blind is huge for many attendees and we could all use a little guiding beacon of light in this crazy time. 

Here is to everyone's continued healthy and safety and to Gen Con happening whenever it is the best time to do so, be it the scheduled time as it stands or down the road. 

The most important thing is be good to each other. Thanks and take care! 

-AJ
Rolling With Roc 

Posted by grognard262

Comic Con just got canceled.  :(

Posted by redknight79 grognard262

Posted by hahnarama

It's everywhere. Panelists are posting on their verified Twitter accounts :(

Posted by kix

SDCC cancels, which ends Jul 25th.

But five days later, we have Gen Con.

Hrm.

Posted by lore seeker

The Comic Con cancellation combined with the date is kind of worrying.

But for whatever it's worth, GeekDad had a good point in their news about FFG's organized play cancellation (emphasis mine):

https://geekdad.com/2020/04/re-roll-this-weeks-tabletop-game-news-for-the-week-ending-april-17-2020/

Fantasy Flight has suspended all organized play for Legend of the Five Rings, Keyforge, and X-Wing Miniatures. All in-store events are canceled through September 1 and premiere level events through July 29. That last is an interesting date, as it’s the day before Gen Con is scheduled to begin, so the company is clearly leaving open the possibility that Gen Con will still happen as scheduled.

Posted by mikeptas

I am getting hopeful.  Just read a news article saying Indiana is looking to start phase one of the  lock-down rollback. 
"Gov. Eric Holcomb indicated on Thursday that the state will look to try and reopen the economy in early May.Holcomb said officials are “looking at the numbers … we want to see these numbers hold.”While he said he wants to hit the ground running, Holcomb acknowledged that it won't be a quick process.“It’ll be methodical, data driven, rolling, gradual, incremental process. It won’t go 0 to 100, not like flipping a light switch...we didn't arrive overnight and we won't get out of the woods overnight," he said.Holcomb issued a "stay-at-home" order that is set to expire on April 20."

So, hopeful...

Posted by the chronek

I don't see how Gen Con can go on at its normal time this year. Like Comic Con, Gen Con draws tens of thousands of unique attendees from around the world. Even if Indiana is open for business, how many of its neighbor states will be? The Chicago area has already cancelled multiple conventions, including the Blackhawks convention, which was scheduled to take place the weekend before Gen Con.

Gen Con draws many of its attendees from the midwest. Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio are all currently under stay-at-home orders.

I'd love for Gen Con to still happen as scheduled. I was looking forward to it as part of my summer vacation. But I have to be realistic. Even if it does go on as scheduled, do I really want to risk myself and my family as part of the experience?

Posted by mikeptas the chronek

the chronek wrote:
... But I have to be realistic. Even if it does go on as scheduled, do I really want to risk myself and my family as part of the experience?
I play fantasy games for fun.  As a rule I do my best to avoid being realistic in my hobbies, hopes and dreams.  I get enough of "realistic" at work.  

Posted by lore seeker the chronek

the chronek wrote:
I don't see how Gen Con can go on at its normal time this year. Like Comic Con, Gen Con draws tens of thousands of unique attendees from around the world. Even if Indiana is open for business, how many of its neighbor states will be? The Chicago area has already cancelled multiple conventions, including the Blackhawks convention, which was scheduled to take place the weekend before Gen Con.
Gen Con draws many of its attendees from the midwest. Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio are all currently under stay-at-home orders.
I'd love for Gen Con to still happen as scheduled. I was looking forward to it as part of my summer vacation. But I have to be realistic. Even if it does go on as scheduled, do I really want to risk myself and my family as part of the experience?

I'm from Michigan. MI and Ohio have already talked about starting to roll back the stay-at-home orders on May 1st. The key word there is "starting" - we don't know where they'll be in that process by the time Gen Con rolls around. But things aren't remaining static.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
13 14 15 17 19 20 21
13 14 15 17 19 20 21