Official Gen Con cancellation questions
( Locked)
1 2 3 5 7 8
1 2 3 5 7 8
Posted by gib_rebeg

I haven't seen this mentioned by Gencon. but was in the Indy Star.

In addition to confirming the cancellation of this year's event, it was announced that Gen Con has extended its contract with the city of Indianapolis for two years, keeping it in Central Indiana through 2026.

"That's a big deal. That shows that they continue to have confidence in Indianapolis and our city's ability to host and grow their convention," said Chris Gahl, a senior vice president at Visit Indy. "We want what's best for Gen Con in the long term, and that is evident by being able to work with this to cancel this year's show while also putting onto our convention and tourism books two additional years that keeps them safe and sound in Indy."

Posted by mikeboozer thesuperskrull

thesuperskrull wrote:
Just to echo/expand on a previous question: For people who have not yet bought a badge, can we still buy them and have them roll over? If so, what will be the cutoff for that? 
I usually buy my badge (and the badges for two friends) towards the deadline since we don't bother with the hotels (one of the friends lives in Greenwood and my sister lives in Avon). With the situation this year I wanted to wait until we had more information before buying. Now that we know the situation and that the badges can roll over, I am going to see what the other two want to do so I am wanting to know how long we have to decide. Thanks. 

You can buy them now and roll them over.

Don't have exact information about timelines for buying these. You should buy them now if you intend to.

Mike

Posted by madmaxneo

I, like many others, am sad to see Gencon cancelled this year. But I can agree why it was cancelled.

I am a collector of sorts and wonder if some of the collectibles will still be made available for 2020? Things like the dice (I do have the crystal caste site open and will be looking through that), the pins (I have one for every year I've attended so far), limited ed miniature paint brushes, and a variety of other small things sold from various vendors?

In reference to the last one: Is it possible to set up some kind of portal for the vendors so people can still peruse their wares and order stuff? Like an all in one portal instead of having to find and go to each site individually?

Posted by fellstrike madmaxneo

madmaxneo wrote:
I, like many others, am sad to see Gencon cancelled this year. But I can agree why it was cancelled.
I am a collector of sorts and wonder if some of the collectibles will still be made available for 2020? Things like the dice (I do have the crystal caste site open and will be looking through that), the pins (I have one for every year I've attended so far), limited ed miniature paint brushes, and a variety of other small things sold from various vendors?
In reference to the last one: Is it possible to set up some kind of portal for the vendors so people can still peruse their wares and order stuff? Like an all in one portal instead of having to find and go to each site individually?
That'd be awesome to see during the Gencon Online? A store portal or master link page of cool Gencon-related stuff from vendors. (I like to get a set of Gencon Dice if possible for example.) I know after ECCC cancelation I got sent several 'virtual ECCC shop' links and having them all in one place would be great!

Posted by kevinrg gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
I haven't seen this mentioned by Gencon. but was in the Indy Star.
In addition to confirming the cancellation of this year's event, it was announced that Gen Con has extended its contract with the city of Indianapolis for two years, keeping it in Central Indiana through 2026."That's a big deal. That shows that they continue to have confidence in Indianapolis and our city's ability to host and grow their convention," said Chris Gahl, a senior vice president at Visit Indy. "We want what's best for Gen Con in the long term, and that is evident by being able to work with this to cancel this year's show while also putting onto our convention and tourism books two additional years that keeps them safe and sound in Indy."

Good deal.  My guess is they have probably wanted to cancel it for some time, but had been working out the contract details to get it done and not have to wait for so many unknowns to play out.   The extension/cancellation were probably tied together.

Posted by garwalf

At this time, are there any plans to make any Trade Day events part of virtual Gen Con?

Posted by jillt

I hope they have the downloadable program with all the colorful pictures of new games, etc.  I know the events schedule and coupons would be a moot point but I love looking through it and getting ideas on the years I don’t go as well as the two that I did.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

So, Mike, I've noticed that all the dates to start requesting refunds, donations, etc. is May 26.  I'm guessing after what must have been a few very stressful months you guys are basically kicking back this week until the holiday weekend, and then hungover on Tuesday, get down to work? :-)

Posted by xrvx

As much as I love Gencon and am hype for it, this is 100% the right call for everyone's safety. 

Regarding the collector things, I would hope that the vendors who already have the items will just bring them next year such as the 2020 dice etc and hand them out. I'm sure most of them will be super chill and cool about things like that especially with the booklet. Gencon can ust make 2021 even BETTER since the covid knocked this one out.

Posted by ar6474 zakany

zakany wrote:
araubvogel wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
araubvogel wrote:
I'm surprised there is a $10 "return fee" for those who request refunds to the original form of purchase. Since the event is canceled, isn't Gen Con obligated to give a full refund, without any service charges?
We incur standard credit card processing fees for both the sale of a badge and the issuance of a badge. The fee is to cover those costs. We don’t make any money off of this fee.Mike
Understood, but I don't think you can pass those costs back to the customer for a canceled event.  The purchaser can argue that services were paid for and not provided.  If a credit card was used for the purchase, the credit card provider would undoubtedly require that you provide a full refund.
I believe that you are correct. When the airlines tried to avoid refunds, I know from personal experience that Visa immediately provided full refunds of disputed charges.
The refund process we agreed to at the time of purchase included the $10 hold back if we cancelled. The COVID addendum was not part of that agreement.
I'm also disappointed that the no-action default isn't a full refund. Rather, we have to jump through hoops in order to receive a partial refund for a cancelled event. Having to request a refund via email does not turn this into a user-requested refund situation.
 I will be out of the country August 2021, so no GenCon for me until 2022. That being said I will request my refund. Concerned over the $10 per ticket, I called American Express ( used AMEX for 4 tickets) and they said once GenCon issues the refund to call AMEX and they will credit the difference of the $10 per ticket ( total of $40 for my group) since this was a vendor cancelled event and not me cancelling the tickets. I am sure other CC companies would do the same. 

Posted by mikeboozer buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
So, Mike, I've noticed that all the dates to start requesting refunds, donations, etc. is May 26.  I'm guessing after what must have been a few very stressful months you guys are basically kicking back this week until the holiday weekend, and then hungover on Tuesday, get down to work? :-)

Quite frankly it's to catch up. There is a lot of other work that each person working for the company does that needs to be done.
I, for example have to attend to cancellation from the POV of the Event Staff and the VIG's. I also need to answer emails about corner cases, hotel inquiries, and people who immediately sent in asking for some type of refund or donating badges, and of course Guilder to frame for cancelling the convention.

I'm swamped.

Mike

Posted by mikeboozer garwalf

garwalf wrote:
At this time, are there any plans to make any Trade Day events part of virtual Gen Con?

Nothing at this time.

Sorry Mike, too mundane.  I want to imagine the entire Gen Con staff on a week long bender.

But, get some rest.  If you don’t have your health, you haven’t got anything.

Posted by dotificus

Any chance the auction will be part of Gen Con online? 

And Mike, thanks for being so attentive to the forum in the midst of everything. 

Posted by mikeboozer buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Sorry Mike, too mundane.  I want to imagine the entire Gen Con staff on a week long bender.

As you wish.

Posted by mikeboozer dotificus

dotificus wrote:
Any chance the auction will be part of Gen Con online? 
And Mike, thanks for being so attentive to the forum in the midst of everything. 

Thanks dotificus!

I know you're all curious about Gen Con Online. We are in the middle of planning that!

There are lots of possibilities. So there is a chance for many things that have taken place at Gen Con.

We don't have any more information about it right now other than what we have announced so I cannot confirm anything in particular.

Please stay tuned for information about it to appear on our website.

Mike

Posted by roderick mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:

As you wish.

Uh, oh, Mike's in love with BuffytheCatslayer, for as we know, "As you wish" really means "I love you". 

Uh, oh, Mike's in love with BuffytheCatslayer, for as we know, "As you wish" really means "I love you". 

Maybe when it's said to the drop-dead gorgeous farmer's daughter... me, not so much. 

Posted by dangado

First of all.. Thanks Mike & GenCon for the unexpected refund on the Hotel Cancellation fee!  I had canceled earlier as there was uncertainty still, but had not expected to get the Hotel Cancellation Fee back.  

For the rest who are worried about housing next year,  there should be several more nearby hotels available to choose from assuming that plans aren't delayed or canceled. 

Posted by roderick buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:

Maybe when it's said to the drop-dead gorgeous farmer's daughter... me, not so much. 

Hey, don't sell yourself short.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 3 5 7 8
1 2 3 5 7 8