Official Gen Con cancellation questions
( Locked)
2 3 4 6 8
2 3 4 6 8
Posted by buffythecatslayer

There's a reason my avatar is a picture of my dog. ;-)

Posted by roderick buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
There's a reason my avatar is a picture of my dog. ;-)

There is more to a person than physical attractiveness! There's depth of character, warmth of heart, flight of spirit, giddieness of whimsy, trust, honor, loyalty... the list goes on.   

Or just liking the same silly movie. 

Posted by helenbb

I'm curious to see how Cardhalla will work in an online edition... I can see it now: a virtual game to throw coins at the card masterpieces... 

Posted by quarex dotificus

dotificus wrote:Any chance the auction will be part of Gen Con online? 
And Mike, thanks for being so attentive to the forum in the midst of everything. 
Haha, I was thinking about the Auction myself (well, as I always do), as it is always the biggest convention draw for me personally and I was wondering if there was any way to have a fun auction virtually if the show were cancelled.  I cannot fathom there will be one, considering it would either just basically be "EBay but for gaming stuff" or have to be some sort of weird Zoom mega-event that I doubt anyone is particularly anxious to arrange, but it is still fun to contemplate.

Posted by pchgargoyle12

why was gen con not simply rescheduled to a later date, as was another large convention

Posted by matthias9 kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
gib_rebeg wrote:
I haven't seen this mentioned by Gencon. but was in the Indy Star.
In addition to confirming the cancellation of this year's event, it was announced that Gen Con has extended its contract with the city of Indianapolis for two years, keeping it in Central Indiana through 2026."That's a big deal. That shows that they continue to have confidence in Indianapolis and our city's ability to host and grow their convention," said Chris Gahl, a senior vice president at Visit Indy. "We want what's best for Gen Con in the long term, and that is evident by being able to work with this to cancel this year's show while also putting onto our convention and tourism books two additional years that keeps them safe and sound in Indy."

Good deal.  My guess is they have probably wanted to cancel it for some time, but had been working out the contract details to get it done and not have to wait for so many unknowns to play out.   The extension/cancellation were probably tied together.

Excellent point.  I 100% subscribe to this theory.  Most likely it was part of a negotiation, not that I expect them to share those financial details with us.  But, it does serve to underscore that cancelling creates a complicated financial situation and we needed to give them the space to operate.  I guarantee you that their staff were as concerned as anyone else about public health and always intended to work within recommendations.

Posted by choriqueso

[This post has been removed]

Posted by kd8esu pchgargoyle12

pchgargoyle12 wrote:
why was gen con not simply rescheduled to a later date, as was another large convention
There was probably a lot of logistical, location, and time issues with that idea.

Us nerds do forget that only weeks after Gen Con, football (pigskin) kicks into high gear, school starts back up in the Midwest, and the convention center isn't just for us.

Besides, people are already calling for the rescheduled Origins to cancel/delay again.  AT WORST, Gen Con kicked the ball far enough away that those fights won't be happening out loud for a few months.

Posted by matthias9

This whole situation has made me stop and evaluate the importance of Gen Con to me.

At age 18, I squeezed into the tiny backseat of a Chevette with another gamer for an arduous 350 mile drive to Gen Con 1986 in Milwaukee.  I've never looked back.  Since then, I have not missed attending a single one.  This year would have been my 35th in a row.

To some, going to a game convention is a brief getaway like a state fair or a renaissance festival.  To me, Gen Con is a lot more than that. It's an opportunity to game, yes.  But it also represents an annual tradition with my friends.  It's a week I don't have to be a dad.  I don't have to manage a worksite.  I catch up with friends, go out to eat a lot, learn a few new games.  It really frames my year to a large extent. 

My weekly gaming group keeps track of sessions, who played, what game was played, who won, what was the most popular game of the year, etc.  In that calculus, our game year isn't January to December, instead the year is from Gen Con to Gen Con. 

Looking back on past Gen Cons, some memorable highlights for me are:

• Meeting friends at the convention that I still maintain to this day.  One friend from another city hosted me overnight while I was there weekly for grad school
  • 1993; the watershed moment of discovering Magic: the Gathering early
  • Winning the Gen Con Diplomacy Tournament
  • A game of Illuminati where 3 of us colluded in advance and pretended we didn't know each other as we sat down at the table (we felt this was fully in the spirit of this game).  When it was down to us and one other player and he realized the situation, he threatened that he better not see me on the street when he was in his car. 
  • Hotel gaming together late Sunday night every year before long Monday drive.  Having Arkham Horror on the verge of success and then drawing the "Nothing Can Save you Now" card.
  • Hilarious moments in Are You a Werewolf
  • Success (or failure) with my friends in True Dungeon or Escape Rooms
  • Driving the entirely wrong direction the day after Gen Con 2017 in order to go see the total solar eclipse in Carbondale, IL

In short, Gen Con is important to me.  My only regret is that I didn't take more photos along the way.  Losing it this year is necessary, but still a gut punch. 

Thanks to all who put it on or help support it.  We'll be back.

Lastly, I've never read the forums here as thoroughly as I have this spring.  Shout-out to the relentless positivity of so many of you including memorable posts by deathdwarf, lehane, tinabear81 and many, many more.  Too many to list.  I'd buy you a drink if I could get within 6ft.  See you in 2021.

Posted by choriqueso

Posted by gskhaladon choriqueso

Posted by mikeboozer

Let's not get sidetracked into politics please. This is about Gen Con cancellation, and questions pertaining to that.

Mike

Posted by roderick

No Politics.

This is not the place for them. There is a whole, wide, internet out there where you can write political threads to your heart's delight. But not here. 

This is the way you get posts deleted, if nothing else. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Posted by mikeboozer roderick

roderick wrote:
No Politics.
This is not the place for them, there is a whole, wide internet out there wher e you can write political threads to your heart's delight. But not here. 
This is the way you get posts deleted, if nothing else. 
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Yeah what this guy said, lol.

Posted by roderick mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Let's not get sidetracked into politics please. This is about Gen Con cancellation, and questions pertaining to that.
Mike

Jinx!  You owe me a coke!

Posted by choriqueso

Damn, I thought I was on the right side of the argument too. Oh well. I guess there won't be any issue getting a prime hotel room this year. I wonder if anyone's planning a DIY GC in downtown Indy in honor of tradition and to support local business. I would still go to get some tasty Bee coffee!

Posted by cmegus pchgargoyle12

pchgargoyle12 wrote:

Because the Colts have dibs... and then it snows. :)

G

Posted by del_grande pchgargoyle12

pchgargoyle12 wrote:why was gen con not simply rescheduled to a later date, as was another large convention

If you are referring to a large convention held in the capital city of a state adjacent to Indiana, that convention didn't have to compete with other cancelled conventions for the few spots available when that city's NFL team (which it doesn't have) needed use of the arena that is now part of GenCon. In fact, rescheduling the convention freed up hotel space, as the previous date was shared with that city's PRIDE parade, which will now be held the week before the convention.

Posted by pchgargoyle12

i

Posted by pchgargoyle12

in 1993 GenCon teamed up with Origins, to keep the convention from cancelling, WHY NOT do anything and everything possible to keep GenCon going? online convention give me a break. people look forward to this all year, states are relaxing restrictions - vacations have been set, now with 70+ days to go - Oh lets cancel with things getting back to normal.  

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 3 4 6 8
2 3 4 6 8