Official Gen Con cancellation questions
( Locked)
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7
Posted by squirecam

Thank you for the update and new thread.

I will be rolling over my badge in order to help. Will there be a badge "charge" or donation for Gencon online to give further help? And does Gencon plan on special merchandise that may also provide revenue for it? What are the ways as a community we might be able to help further?

Posted by urthorn

I would definitely purchase a Gen Con 2020 shirt, or a "see you in 2021" version, to help with finances.

Posted by jimdigris

Could Gencon consider keeping the housing lottery positions of those who roll over their badges?

Posted by menotyou9 urthorn

urthorn wrote:
I would definitely purchase a Gen Con 2020 shirt, or a "see you in 2021" version, to help with finances.
I was looking forward to all the D20D20 themed shirts too.

Posted by mikeboozer jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:
Could Gencon consider keeping the housing lottery positions of those who roll over their badges?

Many things were considered. However we will not be keeping lottery positions.

Mike

Posted by toliverridenour mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
itsugat wrote:
Please consider extending the same time slots to the hotel lottery for 2021, or is there any way to keep our hotel reservations for 2021?

This is just not a fair policy for everyone. People with preferable time slots will be in favor of it and people without them will not be in favor.Mike
How is this not a fair policy? Or are you saying the lottery system this year [/in general] wasn't fair? Seems like this would just be a massive extension of the way you dole out room assignments all ready. It just treats anyone who buys a ticket after today like they had purchased one after the room portal times had been sent out normally, adding them into the cue at the back of the line.

Posted by mikeboozer squirecam

squirecam wrote:
Thank you for the update and new thread.
I will be rolling over my badge in order to help. Will there be a badge "charge" or donation for Gencon online to give further help? And does Gencon plan on special merchandise that may also provide revenue for it? What are the ways as a community we might be able to help further?

Thank you. Right now the option of donating your badge cost to Gen Con is the way to help out.
Just email [email protected] and let us know if you would like to do that!

There will be merchandise, however we don't have any information on it at this time.

Posted by komoridarkclaw akb

akb wrote:
Are you guys going to be selling the GC2020 merch?  I would like to own part of the con that wasn't.
"Nothing can replace being at Gen Con in person, but we hope you’ll join us in donning our sweet Gen Con 2020 gear to play games and celebrate the things that bring us together. More details and announcements to follow soon! Sign up for our newsletter and follow us on social media for the latest updates. "

Posted by kevinrg

Seems like the hotel queue could only be carried over if you have a backup of the randomized queue list.   If they don't have that, then can't be done regardless.   Sometimes fair (or similar verbiage) is substituted for can't.   People seem to react to 'fair' differently than 'can't'.    

With probably reduced staffing/man-hours because of the economic impact to their business, resetting the queue would probably just be the most cost effective also.

I had a downtown room.. not mad.  Is what it is...

Posted by urielblue mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
randrac wrote:
So for those who managed to get a downtown hotel, the lottery will be completely redone next year and we will be at the mercy of next year's lottery?

Correct. Hotel slot times are not rolling over.Mike

Posted by qwaserity

Insane/Not Insane Question: Can we still buy tickets for GenCon 2020/21? I was about to even if it was cancelled and would have carried over to next year. Unlike most of the world my job hasn't been affected directly by the pandemic.

Posted by urielblue

Danggit! I had hoped (Spent a Luck Point, even!) they my sweet JW Marriot reservation would carry over.
ah, well.

Mike, thanks for all of the diligent work that you (and the whole GC team) Have done overall, and specifically in keeping the threads relevant to the issues.
i look forward to having the chance to buy you a beer (Or a Dr.Pepper, or whatever, in case you don’t drink...) in 2021.

Posted by jimdigris

Have they made the convention-exclusive D6 dice yet?  If so, could we pay a shipping fee for them to send us the dice for the convention that never was?

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios

I'm definitely disappointed, but understand the need to make a call now. I'll roll my badge over and hope for a better time slot for housing. Guess I'll have to throw a local gaming convention this year in August instead.

Posted by chaos62417

Mike can you please confirm that if I roll over the purchase of my 2020 badge for a 2021 badge that I will in fact be getting a badge equal to my purchase and not a monetary credit that I would need to put towards a badge next year. I would like to be assured that if there is a price increase on 4 day badges that I do not need to worry about this cost as my badge has already been purchased.

Posted by qwaserity

Denial - No...they can't be cancelling...
Bargaining - Maybe it'll be a smaller venue this year.
Depression - But I need my Gen Con!
Anger - (I really skipped this step...)
Acceptance - Okay, so how can I help with Gen Con Virtual?

No, seriously, how can I help with a virtual Gen Con? I'm just started dipping into Tabletop Simulator but I've been teaching (math, karate, board games) for years and I'm really good at it...

We need a new forum for GCV (Gen Con Virtual).

Posted by tdb

It's very sad to hear it officially, though I have been expecting it for a while.  I have no doubt it's the right decision.  I'm glad GC made the call now rather than waiting any longer. 

I don't participate in the housing lottery, so I have no dog in that hunt.  But it does seem to me to be a huge logistical headache to roll the time slots forward to next year, if it's even possible at all.  Given that the company is going to be pretty short on money this year, and still has to make 2021 happen, jumping through a lot of hoops to make sure that everyone who got a good housing slot this year gets one next year has to be pretty close to the bottom of the priority list.

Dittos on 2020 dice - I'd be glad to buy a set.

Finally, what is the best way to support GC and make sure they're still around and able to put on a great con next year?  Do they make enough on the branded merchandise to be significant?

Posted by tdb

I would also be glad to participate in GCV.  I've been running games via Fantasy Grounds for 12 years, and have been fooling around with Tabletop Simulator a bit during the lockdown.

Posted by wildcat78 jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:
Have they made the convention-exclusive D6 dice yet?  If so, could we pay a shipping fee for them to send us the dice for the convention that never was?

Crystal Caste sent a letter to their customers that they had manufactured the dice (And apparently had a cool design for this year) but they did not indicate if they were able to sell them - I recommend going to their website and/or sending them an e-mail.   I plan on buying a bunch myself and supporting as many vendors as I can so they can all make it to 2021.   

Posted by mindstar

I think if Gencon would have given us the option to retain our hotel number more people would be likely to let the money stay in the account. If I keep a credit there is no guarantee that if Gencon does not comeback in 2021 that I would get a refund. Losing out on the money from the 3 tickets I purchased is too much of a risk.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 5 6 7
1 3 5 6 7