Official Gen Con cancellation questions
( Locked)
1 2 4 6 7 8
1 2 4 6 7 8
Posted by mikeboozer chaos62417
#76

chaos62417 wrote:
Mike can you please confirm that if I roll over the purchase of my 2020 badge for a 2021 badge that I will in fact be getting a badge equal to my purchase and not a monetary credit that I would need to put towards a badge next year. I would like to be assured that if there is a price increase on 4 day badges that I do not need to worry about this cost as my badge has already been purchased.

Yes, I can confirm that. If there is a badge price increase for 2021 you will already have a badge bought (rolled over). 
There will be no additional charge for that badge unless of course you refund it at some point and then repurchase.

Mike

Posted by mindstar urielblue
#77

uriel-393 wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
randrac wrote:
So for those who managed to get a downtown hotel, the lottery will be completely redone next year and we will be at the mercy of next year's lottery?

Correct. Hotel slot times are not rolling over.Mike
Of course it happens when I get a great hotel. The sad part is that my youngest son will be entering the Army next year so this was our last Gencon together.

Posted by zakany araubvogel
#78

araubvogel wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
araubvogel wrote:
I'm surprised there is a $10 "return fee" for those who request refunds to the original form of purchase. Since the event is canceled, isn't Gen Con obligated to give a full refund, without any service charges?
We incur standard credit card processing fees for both the sale of a badge and the issuance of a badge. The fee is to cover those costs. We don’t make any money off of this fee.Mike
Understood, but I don't think you can pass those costs back to the customer for a canceled event.  The purchaser can argue that services were paid for and not provided.  If a credit card was used for the purchase, the credit card provider would undoubtedly require that you provide a full refund.
I believe that you are correct. When the airlines tried to avoid refunds, I know from personal experience that Visa immediately provided full refunds of disputed charges.
The refund process we agreed to at the time of purchase included the $10 hold back if we cancelled. The COVID addendum was not part of that agreement.
I'm also disappointed that the no-action default isn't a full refund. Rather, we have to jump through hoops in order to receive a partial refund for a cancelled event. Having to request a refund via email does not turn this into a user-requested refund situation.

Posted by buffythecatslayer
#79

The links for the 2 Charity Partners under Programs & Events simply return to the Gen Con main page with a "Page was not found" error.  Can you please get those updated so if we want to donate to those charities we can?  Thanks.

Posted by roganca zakany
#80

zakany wrote:
araubvogel wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
araubvogel wrote:
I'm surprised there is a $10 "return fee" for those who request refunds to the original form of purchase. Since the event is canceled, isn't Gen Con obligated to give a full refund, without any service charges?
We incur standard credit card processing fees for both the sale of a badge and the issuance of a badge. The fee is to cover those costs. We don’t make any money off of this fee.Mike
Understood, but I don't think you can pass those costs back to the customer for a canceled event.  The purchaser can argue that services were paid for and not provided.  If a credit card was used for the purchase, the credit card provider would undoubtedly require that you provide a full refund.
I believe that you are correct. When the airlines tried to avoid refunds, I know from personal experience that Visa immediately provided full refunds of disputed charges.
The refund process we agreed to at the time of purchase included the $10 hold back if we cancelled. The COVID addendum was not part of that agreement.
I'm also disappointed that the no-action default isn't a full refund. Rather, we have to jump through hoops in order to receive a partial refund for a cancelled event. Having to request a refund via email does not turn this into a user-requested refund situation.

"Partial" refund? An 88.6% refund of a mere hundred-some dollars has you up in arms? Gee criminy.

Posted by mikeboozer zakany
#81

zakany wrote:
araubvogel wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
araubvogel wrote:
I'm surprised there is a $10 "return fee" for those who request refunds to the original form of purchase. Since the event is canceled, isn't Gen Con obligated to give a full refund, without any service charges?
We incur standard credit card processing fees for both the sale of a badge and the issuance of a badge. The fee is to cover those costs. We don’t make any money off of this fee.Mike
Understood, but I don't think you can pass those costs back to the customer for a canceled event.  The purchaser can argue that services were paid for and not provided.  If a credit card was used for the purchase, the credit card provider would undoubtedly require that you provide a full refund.
I believe that you are correct. When the airlines tried to avoid refunds, I know from personal experience that Visa immediately provided full refunds of disputed charges.
The refund process we agreed to at the time of purchase included the $10 hold back if we cancelled. The COVID addendum was not part of that agreement.
I'm also disappointed that the no-action default isn't a full refund. Rather, we have to jump through hoops in order to receive a partial refund for a cancelled event. Having to request a refund via email does not turn this into a user-requested refund situation.

The policy to have a refund only via email protects both you the attendee and Gen Con form any mistakes. You have a record of the interaction and we have a record of your request as well as sending you a confirmation of the action taken.

Mike

Posted by tinabear81
#82

Mike,
Do you have any idea when we should start looking for a donate to Gen Con button on the website? I'm rolling over my badge, buying some swag, and signing up for housing lottery again next year. Given that I would very much like there to be a Gen Con next year, what other things can we do to help?

Posted by jhs
#83

Mike et al, you are all great.  I appreciate everything you all do, and know this is much worse for the gencon team then me.  I will do what I can to help, and will see you in 2021, which will put the 50th anniversary to shame.  I already can’t wait.

Posted by buffythecatslayer
#84

Rather, we have to jump through hoops in order to receive a partial refund

Oh no, you have to send an email!!!

The horror!

 

Posted by anneep
#85

I will roll over to next year but want to make sure if part of my group cannot go next year if we can still cancel and get a refund minus the 10$ fee.

Posted by buffythecatslayer anneep
#86

anneep wrote:I will roll over to next year but want to make sure if part of my group cannot go next year if we can still cancel and get a refund minus the 10$ fee.

From the announcement:
After July 29, all 2020 badges will be rolled over to 2021. If you miss that window or decide later you'd like a refund, you can request one beginning February 1, 2021.

Posted by bradmoviepro581
#87

I have three questions:

1: Can anyone attend Gencon online, or only Gencon 2020 attendees?

2: Can you please keep us up to date as much as possible on Gencon 2021 capacity (I was going to miss this years Gencon, but was planning on attending next year)?

3: Will Popup Gencon still happen or will it be effectively cancelled too?

Thanks

Posted by brooks bradmoviepro581
#88

bradmoviepro581 wrote:
3: Will Popup Gencon still happen or will it be effectively cancelled too?
Thanks

All Pop-Up Gen Con events will also be canceled for 2020

Posted by mikeboozer bradmoviepro581
#89

bradmoviepro581 wrote:
I have three questions:
1: Can anyone attend Gencon online, or only Gencon 2020 attendees?
2: Can you please keep us up to date as much as possible on Gencon 2021 capacity (I was going to miss this years Gencon, but was planning on attending next year)?
3: Will Popup Gencon still happen or will it be effectively cancelled too?
Thanks

1. Anyone.
2. Yeah, too many moving parts here. Your best bet here is to make sure you buy a badge when they go on sale and not wait for the 2021 show. We do send out newsletters when the show is getting close to selling out.
3.  It is cancelled as well.

Posted by jedibcg
#90

Is this thread just intended for questions about the cancellation or discussion as well?  I don't want to start another thread if discussions can be had here, but if they cannot then a separate thread for that seems warranted.

Posted by mikeboozer jedibcg
#91

jedibcg wrote:
Is this thread just intended for questions about the cancellation or discussion as well?  I don't want to start another thread if discussions can be had here, but if they cannot then a separate thread for that seems warranted.

It is a thread about the cancellation but I guess I assumed that there would be discussion about that as a matter of fact.

So, yes ask your questions here as long as they pertain to the show specifically.

Mike

Posted by mhayward1978 mikeboozer
#92

mikeboozer wrote:
araubvogel wrote:
I'm surprised there is a $10 "return fee" for those who request refunds to the original form of purchase. Since the event is canceled, isn't Gen Con obligated to give a full refund, without any service charges?
We incur standard credit card processing fees for both the sale of a badge and the issuance of a badge. The fee is to cover those costs. We don’t make any money off of this fee.Mike

If the fee is to offset payment processing fees, why is Gen Con charging a flat $10 instead of 2.9% of the purchased badge price + 30 cents or whatever the actual transaction fees are?

Gen Con should be refunding the entire badge cost.  The fact that Gen Con bears expenses to process payments and issue badges is not relevant.  Gen Con has cancelled an event and the right thing to do is to refund the entire purchase price to customers who want a refund, rather than shifting Gen Con's cost of doing business onto their customers who will get nothing from Gen Con this year.

If Gen Con will not do this, they should at least be fully transparent about why and what the actual fees are for each badge price.

Gen Con's payment processing and issuance fees are not exactly $10 on every badge purchase.

Also, if Gen Con wants to charge us for "issuing" badges, then they should find a way to provide us with our souvenir 2020 physical badges, perhaps included with our 2021 orders.

Gen Con should do the right thing and refund the full value of the badge to people who want it.  If that is fiscally harmful to Gen Con, then Gen Con should issue incentives (like $10 extra store credit for 2021 rollovers) to encourage people to not exercise the refund option.
 

Posted by rhapsodic_college_dropout
#93

We'll be rolling over our badges for next year, and are willing to donate more for further help.

While losing my sweet, sweet 12:15 hotel time this year stings a little bit, I'm happy to go through the emotional ringer of housing lottery next year: it just wouldn't be Gen Con without it. Stay safe ya'll. 

Posted by fritzbgb
#94

Like just about everyone else, I'm disappointed at the news, but it was almost certainly the right call under the circumstances. 

This would have been the tenth year in a row my brother and I attended; we will just roll over our badges to next year.  I'll miss it all, especially the friend I see every year; we first started talking on the internet in 2003 (on a Ghostbusters fan site) and meet up face to face at GenCon; since then he's gone from attendee to exhibitor.

Anyway, I guess since somebody has to do it:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20210805T10&p0=105&font=cursive

Only 442 days!

Posted by thesuperskrull
#95

Just to echo/expand on a previous question: For people who have not yet bought a badge, can we still buy them and have them roll over? If so, what will be the cutoff for that? 

I usually buy my badge (and the badges for two friends) towards the deadline since we don't bother with the hotels (one of the friends lives in Greenwood and my sister lives in Avon). With the situation this year I wanted to wait until we had more information before buying. Now that we know the situation and that the badges can roll over, I am going to see what the other two want to do so I am wanting to know how long we have to decide. Thanks. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4 6 7 8
1 2 4 6 7 8