The links for the 2 Charity Partners under Programs & Events simply return to the Gen Con main page with a "Page was not found" error. Can you please get those updated so if we want to donate to those charities we can? Thanks.
Do you have any idea when we should start looking for a donate to Gen Con button on the website? I'm rolling over my badge, buying some swag, and signing up for housing lottery again next year. Given that I would very much like there to be a Gen Con next year, what other things can we do to help?
Mike et al, you are all great. I appreciate everything you all do, and know this is much worse for the gencon team then me. I will do what I can to help, and will see you in 2021, which will put the 50th anniversary to shame. I already can’t wait.
Rather, we have to jump through hoops in order to receive a partial refund
I will roll over to next year but want to make sure if part of my group cannot go next year if we can still cancel and get a refund minus the 10$ fee.
After July 29, all 2020 badges will be rolled over to 2021. If you miss that window or decide later you'd like a refund, you can request one beginning February 1, 2021.
I have three questions:
1: Can anyone attend Gencon online, or only Gencon 2020 attendees?
2: Can you please keep us up to date as much as possible on Gencon 2021 capacity (I was going to miss this years Gencon, but was planning on attending next year)?
3: Will Popup Gencon still happen or will it be effectively cancelled too?
Is this thread just intended for questions about the cancellation or discussion as well? I don't want to start another thread if discussions can be had here, but if they cannot then a separate thread for that seems warranted.
So, yes ask your questions here as long as they pertain to the show specifically.
Gen Con should be refunding the entire badge cost. The fact that Gen Con bears expenses to process payments and issue badges is not relevant. Gen Con has cancelled an event and the right thing to do is to refund the entire purchase price to customers who want a refund, rather than shifting Gen Con's cost of doing business onto their customers who will get nothing from Gen Con this year.
If Gen Con will not do this, they should at least be fully transparent about why and what the actual fees are for each badge price.
Gen Con's payment processing and issuance fees are not exactly $10 on every badge purchase.
Also, if Gen Con wants to charge us for "issuing" badges, then they should find a way to provide us with our souvenir 2020 physical badges, perhaps included with our 2021 orders.
Gen Con should do the right thing and refund the full value of the badge to people who want it. If that is fiscally harmful to Gen Con, then Gen Con should issue incentives (like $10 extra store credit for 2021 rollovers) to encourage people to not exercise the refund option.
We'll be rolling over our badges for next year, and are willing to donate more for further help.
While losing my sweet, sweet 12:15 hotel time this year stings a little bit, I'm happy to go through the emotional ringer of housing lottery next year: it just wouldn't be Gen Con without it. Stay safe ya'll.
Like just about everyone else, I'm disappointed at the news, but it was almost certainly the right call under the circumstances.
This would have been the tenth year in a row my brother and I attended; we will just roll over our badges to next year. I'll miss it all, especially the friend I see every year; we first started talking on the internet in 2003 (on a Ghostbusters fan site) and meet up face to face at GenCon; since then he's gone from attendee to exhibitor.
Anyway, I guess since somebody has to do it:
Only 442 days!
Just to echo/expand on a previous question: For people who have not yet bought a badge, can we still buy them and have them roll over? If so, what will be the cutoff for that?
I usually buy my badge (and the badges for two friends) towards the deadline since we don't bother with the hotels (one of the friends lives in Greenwood and my sister lives in Avon). With the situation this year I wanted to wait until we had more information before buying. Now that we know the situation and that the badges can roll over, I am going to see what the other two want to do so I am wanting to know how long we have to decide. Thanks.