Discord Server
Posted by markwalt

Has a GenCon discord server been set up yet?  I see various pages talking about one, but I haven't sussed out how to connect.

Posted by stahlnee

Discord had bogged down when more than 4 people were in the same room the last few times I tried it. It was so bad for audio that I won't use it to run games and I will avoid games being run on it.

Posted by derekguder

It has not launched yet - details for the Discord server will be announced over the coming weeks.

-
Derek Guder
Senior Event & Program Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by jevertt

I run games with friends in a Discord server channel and its generally really good quality. Most of us are in the same region and the server is configured for that region (usually, with 4 participants). I'm running a couple of online RPGs during GenCon, using Discord. Curious if others have had similar experiences to stahlee and if they've found other platforms to be better.

I suspect that this is very local-internet dependent and less dependent on the platform you are using. With group video, you have a central server gathering video streams and sending those back out - so, the platform's servers are in the path. If those platform servers are well connected to individuals (usually this aligns with physical proximity - which is why some of the platforms, like discord, allow you to select your server location - but, with GenCon, I suspect we'll get people from all over the US, at least). 

Posted by jevertt

@derekguder - Is the intent of that server to create channels for games scheduled games? Or just a chat server?

Posted by cloak72 stahlnee

stahlnee wrote:
Discord had bogged down when more than 4 people were in the same room the last few times I tried it. It was so bad for audio that I won't use it to run games and I will avoid games being run on it.
I strongly recommend checking your setup.   I am routinely in voice channels that have six or more members present and active, and have never encountered this...

Posted by markwalt derekguder

derekguder wrote:
It has not launched yet - details for the Discord server will be announced over the coming weeks.
-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC
Thanks!

Posted by derekguder jevertt

jevertt wrote:
@derekguder - Is the intent of that server to create channels for games scheduled games? Or just a chat server?

The Gen Con Discord server is not intended to directly play games in. It will be used for communication about the convention, support for different platforms, finding more players if games aren't full, etc.

There will not be video or audio chat rooms provided for individual games.

Everyone is welcome to run games on Discord if they want to, either through a group conversation or setting up their own server. I would actually recommend that gaming groups and companies strongly consider setting up their own servers for that use, particularly if they want to grow a long-term community or are used to having their own room at the convention.

-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC

Posted by stahlnee

Good use for discord. People need to keep in mind that you can't restrict who signs up for your game. Be ready to handle South America, North American, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia at the same time.

Posted by hendelbolaf

I run with Skype for audio as I have been disappointed too many times with Discord. To be honest Discord was not originally meant to be an audio/visual platform whereas Skype was from the beginning. I just prefer Skype, but it may just be a personal decision.

Posted by peachyquiche

So has the Discord been set up? I've got questions about the D&D AL sessions I'll be participating in.

Posted by derekguder

Gen Con's Discord server has not launched yet, but if you have questions about specific events or organizations, you'll want to reach out to them directly. Most events should have an email address or website listed you can visit for direct contact information.

Some of them will have their own Discord servers set up, by this point.

-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC

Posted by markwalt

Any idea as to when it'll be available?

Posted by narzat peachyquiche

peachyquiche wrote:
So has the Discord been set up? I've got questions about the D&D AL sessions I'll be participating in.

The Discord server for the Baldman Games AL is https://discord.gg/jCCgMWh

Posted by massbigpotato

The Big Potato Games Discord server is: https://discord.gg/NZc7c5U

Posted by marimaccadmin

I think early next week it will be up.

Posted by genconbeau

Looks like the site was updated in the last day or so. No obvious links and searching Discord doesn't yield a result yet so hopefully it is imminent!

Posted by morganwilliams24

Any update on the Discord server? I can't see how to connect yet. :)

Posted by dfuria

I'm starting to get questions from event attendees. Other cons have had a designated Discord and text/chat channels by event. Happy to use those if they're available, but need to know soon.

Posted by derekguder

Please review the Event Host Policy and HostHost page - as well as our list of recommended third-party platforms.

Ultimately, Gen Con is not providing any platform to play games online. Event organizers and GMs will want to set up their own Discord servers or channels, Roll20 game, etc. You can then share any access link or information with your players about 30 minutes before the event begins.

When you submitted your event, you were required to specify the platform you intended to use - what did you enter?

-
Derek Guder
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.