Let's assume Gen Con happens...
2 4
2 4
Posted by nscott qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
I often tell people when they travel to do the things they can't do at home. My GenCon version includes:
D&D Monster Mash (I replicated this in Tabletop Simulator but it's just not the same.)
Love playing in a round of Monster Mash at Gen Con. Without the table talk among 20 players and a GM to egg everyone on, I could see why it doesn't feel the same on Tabletop Simulator.

Posted by kar8a

I love Monster Mash.  And yeah, I can't imagine that working well online. 

I mean, LOTS of games don't work well online.  Heck, I don't think a game Con works well, either.  I tried to watch some of the Gencon spring event this weekend, and ummm, paint drying was sometimes more entertaining (I only lasted at a late night thing for about 15 minutes).  You just lose so much not being able to feed off each other's energy at a table, and having back and forths between multiple people in a free rolling conversation (not to mention, the ability for side chats, etc)...

Posted by kevinrg

I'm probably rare in this, but I don't track when new things are coming out or even pay attention.   I kind of wander around from booth to booth, see something and think 'Oh ya.. forgot that was coming out' or 'Didn't know that was coming out' and then buy. 

Works well in that since I don't pay attention to what is coming out, I don't ever miss out on anything or feel I need to be at the front of the line and do a mad really-fast-paced-walk to the vendor booth.   

Posted by kidlidar lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
kidlidar wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
After seeing Puffin Forest's video about his Deadlands game, I'm very interested in trying that out (assuming anyone's running a game) and possibly getting the core book (if it's even still in print). It sounds like a very cool setting.
You can get the core rulebook from Pinnacle.  The published a 20th anniversary edition in 2018, and I think it's still in print.  Deadlands (Classic rules) is one of my favorite games to play.  Unique rules that make everyone pause.

Cool! Thanks for the info!Are the 20th Anniversary rules the same as the classic ones?
there are 2 versions of the rules for the Deadlands RPG.  Savage worlds rules and classic.  The 20th anniversary rules are the same as classic.  The savage worlds rules aren't as fun for me, but that's just my opinion.

Posted by ematuskey

I want to play more Cypher System games (especially any non-Numenera flavors)--I'm trying to get more familiar with the system, and want to play it more before I try running some games. 

I'm also always on the lookout for Star Trek RPGs. 

Posted by tinabear81

I really enjoyed the Zombie Orpheus RPG game I played in 2019, so I'd like to do that again. They had a great mechanic that basically had a central dice pool that could be used by either the GM or the Party for "ridiculously stupid and implausible things".  Ticket to Ride Tourney was nice. Pathfinder 1e games would be fun. Starfinder, Artemis, Overlight, Numenera (I've never gotten to play), True Dungeon, a 1st edition or AD&D game would scratch my nostalgia itch, and playing some of my favorite games with different folks is nice...so Wingspan, Azul, Splendor, Sagrada, etc. I've also wanted to do a few of the "spouse" activities like etching my own glassware or a few other things. Mini-painting instruction...

I mean... GenCon really isn't long enough for me to do all the things I want to do and still shower, sleep, and eat... Gencon needs to be longer.

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios

As far as other things I'm planning on doing at GC2021, this is going to be the year I take a bunch of painting classes. Specifically basing, as I really kind of suck at being that creative to come up with interesting bases for my minis.

Posted by qwaserity

SIDE CHATS! O. M. G. I've have the best discussions in lines at GenCon whether waiting for the consignment hall or just getting Subway.

Posted by fethbone kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
I'm probably rare in this, but I don't track when new things are coming out or even pay attention.   I kind of wander around from booth to booth, see something and think 'Oh ya.. forgot that was coming out' or 'Didn't know that was coming out' and then buy. 
Works well in that since I don't pay attention to what is coming out, I don't ever miss out on anything or feel I need to be at the front of the line and do a mad really-fast-paced-walk to the vendor booth.   

I mostly do this too for games. I really look forward to being surprised at what is new and demo-ing indie/small production games.

However, I do comb through the other events pretty thoroughly beforehand and look forward to building my excel schedule each year around those. 

Posted by bradleynoxon

Looking forward to playing the new dune rpg and tainted grail

Posted by davidschneider

I love the auction room and the fun associated with it.  I also love hunting down the buttons (yup, I know.  But I get a kick out of the hunt!) lol

Posted by jillt

Oh yeah, the buttons.  I’m on a teddy bear photo forum and I was putting the buttons on my bears’ costumes as I brought three stuffies to Gen Con and I got a lot of positive attention LOL

Posted by jpederso qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
SIDE CHATS! O. M. G. I've have the best discussions in lines at GenCon whether waiting for the consignment hall or just getting Subway.
That is always one of my favorite things to do, also.  The conversations you have waiting in the will call line or while you're waiting to get into the consignment store.   As for games I'm looking forward to: I have tried for years to get into a game of Gamma World and I will try again this year.  Will definitely get into a game of Dungeon Crawl or Mutant Crawl classics.  Great way to start a Saturday.

Posted by lore seeker davidschneider

davidschneider wrote:
I love the auction room and the fun associated with it.

The consignment store is the best! It's a big treasure hunt, with background music consisting of some very interesting items being auctioned off.

Posted by davidschneider lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
davidschneider wrote:

The consignment store is the best! It's a big treasure hunt, with background music consisting of some very interesting items being auctioned off.

Oh yes. I could spend the whole time in the Consignment Store and Auction Room and have the best time!

Posted by gib_rebeg

Bit of good news that may help give an indication to a possible Gencon.

Gamehole Con in Madison Wisconsin just updated their status from wait and see to going forward. Even have submitted full dates.

Event Dates - Oct. 21st - Oct. 24th
Please keep checking back for information on our important dates!
Housing Portal Opens - April 1st at 12PM CST
Event Submissions Open - May 1st noon CST
VIG Renewals Open - June 15th noon CST
Main Registration Opens - July 1st noon CST
VIG Event Registration Opens - August 15th noon CST
General Event Registration Opens - September 1st noon CST

Keep in mind, Wisconsin has been under fairly hard lockdown since this whole thing started. So for them to be able to go forward is promising.

Posted by jillt

Wisconsin was not under a fairly hard lockdown since this whole thing started.  I have a friend living there and a cousin and people were escaping from Illinois to go party over the border in Lake Geneva since last spring.  They were very lax on masks, governor ordered bars all open in state, etc.  But hey, hopefully the rvent in October does take place as a lot can happen between now and the.  It does help to stay positive.  

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios davidschneider

davidschneider wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
davidschneider wrote:

Oh yes. I could spend the whole time in the Consignment Store and Auction Room and have the best time!

Oh, yes, The GC Auction, where my time and money just seem to disappear. However, I do seem to walk out with a lot more games than when I walked in. The staff is incredible to be able to get through as much stuff as they do.

Posted by njseahawksfan jpederso

jpederso wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
That is always one of my favorite things to do, also.  The conversations you have waiting in the will call line or while you're waiting to get into the consignment store.   As for games I'm looking forward to: I have tried for years to get into a game of Gamma World and I will try again this year.  Will definitely get into a game of Dungeon Crawl or Mutant Crawl classics.  Great way to start a Saturday.

I know I have shared this before, but one of my all time favorite GenCon moments, wasn't a game or seminar, but it was just walking down the hall with a few friends amongst the sea of other attendees.  One of my friends just starts singing the chorus to "Sister Christian" for absolutely no reason at all.  Within 15 seconds there are 30 people, most of whom had no idea who the other people were, belting out "MOTORIN!!" while walking down the hallway together.  We all have a laugh and go our separate ways.  That's the spirit of GenCon to me.  That's what I really look forward to whenever we get a chance to meet again in person.

Posted by quarex oldcurmudgeonstudios

oldcurmudgeonstudios wrote:
davidschneider wrote:
father bloodlust wrote:
davidschneider wrote:

Oh, yes, The GC Auction, where my time and money just seem to disappear. However, I do seem to walk out with a lot more games than when I walked in. The staff is incredible to be able to get through as much stuff as they do.

I am working a FEMA mass vaccination center right now, and as possibly the only auctioneer/vaccination registrar crossover person, I have to say there are lots of weird deja vu/flashback moments for me; it probably helps that we are operating out of a convention center and the chairs people are waiting in after getting their vaccinations are virtually the same as the ones in the Indianapolis Convention Center that people sit in during the Auction, haha.

Dang, I miss the Auction.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4
2 4